PDA

View Full Version : Is this the right machine for me?

wespor
11-19-2013, 06:18 PM
I don't see as I have a choice considering the price, it would take me a while to save enough for a Shark Pro or ShopBot but that would be a better alternative than reselling this machine at a loss if it can't fulfill my needs. I'm very impressed with CarveWright's abillity to do long cuts but for my business my focus is on small detail. I need to create positive dies/stamps I can use with a press to emboss leather and to create negative moulds for casting latex. All of my files will be created in Rhino3D and imported over.

Another important point for me is that I live in Houston, not far from the CW headquarters. Getting parts and repairs would be pretty easy.

Objectively, what do you guys think?

Digitalwoodshop
11-19-2013, 07:05 PM
It sounds to me that what you are trying to accomplish is within the limits of the machine... I would hook up with someone and send them a file to convert and cut... That would answer your questions.

Even consider keeping after you get the bigger machine....

Don't focus on the loss to sell... Glass half empty... It is really a Glass half full.... The skills you will learn and the projects accomplished...

Great first post... Welcome.....

AL

fwharris
11-19-2013, 07:25 PM
There is a carver up in New York state I believe that uses his machine to make embossing stamps for leather. I think he uses corian material. Also know of several who make molds for casting anything from chocolate to concrete.

wespor
11-19-2013, 07:35 PM
Thank you both. I did see some Corian stamps when I visited the CW office yesterday. They were designed to form metal so the detail wasn't very sharp, I definitely saw the potential though. I need to do some more research into Corian, I'm using a 15 ton hydraulic press and I need to know that the material won't crack under pressure.