PDA

View Full Version : Easy on the "hard" wood

dehrlich
11-19-2013, 05:48 PM
I'm wondering if there is a way to make the machine take it easy with cutting vector patterns into harder woods, like oak, hard maple etc.? Sometimes when using the 90 degree bit and it's a deeper cut the machine will plunge right in there or go faster and really bog the cut motor down. This is hard on all parts involved, not to mention it creates burn marks and sometimes choppy edges. Maybe there should be a setting that will tell the machine to go slow, or make a couple shallow passes instead of one deep one. Thoughts? Advice? Off the cuff remarks?

bergerud
11-19-2013, 06:13 PM
You can set the max cut depth in the dialog box when you select the bit and depth.

Ton80
11-19-2013, 06:45 PM
I'm wondering if there is a way to make the machine take it easy with cutting vector patterns into harder woods, like oak, hard maple etc.? Sometimes when using the 90 degree bit and it's a deeper cut the machine will plunge right in there or go faster and really bog the cut motor down. This is hard on all parts involved, not to mention it creates burn marks and sometimes choppy edges. Maybe there should be a setting that will tell the machine to go slow, or make a couple shallow passes instead of one deep one. Thoughts? Advice? Off the cuff remarks?

Unfortunately, if you are running your vector jobs using CENTERLINE text, there is not much you can do at all. I know I've wished many times that the machine software would ask what type of wood you are going to carve so it would make the same adjustments a skilled human with a hand-held router would make ( i.e. lower speeds, adjust feed rate, adjust depth of cut ). The machine will plough into IPE at the same rate it would in the softest of wood. So, you really need to pay attention to how deep your images will carve as a vector and make adjustments in software before importing as text for CENTERLINE.

IF you are running vector jobs using the drawing tools in designer, then you have the option of setting a max cut depth like Bergerud mentioned and you should use that. Whenever I run a job that uses the classical bits for a decorative design, I never let it cut more than 3/32" at a time. The machine is great but it's going to have limitations to what it can handle with it's low powered motor and flex shaft. Certain jobs are just better done by a router if you can.

Keep in mind running those vector jobs where the machine is hogging out lots of wood in a pass is putting more stress on the flex shaft than it is the motor and your going to wear it out. I've worn out 2 cores because of all the vector carves I run. I get about 180-200 hours on a flex core it seems before replacement is needed.

I think I put on the wishlist for carvewright designer more control over feed rates, depth of cut based on wood type but so far it hasn't made it's way into the software. Maybe if more people keep asking for it we will get them to take a good look. I think most users are operating their machine with the 1/16" carving bit and that doesn't put the same stress on the parts as a vector carve does.

Digitalwoodshop
11-19-2013, 06:58 PM
I did a larger Centerline Text in some clear oak once where I ran the text twice where I placed a 1/4 inch wood block on the board for the bit touch the first time and took it out for the second cutting. Less Burning.... I had the time... as I saved on the sanding...

AL

fwharris
11-19-2013, 07:39 PM
Come on " new vector carving" updates!!!

lynnfrwd
11-19-2013, 08:08 PM
Aren't they in 2.0?

fwharris
11-19-2013, 08:17 PM
Aren't they in 2.0?

I thought there was some V carve things being worked on...

Ton80
11-20-2013, 07:11 AM
I did a larger Centerline Text in some clear oak once where I ran the text twice where I placed a 1/4 inch wood block on the board for the bit touch the first time and took it out for the second cutting. Less Burning.... I had the time... as I saved on the sanding...

AL

Brilliant! Logged this tip away for next job I run with deep carves ;)

Ton80
11-20-2013, 07:13 AM
Aren't they in 2.0?

If they are, then I would consider purchasing the upgrade but I didn't see any noticeable changes that compelled me to upgrade since all my work is basically vector carving. I never saw anything in the description that indicated such control of a job has been added though.

bergerud
11-20-2013, 08:38 AM
My understanding was that a new, more time efficient algorithm was added. The cutting is planned out more efficiently but there is no more user control than there was.

fwharris
11-20-2013, 09:31 AM
My understanding was that a new, more time efficient algorithm was added. The cutting is planned out more efficiently but there is no more user control than there was.

True, that was for centerline carvings. I thought there was also something in the works for some sort of V carving improvements...

lynnfrwd
11-20-2013, 09:36 AM
Yes, I was referring to the algorithm improvements in Centerline. No new user controls.

Floyd: I think that is down the road. Right now we are working on two great new additions...hopefully, before Christmas. (TEASE)

rcdages
11-20-2013, 11:03 AM
Is that going to be so we can have a CarveWright Christmas???????????????

fwharris
11-20-2013, 01:30 PM
Yes, I was referring to the algorithm improvements in Centerline. No new user controls.

Floyd: I think that is down the road. Right now we are working on two great new additions...hopefully, before Christmas. (TEASE)

And you B good at that HUH??? ;)