PDA

View Full Version : Disability "Insurance" is a rip-off

dehrlich
11-19-2013, 05:41 PM
I know this is way off topic, but I wanted to share some information that I wish someone had shared with me.

A couple years ago my chronic back condition finally got to the point that I couldn't work any longer. I had a 4 level fusion that only made things worse. I had disability insurance through my employer and went on the long term type. They gave me a decent sum of money, barely enough to get by but i made it work. They basically said I had to apply for Social Security Disability and they had a lawyer that would help, free of charge to me (yeah right). So after a year and a half and one appeal I got approved for SSDI.

They gave me my back payment money, minus the $6 grand for the lawyers fee (remember it was supposed to be free to me?!?). Three weeks after I get the money, I find out that the disability insurance company wants me to pay them back for "over payments" which is $5 grand MORE than what disability gave me for my back payments. I had already spent most of the money, I had bills, who wouldn't pay bills if they get money right?

Point is, I thought insurance was something you paid premiums for so that when you needed it, it would be there. What happened to all that money I gave them all those years?? Basically Social Security is set up so that it helps everyone but the disabled person. Lawyers, Insurance companies get their hands on every penny they can because they have found the holes in the system, and the government just lets it happen. No wonder it's running out of money... that and paying people who aren't really disabled, just too lazy to work and there are lawyers and doctors that will say they can't work so they can get paid.

Just wanted to share in case anyone else gets in the same situation, remember it's not disability insurance... just a loan.

fwharris
11-19-2013, 05:43 PM
Now that does SUCK! Guessing your are back in touch with the lawyers?

dehrlich
11-19-2013, 05:56 PM
Nope... lawyers got their money, so as far as they are concerned the case is closed. Between me and the disability insurance company. Basically they keep any future payments (about 200 a month) until the money I "owe" them is paid back. That will take about 8 years. Basically I wish they would just go away. I don't even know how long they are supposed to "pay" me.. they are very tight with information. I'm thinking it is until age 67. It's all a big pile of crap if you ask me LOL.

It's kind of like, you have a car accident, the insurance pays to fix it but then sends you a bill for the entire repair bill and wants you to pay them back. Doesn't make much sense to me.

aokweld101
11-19-2013, 06:21 PM
I had something similar to me but different results I was working at the time and my foot started hurting and after a month I was crawling from my easy chair to the bedroom to go to bed, went to the doctor and my blood vessel in my leg were closing up the doctor done that auger thing to clean the blood vessels out and blew the blood vessels up so bad he couldn't put stents in fast enough...long story short...had to have my leg amputated, received long term disability though the insurance and then received SSD and am receiving partial insurance payments till I'm 65 yrs old I am only 58 yrs old now. I would rather be working till I'm 65 I did have to pay some of the money back but was only 1,800.00 to receive the money from the insurance company they wanted the money as you said as over payment.

dehrlich
11-19-2013, 07:57 PM
I had something similar to me but different results I was working at the time and my foot started hurting and after a month I was crawling from my easy chair to the bedroom to go to bed, went to the doctor and my blood vessel in my leg were closing up the doctor done that auger thing to clean the blood vessels out and blew the blood vessels up so bad he couldn't put stents in fast enough...long story short...had to have my leg amputated, received long term disability though the insurance and then received SSD and am receiving partial insurance payments till I'm 65 yrs old I am only 58 yrs old now. I would rather be working till I'm 65 I did have to pay some of the money back but was only 1,800.00 to receive the money from the insurance company they wanted the money as you said as over payment.

Sorry to hear about your leg! I agree though, I would much rather be working. But, on the plus side, now I have time to do what I love to do; work with wood. Problem is, I think I work harder now than I did doing a regular job haha. I don't complain though, I feel blessed for any day I get to spend working in the wood shop. I just have to pace myself, and I have pretty much everything set up so I don't have to lift stuff off the floor and so on. Plus I don't have to share the coffee so that's a plus. My one complaint is I have had to take so much pain medication for so long, I have CRS (can't remember sh... umm stuff) so bad it makes life a challenge.

badbert
11-19-2013, 10:38 PM
I helped organize the Union at my old work. Because of this I had to go through a lot of training. I learned a lot about disability and insurance! I believe the problem you ran into, is the ceiling limit on how much you can collect. You are legally only allowed to collect 70 to 80% (depending on state laws) of your gross pay. So they paid you that amount. But the back pay from SSDI put you over that amount. Legally you are responsible for paying back any amount over that percentage. If they are making you pay more than that, you need an attorney. We avoided this problem by allowing the company to pay for our short term disability. But instead of the company paying for long term, we figured out the company cost for the long term policy premiums. And then added that amount to each employee's pay. And then in turn the employees pay for AFLAC. Because it is paid for by the employees instead of the company. It is your money, no paying it back. AFLAC doesn't have to be claimed as income.

dehrlich
11-20-2013, 06:13 AM
I helped organize the Union at my old work. Because of this I had to go through a lot of training. I learned a lot about disability and insurance! I believe the problem you ran into, is the ceiling limit on how much you can collect. You are legally only allowed to collect 70 to 80% (depending on state laws) of your gross pay. So they paid you that amount. But the back pay from SSDI put you over that amount. Legally you are responsible for paying back any amount over that percentage. If they are making you pay more than that, you need an attorney. We avoided this problem by allowing the company to pay for our short term disability. But instead of the company paying for long term, we figured out the company cost for the long term policy premiums. And then added that amount to each employee's pay. And then in turn the employees pay for AFLAC. Because it is paid for by the employees instead of the company. It is your money, no paying it back. AFLAC doesn't have to be claimed as income.

NOW you tell me! HAHA