PDA

View Full Version : flex shaft problems

aokweld101
11-17-2013, 08:34 PM
I was running my machine today and the flex shaft is wore out where it squares off on the flex shaft and do I have to replace the spindle, I know the flex shaft needs replaced but is there a separate piece to buy other than getting the whole spindle assembly?

bergerud
11-17-2013, 09:06 PM
I do not understand what is worn out. Surely the square hole in the spindle is ok. Are you saying it has worn round? Or is it that the square end on the flex core that is worn?

aokweld101
11-17-2013, 09:19 PM
it happened before and I turned the flex shaft end for end putting the rounded end into the cut motor and ordered a new flex shaft it worked till I got the new flex shaft now the new flex shaft is doing the same thing the square end of the flex shaft is rounded out I could hear it slipping. I haven' looked at the spindle but I am assuming that is warn also

Digitalwoodshop
11-17-2013, 09:40 PM
it happened before and I turned the flex shaft end for end putting the rounded end into the cut motor and ordered a new flex shaft it worked till I got the new flex shaft now the new flex shaft is doing the same thing the square end of the flex shaft is rounded out I could hear it slipping. I haven' looked at the spindle but I am assuming that is warn also

Had the exact thouight... Good Job...

Look at the top hat, the little reciever on top of the truck, remove it and check the square hole in the spindle shaft... Could be worn...

Plus the side of the Flex and the possibility of the whole flex flopping around due to the wear of the BB Slot. I turn the top hat around 180 degrees to help fix a old flex shaft to prevent dip and slop...

And check the rubber on the Motor end.. The Glue has been known to let loose and the rubber hose seperate from the part that twist in... making the rubber longer and the core SHORTER... That can cause the strip...

AL

aokweld101
11-17-2013, 10:10 PM
by turning the ball or divot 180 if it's that problem will that maybe let me use the same flex shaft or will I have to get another, some how I think I'm going to have to replace both the spindle and flex shaft don't ask me why... I just feel it!! ...:lol:

bergerud
11-18-2013, 12:16 AM
Look at how deeply the flex end goes into the spindle. It should go in around 1/2". If it is slipping, it must not be going in deep enough. Like Al says, look for a reason why it is "too short". Has the sheath come loose at one of the ends?

aokweld101
11-18-2013, 12:04 PM
I turned the top cap 180 and that is working, next time I'm going to have to have new parts.

Ton80
11-18-2013, 02:53 PM
The other thing that can happen is the flexshaft core is wearing out. This has happened to me twice as I use my machine for mostly vector carves and in hardwoods. This outs a fair amount of stress on the core that carving with the little 1/16" bit does not. As a matter of fact the reason I am on the forum now is I just started hearing that same rattling noise from the shaft that I heard last time it started going bad on me. I was logging on to look up when I posted to gauge how old this current flexshaft is.

Flipping the shaft end for end has seemed to help me at least to get through the job I just started. To test your shaft core for wear pull the core out and try to twist it while holding both ends. If you get more than a 1/4 turn its wearing out and needs to be replaced.

John