PDA

View Full Version : spare time

eelamb
11-16-2013, 09:31 PM
Want to know what I do in my spare time. The image will tell you a lot.
Today was cutting metal using the cutting torch, and welding on my box blade to get it to work with the 3 point quick release on my tractor. The image was from this afternoon moving brush that was pulled from the fence line last weekend.

aokweld101
11-16-2013, 10:08 PM
just curious Eddie, are you a good welder or are you a bird dawber? I wanted to know cause I haven't welded in three years now being retired I feel like I'm a has been welder if you don't use it you lose it I'm probably just as good ...it might take a few minutes but I'd get it lol..

eelamb
11-16-2013, 10:16 PM
Getting older the welding is not as good as it used to be. I have stick and wire feed welders. I do much better with the wire feed in laying down a roll of dimes. Years ago I was certified high pressure welder. But that was many years ago, back in my Navy days.

TerryT
11-16-2013, 10:22 PM
Heheheheh, in my younger days the great iron bird would strike quite often. I have a stick welder that I haven't even turned on it 15 years. I used to build a lot of hotrods and original restored cars. Now, not so much.

Eddie, that pond got water all year round?

eelamb
11-16-2013, 10:37 PM
Terry where I live we can not have basements, too many springs. So to answer your question , yes, but last year with the drought it was dry for about 2 weeks. Still muddy bottom but no drinking water. It is only about 4 feed deep. That one is a man made one, all round here there are many natural ones.

fwharris
11-17-2013, 02:29 AM
Hey farm boy, glad to see you taking advantage of the nice weather!

TerryT
11-17-2013, 05:32 AM
That is a nice picture Eddie. I see room for, at least, a couple holes of par 3 or a practice green!

aokweld101
11-17-2013, 07:55 AM
You are a man of many talents, You learn more about people as you go.... list of talents so far that I know of: Model maker, farmer, and welder....Lol

SteveEJ
11-17-2013, 10:50 AM
Man I want a tractor! An old Ford would do for me.. Fix it up and make look like new would be yet another retirement project!

eelamb
11-17-2013, 03:17 PM
AOK, I can add to that list by quite a few items. My everyday job is computer networks, I am a MCP (Microsoft certified Professional). I worked for Monsanto Company, for 23 years in research and development, developing distributed process control programs, and computer automation for their plants, Then started my own company in 1990, which is still going to this date. And the list goes on from there.

Steve, One of my tractors is a 1948 (25hp) ford 8n. I rebuilt the engine 4 years back. Runs great, and I still use it. One day I want to restore the paint job so it looks like new again. They called it the red belly, but mine was owned by two people, the person I bought it from about 15 years ago and myself. and it is a blue belly. I also have a 30HP Mahindra (no cab).

SteveEJ
11-17-2013, 04:49 PM
Eddie,
A old 8n would work for me. Will be looking for one after I retire again in Jan 2015.

want2b
11-17-2013, 04:54 PM
The old Fords are amazingly tough, best friend has taken up restoring some of them. Last count he had 11 in the barn in various stages of restoration, several look better than when on the showroom. I didn't realise the variartions that the 8 & 9N's had such as hydraulic connections and 2 speed transfer cases. Every where I go I constantly see them still in use.
Rick H

eelamb
11-17-2013, 05:13 PM
There is a place about 20 miles from me the guy just loves old tractors. He has set aside about 30 acres and dug a pond in the middle. Around the pond is about 45 or more tractors. He, weekly goes out to each, putting air in the tires, adding gas and starting the ones that will start or moving them to mow around them. None of them look restored, just old.
Rick, you are right they are tough, and if treated properly will be around for another 50 years or more. I see them all the time wasting away in the pastures. THe farmers will not sell them unless you give them way too much for it. Same goes for old cars around here, many out there but owners want restored prices for them. Across from me in the woods is a tractor, sitting there for 30 years or more from what I was told. Came about over some old dispute, so there it sits.

I should mention, I do not have neighbors very close. Closest one is .25 miles from me. Around here a block consist of 1 square mile or 540 acres. If you walk around the block here, you got a workout.

ktjwilliams
11-17-2013, 07:24 PM
I need to borrow that thing Eddie !!! Here on the Jersey Shore the biggest Tractors we have come from Sears Lawn and Garden Dept ... LOL

aokweld101
11-17-2013, 08:42 PM
it sounds some what of being in Nebraska nothing but acres of farmland and nothing but tree lines in between them to brake the wind.

eelamb
11-17-2013, 10:56 PM
There are no farms here, it is pasture land, with either grazing cattle or like with me horses. If not for animals then the land is hayed. I was in the rat race and much prefer this better, even though I have less free time then before, or at least it seems that way. And before I worked all day, came home till 9pm then went back to work and returned home around 2am, slept a few hours only to be at work at 8am again. I made sure I was home every night with my kids when I was in town. I spent about 60% of my time traveling around the world to companies, trouble shooting their processes.

want2b
11-19-2013, 06:31 PM
Glad to see one more rat has left the race, wonderful when you can finally get to set your priorities vs others doing it for you. You'll always be so busy that there is not enough time but again you make it so, not somebody else's agenda. Did it myself about 10 yrs ago, had to adjust to a different income level but haven't regretted a moment.
Enjoy,
Rick H.

eelamb
11-19-2013, 09:14 PM
Rick the income level was the hardest to give up, but my company grew quickly. Then late in the 90's I downsized my company (had to, it literately killed me) and made the move from big city to country life. I was born in the country, and now I am back.

Capt Bruce
11-20-2013, 07:19 AM
It's good to hear that you too are enjoying the retirement you worked so hard for Eddie. I had the same feeling that the work as much as I was still enjoying it helping survivors was going to wear me out (travel, disaster relief duty, administrative trivia, politics, etc). Curiously, looking back the earlier Navy duty was tougher but more enjoyable because
A. I was younger
B. You knew it was mission oriented and there would be an end to each one you could measure and then homeport time.
C. Your advancement was tied to your skills and service rather than the good old boys' network. My shipmates were my strength.

One more happy retired rat - anybody want my old place in the race?

eelamb
11-20-2013, 09:26 AM
Bruce, but I am not retired YET, and with my business, I may never be, many count on me to keep their companies running. I know anyone can take over, but not in the eyes of the customer. It is the customer service, and response time that no other around here offer, that my customers rely on. Although my business is slow at the moment, which does not help. Course many businesses around have been hit, and are slow right now.