PDA

View Full Version : Just Bought One.

NLAlston
11-13-2013, 03:52 PM
Hello all. My name is Nathan, and I am now here. Just this morning, I visited Lowes, for the purpose of buying myself a CW machine. I purchased it with their 4-yr protection plan, and should have the unit in about seven days. I have already been heavily browsing through this forum, as well as reading reviews on this machine, from other sites, for the past week. I have to be honest and admit that I was a bit skeptical on purchasing a CW, due to the many problems that I had read about some user's experiences with same. That 'user error' might have been the causative factor for a portion of the read complaints, is not discountable. But it is only sensible to suspect that some of it is due to equipment failure. Now, to what portion each of those scenarios may hold, no one could say. But I will have 4 years of complete protection (after the manufacturer's warranty expires), which will serve to alleviate my fears. The only thing I'd really have to be concerned about (in the event of a breakdown) would be down time.

Having said all that, though, I can't speak enough about the excitement I hold, over getting my CW. I have read everything that I could, on it's feature set, as well as viewed everything I could, on it's operational aspects. I was always left quite impressed, over those perusals, and viewings. I have downloaded a trial version of the software that comes with the machine, and will be playing around with it. Later today, I will also order the dust hood, and heavy duty traction belts. I also wanted the decorative router bit set, but am trying to determine just how much need there might be for them.

But I'd like to ask a question: what all can I do to insure a good start, when my machine gets here? I had read something about the flex cable heating up, and there was a post where a company tech advised that OP to render the cable to an overnight soaking procedure, for remedial purposes. From what I can remember, that procedure did indeed solve the problem. I couldn't find, again, that thread, but hope that someone may know from whence I speak. Also, any other helpful tidbits would be immensely appreciated.

Really glad to be here.

fwharris
11-13-2013, 04:56 PM
Welcome to the forum and congratulations on your purchase. Sounds like you have been doing your home work, great job!
I am guessing then you have started viewing all of the tutorials and reading the tips and tricks newsletters. Lots of helpful information to help you get started.

When you order the rubber traction belts ask if they can be installed on the machine you ordered. It will save you some steps when you get your machine. They do a great job in the shop and will insure your machine is recalibrated before it leaves the shop.

In the bit set probably the most used bits will be the 2 V bits (used for centerline text and vector carvings) and the 3/8" straight bit (used for pocket cuts and calibration procedures). The other bits can be used for doing edge profile routing but most carves will use the router table instead. Although they do come in handy for doing profile routing with in a design.

When you call in to place your order get the CW recommended flex shaft lube for the machine. If your machine does not come with the 1/8" straight bit get a couple of those as well. They are what you will be using to do any cut outs for your projects.

Good luck and looking forward to seeing some of your projects..

Canemaker
11-13-2013, 05:19 PM
Where do you live? You might luck out and find someone located within a close enough distance to you to help.

NLAlston
11-13-2013, 05:57 PM
Where do you live? You might luck out and find someone located within a close enough distance to you to help.

I am in Amherst, NY. Just outside of Buffalo.

NLAlston
11-13-2013, 06:18 PM
Welcome to the forum and congratulations on your purchase. Sounds like you have been doing your home work, great job!
I am guessing then you have started viewing all of the tutorials and reading the tips and tricks newsletters. Lots of helpful information to help you get started.

When you order the rubber traction belts ask if they can be installed on the machine you ordered. It will save you some steps when you get your machine. They do a great job in the shop and will insure your machine is recalibrated before it leaves the shop.

In the bit set probably the most used bits will be the 2 V bits (used for centerline text and vector carvings) and the 3/8" straight bit (used for pocket cuts and calibration procedures). The other bits can be used for doing edge profile routing but most carves will use the router table instead. Although they do come in handy for doing profile routing with in a design.

When you call in to place your order get the CW recommended flex shaft lube for the machine. If your machine does not come with the 1/8" straight bit get a couple of those as well. They are what you will be using to do any cut outs for your projects.

Good luck and looking forward to seeing some of your projects..

Fwharris, Thanks.

I have already ordered the CW. It was ordered from Lowes, as it was there that I gained information of the extended protection plan that was available for purchase. Due to that, I will have to go through the process of installation & calibration. I also rethought my interest in that bit set, because of the fact that I already have an arsenal of router bits and, (just like you said) most of the edge profiling can (and, in my case, will) be done on the router table. It isn't about being cheap :), but also about extending the life of the motor, due to less taxation.

Now, being that I have already ordered my CW, what comparable lube (to the Flex Shaft Lube) might I be able to pick up? I already know that this CW is going to be 'my baby', and I want to make sure that I keep her happy.

About my researching: yes, I did a fair bit. I am a medical retiree, on fixed income - and with a family, which means that I HAVE to make as much sense as I can about what I spend on. There is a Youtube presenter (Matt/Digitalroute) who put it best, when he said - 'If you be good to it (the CW), it will be good to you'. So, I want to be good to it by pampering it with whatever it might need. I know that I am going to love it, and I can't wait to get into a working relationship with my forthcoming CW.

fwharris
11-13-2013, 07:56 PM
The only other flex shaft I would use (only because it is what I use) would be the CraneCam Lube with Molly. It is a automotive pre assembly lube with the molly base that is more of a paste versus the liquid. You can apply it the flex shaft and go back to carving with out any down time. Also you get very little if any run back into the cut motor or top bearing on the cutting head. I am still on my original packets that I bought back in 2009.
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/crn-99002-1

NLAlston
11-13-2013, 09:30 PM
The only other flex shaft I would use (only because it is what I use) would be the CraneCam Lube with Molly. It is a automotive pre assembly lube with the molly base that is more of a paste versus the liquid. You can apply it the flex shaft and go back to carving with out any down time. Also you get very little if any run back into the cut motor or top bearing on the cutting head. I am still on my original packets that I bought back in 2009.
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/crn-99002-1

Thanks much, my friend.

blhutchens
11-13-2013, 10:16 PM
Welcome,
Sounds like you are off to a good start. This forum is a life saver. Only thing i can say to do is what you are already doing. Read tips + tricks, Do the tutorials ,and ask questions. I am not saying you won't have a few hic-ups along the way, but the more the learn about the machine and its capabilities the easier it gets. I have had my machine for a little over a year and still learning.

Have fun and take it slow!!!

chief2007
11-14-2013, 06:31 AM
Welcome and enjoy - Just hang in there if you have a problem or two. Once you get a good understanding of the machine and what it does you will become a carvoholic

NLAlston
11-14-2013, 07:49 AM
Welcome,
Sounds like you are off to a good start. This forum is a life saver. Only thing i can say to do is what you are already doing. Read tips + tricks, Do the tutorials ,and ask questions. I am not saying you won't have a few hic-ups along the way, but the more the learn about the machine and its capabilities the easier it gets. I have had my machine for a little over a year and still learning.

Have fun and take it slow!!!

Thanks, Bl.

I am already so very impressed with this forum, and the information available here is a treasure trove. In a way, I am glad that I wasn't able to bring it home, yesterday, right after purchasing, because I KNOW what would have happened: In no way, shape, form or fashion am I (presently) armed with what I need to know about working with that machine. However, anxiety would have taken me over, and I would have tried to carve SOMETHING on it :smile:. It should be here on the 20th of this month, so I have a bit of time to increase my knowledge of the machine's operational aspects BEFORE giving it duty. And that's a GOOD thing :smile:.

NLAlston
11-14-2013, 07:52 AM
Welcome and enjoy - Just hang in there if you have a problem or two. Once you get a good understanding of the machine and what it does you will become a carvoholic

You are absolutely right: a carvoholic, indeed :smile:.

Proctorw
11-14-2013, 09:52 AM
First thing to buy is a dust collector for the machine. This is essential. If not, you will be constantly fighting board sensor errors. I don't have the RingNeck dust collector, but if I buy another machine, that is the one I will get. I bought mine without any input, it works good, but I believe the side hookup of the ringneck dust collector would work better. Regardless of the one you buy, make this your first purchase.

dbemus
11-14-2013, 03:12 PM
NL

Just wanted to let you know you have company in Western New York. I am in Great valley, Just south of Ellicottville , NY. Welcome to the CarveWright world. Yes, I am a carveoholic!! Just bought two RingNeck dust collectors for my two machines. One of the most important investents you can make is dust collection. Happy carving!

NLAlston
11-14-2013, 07:23 PM
NL

Just wanted to let you know you have company in Western New York. I am in Great valley, Just south of Ellicottville , NY. Welcome to the CarveWright world. Yes, I am a carveoholic!! Just bought two RingNeck dust collectors for my two machines. One of the most important investents you can make is dust collection. Happy carving!

Well, hello there - near neighbor :smile:.

Yes, I do remember reading LOTS about the perils that sawdust poses for the CW units. When I ordered my machine, I also ordered (though not through Lowes) the heavy duty traction belts, and a dirt devil dust hood. At the time, I knew nothing about any other offerings on such an attachment, but I will see how well this one works out. Hopefully, it stands up to what I had read about it.

Happy carvings, back to 'ya.

aokweld101
11-14-2013, 09:29 PM
Welcome to the community, you will enjoy this machine at the beginning there is a lot to know just if you have a problem ask on the forum there is some great people on here.

NLAlston
11-14-2013, 09:34 PM
Welcome to the community, you will enjoy this machine at the beginning there is a lot to know just if you have a problem ask on the forum there is some great people on here.

Thank you, very much.

NLAlston
11-14-2013, 09:43 PM
[QUOTE=fwharris;215109]

The most used bits will be the 2 V bits (used for centerline text and vector carvings) and the 3/8" straight bit (used for pocket cuts and calibration procedures.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Ok, then. So, there are just the three bits that I should be concerned about. Good. I think I recently read, somewhere, that V bits (for machines such as ours) should be at a 45 degree, and at a 60 degree cut. Is that right? (I don't know if they come in different angle cuts, other than the two angles I mentioned - which is why I ask). I also don't remember, but I think that the diameter of the shafts are to be 1/4". As soon as I hear back from you, I will head out to pick up the three bits you have mentioned. I will get carbide tipped bits.

fwharris
11-14-2013, 10:02 PM
[QUOTE=fwharris;215109]

The most used bits will be the 2 V bits (used for centerline text and vector carvings) and the 3/8" straight bit (used for pocket cuts and calibration procedures.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Ok, then. So, there are just the three bits that I should be concerned about. Good. I think I recently read, somewhere, that V bits (for machines such as ours) should be at a 45 degree, and at a 60 degree cut. Is that right? (I don't know if they come in different angle cuts, other than the two angles I mentioned - which is why I ask). I also don't remember, but I think that the diameter of the shafts are to be 1/4". As soon as I hear back from you, I will head out to pick up the three bits you have mentioned. I will get carbide tipped bits.

The 2 V bits that are built into the software (and the ones in the bit set) are 90* and 60* bits.

http://store.carvewright.com/product.php?productid=16146&cat=293&page=1

http://store.carvewright.com/product.php?productid=16147&cat=293&page=1

The chuck size is actually a 1/2" chuck so if you go with the 1/4" shaft you will need the split collet

http://store.carvewright.com/product.php?productid=20564&cat=294&page=1

If you get bits with a 1/2" shaft then your good to go.

Also you should have some sort of a bit stop to insure you are inserting the bits in the chuck at the same depth. These are what CarveWright has http://store.carvewright.com/product.php?productid=20562&cat=294&page=1

http://store.carvewright.com/product.php?productid=20561&cat=294&page=1

They are basically the same as the what is used for compression tubing http://www.lowes.com/pd_203426-13579-93055_0__?productId=3093047&Ntt=compression+sleeve&pl=1&currentURL=%3FNtt%3Dcompression%2Bsleeve&facetInfo=

NLAlston
11-14-2013, 10:44 PM
[QUOTE=NLAlston;215184]

The 2 V bits that are built into the software (and the ones in the bit set) are 90* and 60* bits.

http://store.carvewright.com/product.php?productid=16146&cat=293&page=1

http://store.carvewright.com/product.php?productid=16147&cat=293&page=1

The chuck size is actually a 1/2" chuck so if you go with the 1/4" shaft you will need the split collet

http://store.carvewright.com/product.php?productid=20564&cat=294&page=1

If you get bits with a 1/2" shaft then your good to go.

Also you should have some sort of a bit stop to insure you are inserting the bits in the chuck at the same depth. These are what CarveWright has http://store.carvewright.com/product.php?productid=20562&cat=294&page=1

http://store.carvewright.com/product.php?productid=20561&cat=294&page=1

They are basically the same as the what is used for compression tubing http://www.lowes.com/pd_203426-13579-93055_0__?productId=3093047&Ntt=compression+sleeve&pl=1&currentURL=%3FNtt%3Dcompression%2Bsleeve&facetInfo=

You are awesome, FW. Thanks, much.

fwharris
11-14-2013, 11:01 PM
[QUOTE=fwharris;215185]

You are awesome, FW. Thanks, much.

Well maybe a bit of a stretch, but thanks sir!! ;)

NLAlston
11-19-2013, 11:09 AM
When you order the rubber traction belts ask if they can be installed on the machine you ordered. It will save you some steps when you get your machine. They do a great job in the shop and will insure your machine is recalibrated before it leaves.

FW, I had been here, very anxiously awaiting my CW (which was supposed to arrive tomorrow), but learned - just yesterday evening - that it couldn't be shipped because of the fact that it was discontinued. Not the machine itself, but the machine as it had initially shipped. Now, I haven't seen anything on this, anywhere else, which is to say that I don't know how many prospective buyers may know this, but the machines will no longer have the sandpaper belts. From this point on they will be outfitted with the upgraded rubber belts. Very good move (IMO), as the benefits of incorporating them has been sung, in very loud voices, by those who had forgone the sandpaper relatives of the rubber belts.

An LHR CSR (Mary) called me yesterday, and she was as sweet as candy. She had been in communication with Lowes,regarding my CW order, and didn't wait for them to get in touch with me. She did so, herself (leaving me impressed). She explained the situation about the discontinuance of selling the sandpaper belt driven units, and I explained that I understood. The only issue was that's had already ordered rubber belts. She checked on it, and learned that the order was already in the UPS hands. She's going to try to intercept its delivery, and send me one of the units with the upgraded belts already installed. In fact, she was going to try and handle things soon enough to have the CW shipped out today. But she did promise to call me back, this evening, to let me know of the developments.

The company seems to be as great as I believe the machine to be.

fwharris
11-19-2013, 11:31 AM
FW, I had been here, very anxiously awaiting my CW (which was supposed to arrive tomorrow), but learned - just yesterday evening - that it couldn't be shipped because of the fact that it was discontinued. Not the machine itself, but the machine as it had initially shipped. Now, I haven't seen anything on this, anywhere else, which is to say that I don't know how many prospective buyers may know this, but the machines will no longer have the sandpaper belts. From this point on they will be outfitted with the upgraded rubber belts. Very good move (IMO), as the benefits of incorporating them has been sung, in very loud voices, by those who had forgone the sandpaper relatives of the rubber belts.

An LHR CSR (Mary) called me yesterday, and she was as sweet as candy. She had been in communication with Lowes,regarding my CW order, and didn't wait for them to get in touch with me. She did so, herself (leaving me impressed). She explained the situation about the discontinuance of selling the sandpaper belt driven units, and I explained that I understood. The only issue was that's had already ordered rubber belts. She checked on it, and learned that the order was already in the UPS hands. She's going to try to intercept its delivery, and send me one of the units with the upgraded belts already installed. In fact, she was going to try and handle things soon enough to have the CW shipped out today. But she did promise to call me back, this evening, to let me know of the developments.

The company seems to be as great as I believe the machine to be.

Yes I knew at some point the sandpaper belts on the machines was going to be discontinued. All machines will be standard with the rubber belts. I also agree this is a great move.

Great to hear Mary was "Mary on the spot" :) and got the ball rolling for you.

aokweld101
11-19-2013, 11:36 AM
I would suggest, getting you wood at a sawmill... home depot and lowes will put you in the poor house you can get two times more wood at the sawmill search around to find out where there are.

Ton80
11-19-2013, 12:04 PM
First thing to buy is a dust collector for the machine. This is essential. If not, you will be constantly fighting board sensor errors. I don't have the RingNeck dust collector, but if I buy another machine, that is the one I will get. I bought mine without any input, it works good, but I believe the side hookup of the ringneck dust collector would work better. Regardless of the one you buy, make this your first purchase.

Dust collection is about the most important add-on investment you will make. Don't make the mistake of not doing this. I would opt for the Ringneck solution if I did it again on a new machine but I went with the version the machine itself carves out and it actually works quite fine at grabbing the smaller stuff which is what's going to work it's way into parts and cause problems.

[QUOTE=fwharris;215109]

You can use many different 90 and 60 Vbits. I use a 1/2" Freud bit that my local lumber yard has in stock and for the 60 the last one I purchased was a CMT bit with 3 or 4 flutes that works as good if not better that the one CW offers.

I would suggest, getting you wood at a sawmill... home depot and lowes will put you in the poor house you can get two times more wood at the sawmill search around to find out where there are.

Just remember, no matter where you get your wood you must make sure any cupping, warp or "out of square" issues are taken care of before feeding the machine a board. Some very minor cupping is OK but out of square will cause binding as the board slides through the machine. You will need some standard woodworking tools in the shop for such tasks or have the mill you get your wood from square and surface the wood ahead of time. Since you are up in Western NY, you should have access to at least one good saw mill that will sell you wood that is S4S so you have no worries and you won't have to pick through the bins at HD or Lowes hoping for some good pieces. You'll also be supporting a local business!

CW customer service is very helpful and should be your first call if you have problems and then the folks here are very good also if it's after hours.

BTW, don't go lubing your new machines flex shaft when it arrives.. you should only do that if the operation temperature is too high as these are supposed to be lubed at CW and ready to go. Adding lube when it's not needed can lead to other problems.

Enjoy your machine!

John

NLAlston
11-19-2013, 12:39 PM
Just remember, no matter where you get your wood you must make sure any cupping, warp or "out of square" issues are taken care of before feeding the machine a board. Some very minor cupping is OK but out of square will cause binding as the board slides through the machine. You will need some standard woodworking tools in the shop for such tasks or have the mill you get your wood from square and surface the wood ahead of time. Since you are up in Western NY, you should have access to at least one good saw mill that will sell you wood that is S4S so you have no worries and you won't have to pick through the bins at HD or Lowes hoping for some good pieces. You'll also be supporting a local business!

John

Over the years I have really been blessed with some woodworking machinery - two of them being a jointer, and a thickness planer. So, I would be kinda good to go as far as treating my stock for flatness, and squareness. I do wish, however, that my Shopsmith jointer (4") had more width real estate than it does, but it is what it is ��. I will certainly look into dealing with a sawmill, for my stock. Also, I am glad that I read what you wrote against giving immediate attention to the Flex Shaft. I WAS going to pull it off, and really give it a good dosing of a lubricant. But, now, I will wait on that - and just keep a feel on that component, for excessive warmth. Only then (or when the required time for maintenance arrives) will I address that.

Thanks, John.

Capt Bruce
11-19-2013, 01:39 PM
[QUOTE=NLAlston;215186]

Well maybe a bit of a stretch, but thanks sir!! ;)

Naahh,
I'd give you awesome too Floyd.

Nathan,
I neglected to add Welcome Aboard the Forum. We're all here to help whenever you need a question answered as you've seen already. Enjoy the new quantities of sawdust you will soon be producing!

NLAlston
11-19-2013, 08:41 PM
[QUOTE=fwharris;215187]

Naahh,
I'd give you awesome too Floyd.

Nathan,
I neglected to add Welcome Aboard the Forum. We're all here to help whenever you need a question answered as you've seen already. Enjoy the new quantities of sawdust you will soon be producing!

Thanks, Capt Bruce. 'Means much.