PDA

View Full Version : Health of your CW a Quick Check idea...

Digitalwoodshop
11-13-2013, 12:11 PM
Back in my Navy Days I did the calibration and alignment of the Weapons, Radars, Launchers and Guns.... When we finished with our Surveyor Transits and Scopes each system had a benchmark device. With the Radars you would install a scope and look at a metal benchmark plate on the pointy end of the ship and read the numbers. With the Launchers and Guns a rod was placed between 2 points and the reading was taken... This let the Ship do a quick test to tell the health of the calibration of the system.

So that leads me to the CW.... I have not done this myself yet..... I had a PM about the CW loosing Z Calibration and thought of this as a way to check....

Pick a quality board that you will install and use once a month....

Make a project with a small Carve Region on one end and save it as NOV13. Then rename it as DEC13 and move the project down the board slightly to clear the previous area. Save. Then rename JAN14 and do the same....

By running the project month after month you will be able to monitor the HEALTH of your CW....

AL

fwharris
11-13-2013, 01:47 PM
Al,

Great idea. You could even add to the test the board measurement readings each time you run the test.

ktjwilliams
11-13-2013, 10:14 PM
Hmmmmmmm !!!!! Interesting ... :confused:

bergerud
11-13-2013, 11:26 PM
What about those strange numbers that the x, y, and z tests return? We do not know what they mean but maybe it would mean something if they changed. An LHR engineer's opinion on this would be nice. Would it be useful to watch these numbers?

Capt Bruce
11-14-2013, 12:14 AM
Really great suggestions Gentlemen. In the words of Captain Picard "Make it so Number One." Thanks

fwharris
11-14-2013, 12:57 AM
What about those strange numbers that the x, y, and z tests return? We do not know what they mean but maybe it would mean something if they changed. An LHR engineer's opinion on this would be nice. Would it be useful to watch these numbers?

Has anyone kept track of their numbers? I know I have not..

To add to that if you start out with the Z/Y truck at the home position, at the key board side with Z truck at the top position, the Y and Z reading should be 0. Then maybe get readings on Z with the 18" bit touching at the board center and they Y at the bit plate. Would these be of any value?