PDA

View Full Version : Windows 8.1

Proctorw
11-12-2013, 09:30 PM
OK, I really did a stupid thing. I was working on my work laptop, looking at my personal laptop and a windows update appeared for my personal laptop. I had 8.0 and it asked do you want to upgraded to 8.1. Of course I said SURE... Well Gui.exe has crashed at least 25 times in the last 2 hours. Has anyone else been dumb enough to upgrade to 8.1? If so, are you having issues?

Thanks!

lynnfrwd
11-12-2013, 10:19 PM
Try opening designer by right clicking and selecting Run As Administrator. We may have to deactivate old registration tomorrow. Updates to OS can change your computer ID.

bergerud
11-12-2013, 10:27 PM
If you have Designer 2, turn off the file previews just to make sure the crashes are not related to that.

dbfletcher
11-13-2013, 05:01 AM
FWIW... I've been running 1.87 with Win 8.1 x64 for a little over a month now. I have not had any crashes at this point.

chebytrk
11-13-2013, 06:48 AM
Same with me & I've had no issues either.

FWIW... I've been running 1.87 with Win 8.1 x64 for a little over a month now. I have not had any crashes at this point.

RMarkey
11-13-2013, 09:00 AM
You got farther than me... my attempt to update to 8.1 took out my hard disk.

Proctorw
11-13-2013, 09:10 AM
OK, well I worked on it quite a bit more. I am using designer 2.0 and have since the conference. Last night during the crashes I received some "Sql Error" messages and "Cannot get results" messages. So I did turn off file previews late last night which was working with 8.0 and it hasn't crashed since. The thing is, I wasn't previewing. If designer was idle it was crashing, uploading a file, it crashed. The crashes usually occurred within 3 or 4 minutes of starting designer. Oh well, I had some signs to cut, so for now I will leave file previews off. I left designer up overnight and everything is fine this morning. Uploaded more projects...

bobinhouston
12-23-2013, 12:24 PM
I have not used Carvewright for awhile but am ready to get started again. I have a question. I have 2 computers with Windows Vista and am looking to buy another desktop with Windows 8 on it. My Carvewright is version 1.187.
Are there any considerations I need to be aware of ???? (e.g. - loading it on my new Windows 8 computer when I get the machine).
Any comments are appreciated.....Thanks

SteveNelson46
12-23-2013, 01:24 PM
Okay, I did something dumb tool As an IT tech I ALWAYS recommended to never upgrade. Always wipe the disk and start from scratch. Since this is a long and arduous task I didn't follow my own recommendations and upgraded from Windows 8 to Windows 8.1. At first everything seemed to go okay. As time progressed the problems surfaced and I was forced to reinstall and re-register most of my programs including Designer 2.04. Over time an operating system accumulates updates, 3rd party programs and little flaws here and there that the OS seems to compensate for. It seems that when you upgrade these flaws are exacerbated and problems arise. I knew this going into the upgrade but, did it anyway. So I guess I'll be wiping the disk and reinstalling sometime in the near future

Proctorw
12-24-2013, 07:15 AM
I finally did get my problem resolved (mostly). I left designer up over night and it appears the "SQL Error" has for the most part disappeared. Once in a while I will get something like "Cant fetch results" (not sure of the exact wording). It may be when I go into a different directory to look at MPC's. It hasn't happened enough to be frustrating, plus now it doesn't crash GUI.exe. BTW, I am using 2.04.

BobinHouston, I really don't notice any difference between my Windows 7 Desktop and my Windows8 Laptop, except I find myself using my desktop less, just because of the convenience of taking my laptop on the road with me when I travel. Once you get used to Windows 8, not really much difference. I have setup Windows 8 to be closer to my Windows 7 experience. If you have any questions, give me a shout and I can let you know what I have done with Windows 8.

bobinhouston
12-24-2013, 10:21 AM
Proctorw, Thanks for info....I should be getting a new computer shortly after XMAS and I'll load CarveWright (wife insists). I'll just go with Windows-8 (don't have much choice anyway). Thanks again !