PDA

View Full Version : Need help with my mpc

carrothers
11-12-2013, 09:01 PM
I carved this for a friend but not happy with how it turned out...want to flip it over and re-carve but need some help with the airplane. The centerline text worked just fine; but the airplane carved too deep and it still lost a lot of detail. I bought the pattern from the LHR site and it loaded as .25 depth...which I thought was excessive. I changed it to .2 and took the feather off....but still too deep. Any help would be appreciated. 65851

bergerud
11-12-2013, 10:18 PM
I am not sure much can be done with the detail. I outlined the plane and carved out behind it. (The BACA will need fixing if you want the plane flipped.)

carrothers
11-13-2013, 10:18 AM
Thanks for the help...I think your modifications were a big improvement. I noticed you added an outline and I'm not familar with that tool. What does it do for the pattern? Again, I appreciate the help.

bergerud
11-13-2013, 11:03 AM
Under Tools - Outline Pattern(s) outlines the selected patterns. I only used the out side outline and deleted the rest. The purpose was to make it a carve region to clear out all of the uncarved stuff in the pattern.

ktjwilliams
11-13-2013, 10:18 PM
Must be 2.0 cause I can't open it .... Sorry ...

carrothers
11-26-2013, 07:23 PM
6599065989OK...I carved the Hangar with the bi plane and it was a significant improvement. I am now doing the other sign for the same friend and I am attaching the original mpc and then the same one with the Globe outlined. You lost me when you said you only used the outside outline and deleted the rest...on the globe which one of the cut paths would I delete? When you did the bi plane I didn't see any cut paths on the final version you sent. Still trying to learn...I appreciate your help tremendously.

bergerud
11-26-2013, 08:34 PM
The biplane had interior regions which were uncarved and poped out. I outlined the biplane and made the outline into a carve region so that these in between regions would be carved lower. (When I used outline, I also got outlines of the interior regions. I deleted those because I only needed the outside outline.)

In the globe carving, I see the same thing. You have outlined the pattern and have now a whole list of new paths. (Under the view menu - toolbars - check carving list) Delete the smaller interior ones. Make the outside one into a carve region. All of the interior uncarved regions will now be carved lower.

Here is what I did. I also added a little feather to the carved outline.

carrothers
11-27-2013, 09:06 PM
I finished carving it this evening and it turned out beautiful. I will uplink some pictures of both signs when I get them painted. I can't thank you enough for all of your help with this project. I am carving it for a neighbor who is a Vietnam marine aviator for his garage "annex" where he builds models. Trying to get it finished for Christmas. Again, thanks so much for your help.

bergerud
11-27-2013, 09:34 PM
You are welcome. Happy to help.