PDA

View Full Version : no power

Ron
02-16-2007, 06:18 AM
HELP!I just got my machine Wednesday,loaded the software,started a project it went about half way through when I came out to check it it wasnt running.I turned of the switch off and on several times but no avail couldnt believe it.Ive checked the forums possibly bad connection of coil.I guess I'm not quiet as handy as the person who took the board out and resoldered it.Any other ideas?couldnt find a reset on the motor.Have contacted cw waiting for response.After only half a project im already addicted.I told my wife when I bought the machine if I had troubles like a lot of other people I wouldnt put up with it.But after seeing it work I cant take it back HELP

menewfy
02-16-2007, 07:23 AM
did you check the outlet to see if you blew the breaker?

i had that happen a couple of times.

just a thought

Ron
02-16-2007, 02:05 PM
checked the breaker everything seems fine there.Any idea how far a guy can go before the warranity is void?Do i dare take off the cover to expose the board to see if its anything obvious??The machine was bought through sears

HandTurnedMaple
02-16-2007, 02:41 PM
I'm not a CW rep, but taking the cover off probably will not void the warranty or else 85% of us would have voided warranties. (How's that for making up stats Digital???) The only thing I've seen for limits is Bard asking us not to remove the Z-truck.

Also there is at least one thread here about power loss. Check it out.

Brucker
02-16-2007, 02:58 PM
having the same trouble and cannot get through to CW

KNOTTY PINE
02-16-2007, 03:15 PM
I'm not sure if what I'm about to say will apply, and maybe you've already done it, but try plugging a drill, saw, or other electrical device in the same outlet and see if there is power in the receptacle. If the drill runs, it's the carver, if the drill doesn't run, you've got a power supply problem. You may have tripped out a GFCI receptacle somewhere else in the circuit. The breaker in the panel box would still be on, but the GFCI receptacle would need to be reset. Most newer garages have the GFCI receptacles in them to meet code.

Ron
02-16-2007, 05:54 PM
oK ,I'm gonna take the back off dont imagine ill see anything that i could fix but theres always a chance.Dont even want to think about sending it in already!!!Thanks for your input

Brucker
02-16-2007, 05:54 PM
I plugged it into a couple different receptacles that are up to code, still no power. Any other ideas?

Ron Baird
02-16-2007, 11:27 PM
The m/c may be getting power and there is a way to check. Unplug the m/c and manually move the head up and down and sideways noting how much resistance there is to moving it. Then plug it in and turn it on and try moving the head again. if the resistance is much greater then you have power to some of the m/c. If you have some power you may have a loose plug on the back of the keypad. You can check this by cranking the head up high enough to see inthrough the front. If youhave no power it could be the switch or the power supply or a loose connection or many other things.

Ron
02-17-2007, 09:13 AM
The ways it looks, I have about the same resistance whether the machine is plugged or not when i move the truck(possible power supply)Tried to take the back cover off was a little concerned that there were a couple of wires going through it and a plastic tube attached to the right side how would i unhook these 2 items and if I do is it going to change any thing (settings) I would like them to just send a power supply or whatever to fix myself dont want to have to wait to send it in already only have about a half hour on it!!

The Bard
02-17-2007, 11:26 AM
there is a PDF on this forum in the sticky up top about that.

sellinghiscw
02-17-2007, 12:16 PM
I had power the way you described it with moving the z truck (was easy unplugged and different plugged in). I will add one thing though- it skipped or chattered as I pushed it when it was plugged in and turned off but had even resistance when I turned it on. I pushed against the cover of the LCD lightly and the LCD came back on. I am sure that I have something loose in there.

Keith

sellinghiscw
02-17-2007, 12:18 PM
You wrote "there is a PDF on this forum in the sticky up top about that."

Please explain where the sticky and the doc are.

Keith

The Bard
02-17-2007, 01:25 PM
sure..

top of this forum..

Troubleshooting PDF's. its in there.

Jeff_Birt
02-17-2007, 01:25 PM
It's the very first thread (topic) in this section, labled 'Troubleshooting PDF's'.

Ron
02-17-2007, 01:31 PM
Hi again,Just come in from the shop
took the bottom cover and the way it looks to me its the exact same problem i read in the forum, dont remember who posted it.But the small coil of copper wire that is suppose to run thru the board and be soldiered on the back side
isnt through the hole and obviously not soldiered.Apparently it vibrated loose and not making contact is there a way of testing it to see if all it needs is to be soldiered again,any input?

Jeff_Birt
02-17-2007, 01:37 PM
Solder the coil back in and see if it works (I think Giz posted the photos of how he fixed it).

Ron
02-17-2007, 03:29 PM
Well.I took the board out and the coil pretty much just fell out
attempted to soldier it but after it goes thru the board theres not enough of it left to soldier.Does anyone know if the coil is something a person could pickup at like a Radio Schack (electronics store)?Looks like a pretty easy fix now.Just have to get a coil.

Jeff_Birt
02-17-2007, 03:37 PM
Ron, it's best to call CW and have them send you a new power supply.

Ron
02-17-2007, 03:44 PM
thanx Jeff.Would it be the power supply or the coil??

The Bard
02-17-2007, 03:49 PM
the power supply.

Ron
02-18-2007, 09:01 AM
Thank you all for the help greatly appreciated.!!!

Jimmygee
03-21-2007, 08:30 AM
<u inot also went dead. I recieved a new coil and power supply from LHR. No istructions on how to install them. I called and was left a message that service whould get back to me with 24 hours. It's now 48. I looked in the pdfs and did not see one for this. Did I just miss it. Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks
Jim

Jeff_Birt
03-21-2007, 08:45 AM
I think 'meat' posted some pictures of the power supply R&R (removal and replacement).