PDA

View Full Version : Board length question

Proctorw
11-05-2013, 01:30 PM
I have a project that requires 23" length board. I built a sled out of MDF and made it 32". The 23" board fits nice and snug. I masking tape the perimeter of the board. When the board measures the length, it keeps coming up with 25", sometimes 24.97". I started the project once just to see what happens with Center on board. It was about 1" past the end of the 23" board. The infeed and outfeed trays are aligned so the board doesn't drop. New board sensor and the width is being measure correctly. I never have understood the length measurement as mine always seems off. Any ideas?

Thanks!

lynnfrwd
11-05-2013, 01:49 PM
Sounds like you are selecting stay under rollers during set up. If yes, then don't. Notice the 7" difference in numbers? Your 7" is built into your board (sled).

Proctorw
11-05-2013, 01:52 PM
Connie, Thanks! I have always wondered what the heck was going on. So if you build a sled, then answer is "No" for under rollers. Makes sense now. I never could figure out why the numbers were never correct...

bergerud
11-05-2013, 02:38 PM
I am not so sure the problem is the 7 inch one. Simply measure the length of a board and see if it gets it right. You may have an x calibration problem.

Proctorw
11-05-2013, 03:01 PM
It was the 7 inch rule. I never realized the "Display" listed the total board - 7". I just started the project again and the board came back as 31.99 which is accurate. The 7" rule screwed up the starting point because I had 4" of scrap on either side. But bergerud, thanks for the post. This is the best thing about the machine, the people on this board to support us newbies...

Digitalwoodshop
11-05-2013, 06:39 PM
4 inch scrap... GOOD JOB !!!! GREAT DESIGN.... :)

AL

ktjwilliams
11-07-2013, 10:50 PM
Nudda problem resolved ... Great ....