PDA

View Full Version : NOV 2013 Project of the Month - Precious Treasures Box Trio!

mtylerfl
11-04-2013, 07:28 AM
Hello,

Here is a preview of the next Project of the Month (for NOVEMBER 2013)...The Precious Treasures Box Trio!
This selection of three box styles are perfect for stowing precious treasured items and make excellent gifts! Two of the boxes feature sleek domed tops, one of which has a small dished area for placing a monogram. The third box is a five-sided container with built-in pedestal base and a decorative carved top. The project uses the 1/16" Carving Bit and the 1/8" Cutting Bit. No other bits are required. The overall dimensions of the two dome top boxes are about 3" dia. x 2.25" tall. The penta box is about 4½" dia. x 3.75" tall.

Main items you will need:
1) The Project Files (included):
• Round_Domed_Boxes.mpc
• Penta_Box.mpc

2) Boards with the following dimensions:
Round Boxes: .75" x 9" x 21.5"
Penta Box: .75" x 9" x 21.5"

(Do not use boards that are smaller than specified above unless using an appropriate jig.)

3) Sandpaper, wood glue, clamps, stain and/or paint and clear finish. OPTIONAL: Self-stick felt for placing into the bottom and underside of the boxes

4) A Dremel-type rotary tool with assorted sanding wheels and bits to sand small details and speed up preparation for finishing. OPTIONAL: Spindle sander and belt/disc sander.

Apply stain/paint and clearcoat of your choice. Here’s what I used on my Precious Treasures boxes made from Select Pine:

Monogram Domed Box:
• Rust-Oleum Traditional Cherry Ultimate Stain
• Several light coats of Bulls Eye Spray shellac

Plain Domed Box:
• 3 coats of full-strength Bulls Eye SealCoat
• Several light coats of Bulls Eye Spray shellac

Penta Box:
• Brushed on 3 coats Sculpt Nouveau Copper B and Copper Smart Stain (mixed 2:1 ratio, respectively)
• Applied Sculpt Nouveau Tiffany Green Patina while third coat of copper was still slightly wet
• 3 light coats of Sculpt Nouveau clear Smart Coat

Smoken D
11-04-2013, 08:10 AM
Nice boxes, will make a great Christmas present for someone I know:D

Bigtyme
11-04-2013, 08:14 AM
Very sharp boxes, Michael. Well done!! I agree with Smokin D...they will be great Christmas gifts

ekimnamyr
11-04-2013, 11:56 AM
Great job on the boxes Michael, Cant wait to give them a shot!!!!!! I must agree that they will make great gifts.

lynnfrwd
11-04-2013, 03:52 PM
On it's way.....to an email inbox near you!!!!

rcdages
11-04-2013, 04:06 PM
I am in love with the boxes for this POM.

What wonderful gifts they will make.

One of these will have a Jon it................

Smoken D
11-04-2013, 06:08 PM
Got Mine:D

mtylerfl
11-04-2013, 06:31 PM
Thanks again, everyone. You are such a great encouragement to me and it is very much appreciated. I strive to design projects that will be fun and useful for you!