PDA

View Full Version : Incredibly frustrated: GUI.EXE has stopped working

mikedn
11-03-2013, 07:45 AM
Just spent $200 to upgrade to Designer 2.0.

Cannot get the program to start a new project. Every time I attempt to create a new project, the program crashes with a "GUI.EXE has stopped responding".

Is there a log file anywhere which might help?

I have attempted to revert back to Designer 1.x but now, after installation of Designer 2.0, it is exhibiting the same error.

lynnfrwd
11-03-2013, 08:37 AM
You may just need to get through preview database build. It could also be installation issue. What OS is your computer? It could be something else will your computer, GL or firewall.

Deolman
11-03-2013, 01:11 PM
Tells a little more of what you have and maybe we can give you some ideas. PC, operating system etc? Are you running any type of anti-virus software?

mikedn
11-03-2013, 05:25 PM
Dell Precision 6600 64-bit laptop, 16GB RAM.
Windows 7 x86_64. All latest updates installed.
AVG Antivirus 2014. Again, all latest updates.
Windows firewall.

I can launch both apps. Both applications exhibit the same symptom now.

I get the initial "Welcome to CarveWright" window.

If I attempt to open an existing project (created with 1.x) an image of the board will display on the screen with my design, and then I immediately get the GUI error.

If I attempt to create a new project, I get the window asking me for board dimensions, and once I supply the dimensions and click ok, I get the GUI error.

If I attempt to click on Last Project, I immediately get the GUI error (once the board image is rendered).

I can click the X to close the window and get to the menus (it is extremely slow to close this window, if that means anything, takes 15+ seconds). However, I have the same result if I use one of the menu options off the main menu.

I have tried running both as admin and not as admin. Same effect.

I have attempted to run in compatibility mode (Vista, XP, Windows 2008) with no improvement.

I can connect to the license server within the application, so, unless there is something else the application is doing via the web I am not aware of, I do not believe the firewall should be an issue (and I'm not receiving any messages from Windows Firewall informing me of a blocked program.)

Completely disabling AVG antivirus prior to program launch has no effect. Same symptoms.

Designer 1 creates a file "out" in its installation directory when it executes. This file reads as follows:

LicenseManager: About to get computerId
*** Using Standard Settings ***
Computer ID = MxxxxxxxN
CarveWright Version 1.187 Build 10870
CarveWright Designer
Nightly -- Installers
No Build Agent
VCS Revision None
ipcServer: listening on 127.0.0.1 :4930
QSocketDevice::readBlock: Invalid socket

Then, when I get the GUI error, it adds to the file:

QThread object destroyed while thread is still running.

Have uninstalled both, rebooted, reinstalled version 1, same result, reinstalled version 2, same result.

I'm basically dead in the water here. Any help would be appreciated, since I'm operating in "boat anchor" mode at the moment.

henry1
11-03-2013, 05:33 PM
I had that same problem when I got my new desk top was frustrating and found out I did not have all the update it took a while and Connie help me on that I am ok now but IP had changed twice,, that about a yr. ago were are you mikedn location

Deolman
11-03-2013, 07:37 PM
Did you install it as "Administrator?"

mikedn
11-06-2013, 08:53 AM
Ok, problem solved... Thanks to the guys who emailed me and gave me a few clues.

Went to Windows Event Viewer, and looked at the Application Log. There, I found an error which was more descriptive:

Faulting application name: gui.exe, version: 0.0.0.0, time stamp: 0x51fff725
Faulting module name: nvoglv32.DLL, version: 9.18.13.1110, time stamp: 0x5101a1c0
Exception code: 0xc0000005
Fault offset: 0x00a373f6
Faulting process id: 0x2168
Faulting application start time: 0x01ced8e77cf0f33d
Faulting application path: C:\Program Files (x86)\CarveWright2\gui.exe
Faulting module path: C:\Windows\system32\nvoglv32.DLL
Report Id: c7a92cb9-44da-11e3-850d-3859f9d8f2ef

The issue turned out to be a problem with the NVidia drivers installed on my laptop. There was an issue with the NVWMI portion of the Nvidia software, which I do not fully understand the linkage to... however, by downloading and installing new video drivers, paying special attention to ensuring the NVWMI portion was installed correctly with no problems, the issue was resolved.

hess
11-10-2013, 06:06 AM
mike how did you get the new drivers im having the same issue still

TravBWest
04-22-2014, 07:27 PM
the problem just started for me and i have the new cw system with Designers 1&2. Ive been carving for a month atleast already then poof this happened-i have a Dell laptop with a Vista Home Premium edition software=now im a very frustrated boat anchor- any help would be appreciated TY

fwharris
04-22-2014, 07:46 PM
the problem just started for me and i have the new cw system with Designers 1&2. Ive been carving for a month atleast already then poof this happened-i have a Dell laptop with a Vista Home Premium edition software=now im a very frustrated boat anchor- any help would be appreciated TY

How many patterns do you have loaded into your favorites? If the favorites file gets to large it can slow down your system and cause crashes.

You might also try turning off the preview feature in 2.xxx.

CW-HAL9000
04-22-2014, 08:16 PM
Make sure you are running the programs as an administrator.

TravBWest
04-22-2014, 09:07 PM
Gentleman with Mr. Harris's help pointing me in the right direction,most of my issue has been resolved-while looking into my favorites i discovered somehow -idk the favorites menu has saved itself in quadriplicate. i was unaware of it until i clicked onto my favorites and noticed 4 copies of favorites-each pattern in each sub category copied 4 times! after going to documents Carvewright and locating them and deleting them i am normal and now can create patterns again!! Yay Thank You again Mr. Harris for heading me into the right direction. I need to tell you that in documents under Carvewright there should only be one favorites not multiples or numbered ones Ex.Favorites23798

fwharris
04-22-2014, 09:30 PM
Gentleman with Mr. Harris's help pointing me in the right direction,most of my issue has been resolved-while looking into my favorites i discovered somehow -idk the favorites menu has saved itself in quadriplicate. i was unaware of it until i clicked onto my favorites and noticed 4 copies of favorites-each pattern in each sub category copied 4 times! after going to documents Carvewright and locating them and deleting them i am normal and now can create patterns again!! Yay Thank You again Mr. Harris for heading me into the right direction. I need to tell you that in documents under Carvewright there should only be one favorites not multiples or numbered ones Ex.Favorites23798

Good catch and yes getting duplicates will bog things down. Most times the duplicates are created when you have double clicked (tried to open) the .MPN file.

Glad you got your problem fixed!

t-townwilson
05-22-2014, 06:02 AM
I am experiencing the same problem on a specific carve using both MAC and WINDOWS 8 software:( I am trying to carve the nameplates for my grandchildren as described in the tutorial for the 2D upgrade of Designer 2.xxxx. I successfully designed one on my MAC running Mavericks, but subsequent attempts using different names crashed every time when I get to the step of adding "path offset." The only way I can even reopen Designer is to do a "force quit" on "fontgen." I have tried the fixes listed in this forum of the app nap and also clicking on system preferences on MAC and selecting "CarveWright" in privacy/accessibility window. These solutions don't work in this issue.

So, I loaded Designer 2.xxx on my wife's WINDOWS 8 machine and tried the same design. Guess what? At the same point in the design I received a message that "GUI.EXE has stopped responding", and the program ultimately shut down. I am very frustrated! Anybody have a clue why this is happening? Strange that it happens on this particular step, and that I was successful one time.

Thank you in advance for any help you can give. I have had my machine for about two months, and it has not worked properly for most of that time. After three weeks of frustration talking to tech support and finally sending in parts for checking that proved fine, I sent the entire machine back a week ago. I'm looking forward to getting it back, and am trying to get some carves ready:p. Thanks for letting me vent. I have been really frustrated by the combination of these hardware and software problems!

bergerud
05-22-2014, 09:27 AM
Could you post the project file?

t-townwilson
05-24-2014, 05:08 AM
Well, after watching the tutorial video one more time, I realized the problem is not with Designer, but with ME! I was selecting more vectors for offset path than I should have, and he program was confused :(. Glad it wasn't the software, as I supposed!!:)

Capt Bruce
05-24-2014, 08:22 AM
We're glad you were able to track that down t-townwilson. Once again that dastardly Operator Error has crept up and bit one of us. It is always lurking out there and bites all of us occasionally. Good to hear you survived the attack and will be warned in the future. Happy carving.

bergerud
05-24-2014, 09:45 AM
Well, after watching the tutorial video one more time, I realized the problem is not with Designer, but with ME! I was selecting more vectors for offset path than I should have, and he program was confused :(. Glad it wasn't the software, as I supposed!!:)

Any time the program crashes, it is the program, not the operator. If you we doing something that should not be done, the program should tell you, not crash.

I call this a bug. Could you explain what you did to make the program crash?