PDA

View Full Version : Hate wasting my time on computers that don't Work!

Gean
10-31-2013, 02:48 PM
Here's the scoop. Using Designer 1.187, I imported the Napkin Holder POM. Put in my memory card then plugged in the reader to my USB port. Went to download to the card. All normal so far. Sometimes the computer stops immediately and sometimes it loads part of the file (one time it got to 56%). Sometimes it tells me the card is damaged and sometimes it just stops responding. I have two cards and two readers. Doesn't matter which I use. Tried rebooting my computer, tried deleting Designer and reinstalling, always the same thing!

RMarkey
10-31-2013, 03:53 PM
Have you tried different ports? I've had ports with bad connections before, too.

The Carvewright's card reader is very simple - no drivers are needed because it uses the same generic drivers your mouse/keyboard uses. It makes it slower, but much more cross-platform compatible.

bluecobra
10-31-2013, 04:34 PM
Would plugging the reading in first and then inserting the memory card after it's been recognized make a difference? Never had any issues this way (knock on sawdust)

Gean
10-31-2013, 05:28 PM
Have tried three different ports with the same results. The computer recognizes the card/reader as sometimes it begins loading the file to the card. VERY FRUSTRATING!!!

lynnfrwd
10-31-2013, 05:47 PM
Have you tried uploading just a basic project with one simple pattern on it?

Have you made sure there is enough space on the cards? 393K in best on mine.

Mine uploaded just fine, so I'm not really sure.

Did you get to the window where you named it? Did it fail before or after?

Gean
10-31-2013, 10:39 PM
Well, another 30 minutes wasted! Lynn, it did load a simple "Open" sign that I had made for a business. I tried the bottom of the Autumn Leaf POM with no luck. My card shows almost 2900 free space and the file was 1040. I am getting more than one error message. "Error writing to flash device. Flash is damaged or cannot be written".....Under the firmware button it gave me "The flash operation failed with error code -1. Please verify the Programmer is plugged in and the memory card is inserted" It seems to only be able to access the card reader once or twice before it needs reinserted.

Gean
10-31-2013, 10:40 PM
As an addition to the previous post. I once again changed cards, readers, and USB ports.

fwharris
10-31-2013, 10:45 PM
Gean,

Check the connectors on the card to see if you might have any dust chips in it or maybe some bend connectors.

Gean
10-31-2013, 10:51 PM
Last post tonight. When I go to Flash Manager and click on my simple file it reads the whole file and tells me about it at the bottom. When I click on any more complex file it locks up the whole program and I have to close Designer.

Gean
10-31-2013, 10:52 PM
fwharris.....I will do that in the morning but not sure why both cards and both readers result in the same problem.

fwharris
10-31-2013, 11:37 PM
fwharris.....I will do that in the morning but not sure why both cards and both readers result in the same problem.

Probably not. You might check the card reader as well.

Another thought, how many patterns do you have loaded in your favorites list? Possible that if you have a lot then they are taking up memory and could be slowing down your system.

Geomoo1
11-01-2013, 12:08 AM
Gean, I have the exact same problem with my Acer, Windows 7, desktop computer no matter what port I use. It's a good thing I have a laptop and a WiFi network. The same cards/readers (I have two also) that won't work with the desktop work flawlessly with the laptop (Windows 7 also), so I design on the Acer, copy the mpc's from desktop to the laptop to upload to the reader. A real pain in the a... uh, rear, but it works. Go figure!!!!

Gean
11-01-2013, 10:08 AM
Well, this morning I looked both cards and readers over with a magnifying glass....don't see any problems there. Uninstalled Designer from my computer and re-installed. Same problems as yesterday, everything seems to work fine except when you want to download something other than a simple text only file. It goes through all the steps and then locks up after you tell it "normal" or "best" etc. Today it did get to 67% before it stopped and sat for about 10 minutes. I then unhooked the reader and that gave me the error message. May have to get my wife's old Dell laptop out and try it. All my carvewright files are on a thumb drive.

lynnfrwd
11-01-2013, 10:20 AM
I have seen others with Acers that have had issues. Not sure what is different about that computer. Is it a laptop or tablet?

Gean
11-01-2013, 10:59 AM
My computer is a Dell laptop. I decided to get out my wife's old Dell laptop and install Designer on it. Of course I had my current Dell licensed and my even older PC that I no longer have, so I had to call LHR and have them deactivate the old one. Short story - long....got it licensed and it worked! Now if I can just figure out mine. Did notice that the icon on my desktop doesn't show the CW machine. Gonna uninstall ....disable my antivirus and try again.

Geomoo1
11-01-2013, 04:54 PM
I have seen others with Acers that have had issues. Not sure what is different about that computer. Is it a laptop or tablet?

Sorry. I misstated. My desktop (the one that won't work with the readers/cards) is a custom built with ASUS mother board while the laptop is an ACER Aspire One 722 and it works flawlessly with the readers/cards.

Gean
11-03-2013, 07:49 AM
Carved one napkin holder with each machine using both memory cards. Worked flawlessly! Still no luck with my newer Dell laptop! As I said in an earlier post, the icon isn't showing the CW machine. Something isn't downloading it properly, May gave to spend the money for the new version.

lynnfrwd
11-03-2013, 07:59 AM
Not sure that will resolve the download issue. Call us Monday and we can figure it out.

badbert
11-03-2013, 11:33 AM
I have had similar USB problems. Not with the Carvewright, but similar still. Check to see if you have any "Virtual" drives installed. Some CD/DVD burning software will install one. If there is one installed, try disabling it. Another thing to try, Create a new user account on your PC. Give it administrative rights and a password. restart your computer and log onto the new account, and try again. Good luck, and keep us posted!

You could always buy a cheap usb add-on card and install it in an empty slot. Different ports and drivers...