PDA

View Full Version : new error never seen before

myshop1044
10-15-2013, 07:17 PM
I'm doing some testing using a new sled, 2 sided carve test.
did the back test carve on a 13 1/4" x 18 1/8" sled, test foam is 10 1/4" x 11 1/4"
the test on the back went good, I removed the sled and flipped the foam reentered
the sled, it measured the "Y" ok, then it start on the "x" when this error appeared and
it was just about inch onto the back of the sled. It said wrong board size, reload or continue,
I hit reload and reloaded the sled boom! it did it again, so I hit continue and went on with the project.

see attached photos????

any ideas

fwharris
10-15-2013, 08:03 PM
I am guessing that it measured the width different based on the info on the display. Did it ask to do any scaling?

unitedcases
10-15-2013, 08:04 PM
When you load the sled you need to put it in the same spot as when you first loaded it. Make a mark on the sled thay corresponds with a mark somewhere on the machine. The problem even when we think we are curring a straight line we may waver a fraction and the machine picks it up. Make sense?

myshop1044
10-15-2013, 08:47 PM
I do Mark the center line based on the length of the sled. I took out the sled and started over again doing the back
carve again and it did the same error again. That's when I took the pictures.
I will try it tomorrow on my other machine too.
There was no scaling question either.
Perry B.

unitedcases
10-15-2013, 08:58 PM
So when it measures the back and the front the sled is in the same position? Any noticeable taper to the edges of the sled. .038 inches is nothing. Very odd. I think I would take a hard look at the sides of the sled to make sure they run true. Or maybe change your measuring point?

Digitalwoodshop
10-15-2013, 10:51 PM
I agree, I would have hit continue and it would have asked you to scale it... but since the difference was so small... It would not be noticeable...

If you installed the sled on a slight angle... That could give you this problem...
If a fleck of foam is on your board sensor lens....

And the Maytag Repairman in me.... "The Y gear box bearngs are shot".... Hence the slop in the Y...

AL

55president
10-16-2013, 08:31 AM
How many hrs on the "y" gearbox bearings?

myshop1044
10-16-2013, 12:10 PM
No sure, a few hundred hours. I did a test again this morning and had the same error, it seems that the measurment
of the same sled twice should not make that much difference. I made sure that the sled was tight against the sq. pplate so there is no travel problem.
I hit continue and it finished the test fine, who knows,I have quite a few handles to make to let this worry me.

bergerud
10-16-2013, 12:21 PM
Wrap some short pieces of tape on the edges of the sled and try the width measurements on the tape. I do not think that the IR sees the wood as we do.

55president
10-16-2013, 03:44 PM
loosen up on the y-belt and wiggle the y motor pully. if you get any movement it's either the bearings or the y-motor gear shaft. My machine goes through either
the shafts or bearings about every 125 hrs.

unitedcases
10-17-2013, 07:30 PM
No sure, a few hundred hours. I did a test again this morning and had the same error, it seems that the measurment
of the same sled twice should not make that much difference. I made sure that the sled was tight against the sq. pplate so there is no travel problem.
I hit continue and it finished the test fine, who knows,I have quite a few handles to make to let this worry me.

Any update myshop?

myshop1044
10-17-2013, 09:13 PM
my second machine has board censor problem, so I will have to change it before I test the sled on it.
I have a show Saturday so I have to stop and get ready for the show.
But I will try to do another 2 sided test carve using another sled and see if I get an error also, if I don't, then I will
know it's the new sled. I inspected the sled and found no bad edges or tapers anywhere.
The plot thickens

Perry B.

unitedcases
10-17-2013, 09:43 PM
Well here is one for you then and it goes to what bergerud was saying...I have a 40in long sled and I set my designs for it at 39.75in. Everytime the machine would measure it it would come up with 39.7 and of course it wanted me to scale. No...this is why I set the design .25 smaller so I would never have to worry about that. So I took a piece of tape on each side and put it on the edge and folded it over. I added nothing to the length and now it measures just fine. The weird part, the sled is made from white melamine. And the tape is white.

55president
10-18-2013, 10:18 AM
I do that too , if the machine says my board is too short by .1 in or whatever, I'll just put a piece of
tape to extend the measurement either on the x or y axis and remeasure. all of my stuff is not
dependent on exact measurements anyway.

myshop1044
10-18-2013, 03:33 PM
Ok I did put tape on the edges width side and same error. what's funny is the design board is 10.125 length and 11.25 width.
the sled is 13.25 width and 18.25 length, so there is enough wood all around the design board. Why is it questioning the width?
this was the new readings on the width 11.247/10.125, with the tape , what it thinks is the back side of the board, this is the readings after it ask to flip the board 13.437/13.371 and all I did up raise the head and lower it again on the sled, never took out the sled.

I tried it again, letting the machine read on the back end of the sled not on the foam, and this what I got on the so call back side board, 11.241/10.125 and this what I got after I tricked it and let it read the back end of the sled again, 13.344/13.370
all I know is when I say continue it complete the project as if nothing is wrong.

who knows, their might gremlins in there

Perry B.

chief2007
10-18-2013, 04:17 PM
What I found is when doing a double or 2 sided carving is the the machine confirms that the piece of wood measures the same on both sides of the board.

I have had this happen when doing a doubled sided carving. I manually measured the board and the width measure was not the same therefore the machine thought I had inserted a different board. Pressed continue and the carving turned out ok.

After you sled the board you are using, check to see if the width measurements are the same all the down the length of the board.

Same would occur if the length is off.