PDA

View Full Version : Another Y-Axis problem

vidtery
02-14-2007, 11:04 PM
New Machine yesterday, out of the box today.

Went through the setup process, everything appeared routine. No unexpected problems. Put the small 'sample project' (the clamshell) on the flash card, to test the machine.

Followed the instructions -- a little difficulty getting the bit in place -- and ran the project. Everything worked well...nice little carving.

HOWEVER, at the conclusion, the carving head parked at the extreme left of the machine...this seemed strange to me. I couldn't find any command that would move it to the center....like a computer printer printhead.

Decided to run a second, duplicate board, to see what happened. The head DID move back and forth over the board a number of times, like it was measuring or whatever. Then it re-parked extreme left, and the error message Y-Axis error 236 came up. After hitting stop as instructed, I tried to run the program again. The head would not move at all, and the error message repeated.

Now the head is 'locked' at the extreme left side of the machine. Unplugging doesn't reset anything, and the error code comes up every time, with no head movement.

There are 7 1/2 minutes of use on this new machine -- a Sears unit -- and that seems just a bit quick for it to fail.

What is the right thing to do?

Terry in Iowa

Jeff_Birt
02-14-2007, 11:18 PM
Terry,

There is no command to move the head to the center, you can move it by hand if needed, but the machine will prompt you when it needs a bit change and move to the center by itself. When you try to run the project does the head go to the back (away from keypad) and a small plate filp out? The bit should come down and touch this plate. Does that happen? Have you searched for other Y-axis problems that sounded similar to yours?

vidtery
02-14-2007, 11:26 PM
Jeff...

Sorry that my description was unclear.

The head does not do anything. When the keypad entry process gets to the point to press enter to begin the carving, nothing happens except the error message shows up.

I have looked at all of the y-axis (and other axises as well) problem postings. None of them seem to indicate the head being 'locked' at the left side of the machine.

It may be that it can be moved to center by hand, but gives enough resistance when I 'gently' try to do so that it appears to me to be frozen/locked where it is against the left side. I certainly don't want to try to overpower it, and do more damage.

I did see the postings about the bit plate...but the carving head would first have to begin moving, and so far that isn't happening.

Terry in Iowa

vidtery
02-15-2007, 12:13 AM
A bit of updated information...don't expect that it is diagnostic in any way, but who knows.

Upon being urged by another CompuCarve owner to try to move the carving head back to the center, I did, and found that actually it could be moved pretty easily. With that little incentive, I figured I'd give it another try, starting from square one. I went through the entire process, including even removing and re-installing the bit. Went through everything on the LCD window as normal.

When all information was input, I hit enter to begin the process of the head doing the measuring, etc.

Instead, as soon as I hit enter the carving head moved IMMEDIATELY to the extreme left side of the machine, and parked there. (Go DIRECTLY to Jail, no moving around, no stopping to move up and down.)

for the record, the software is the latest updated version, as is the firmware.

Terry in Iowa

The Bard
02-15-2007, 12:33 AM
homing error.

I think that it is having trouble finding the Y axis.

One way to check this is, from Project Menu, hit "0" and then "7"

Immediately you'll see Home Sensor... pushing the truck all the way up should so "blocked"... pushing it down should show "clear"

what is happening is it goes up and hits the Z flag (the metal bracket that wraps around the Y truck and goes between the sensors) and then runs to the left to find the Y flag. Most likely the Z flag is a little high,or a little low. Try this. Let it go through the process again. Don't touch the trucks when it stalls. Then look at the sensor. Most likely it says "clear" even though it should be blocked now. Put your hand on the Flex shaft and lift up slightly. If it says "blocked" then your Z flag was most likely low and you can simply push it up slightly (it will be very firm because it isn't supposed to move. Just keep applying pressure until it stays a little higher than it was).

If you have to pull up to where the Z flag is going between again, then your flag was too high. Simply push it down slightly and retry.

hopefully this helps.

but I'm no expert.

vidtery
02-15-2007, 10:10 AM
Bard...

Thanks for the detailed instructions.

I was hoping that they might put me on the right track, and perhaps they still will.

I first did the menu "0" then "7" thing, and just as you said, it showed clear when all the way up. I removed the flex shaft, re-inserted it, pull up a bit, and now the LCD display shows blocked when all the way up, and clear when down.

However, that's as far as your instructions got me. I know all of the parts have to be called SOMETHING, but when terminology seems more Martian than English, and the manual does not show the parts in question (or I'm not recognizing them), it doesn't help much. My Z FLAG may be low, but I can't even FIND whatever a Z FLAG is. I can tell the Y Truck (the part that moves up and down and by extension the Z truck is the big part that moves side to side.

However, I can't seem to find any Z flag to try to move slightly. A drawing or picture would sure help to know what I'm trying to see. It goes between the sensors you say, but I can't find...and the manual doesn't show (I don't think) the sensors so that I could see WHAT goes between them.

By the way, after adjusting the flex shaft so that it now reads properly when all the way up, I again tried to operate the machine, and the head immediately goes left and parks.

I'd be happy to try to adjust the part you mention, if you could give me some non-jargon description of where it is.

Thanks for continuing help.

Terry in Iowa

The Bard
02-15-2007, 10:26 AM
hehe Z flag.... I described it as (the metal bracket that wraps around the Y truck and goes between the sensors)

First thing is the Z truck moves up and down. The Y truck moves left and right.

if you look at the Y truck, there is a metal piece... maybe 3/4th of an inch wide that wraps around to the left side of the Z truck (the truck that holds the bit). It goes between two tiny black boxes that are the home sensor.

Now what happens is, when it homes, the Z truck moves up and the z flag goes between the home sensors... blocking them. Then it moves a predetermined distance down. Then the Y truck moves to the left to find a similar (but smaller) Y flag. This is a metal piece that is actually shaped like a tiny (maybe 3/8ths inch) flag. It puts that flag between the home sensors and that gives it a reference point. If the Z flag is too low, then it won't hit the Y flag because it misses it by a few thousands of an inch. If it is too high, same thing.

So when it stalls, if you can pull slightly up on the flexshaft and it shows blocked, then push the z flag (the 3/4th in metal piece) slightly straight up. and Try again. It is a trial and error thing but remember it's never going to be more than 1/8th of an inch unless it was really messed up.

If it stalls and pulling up on the shaft doesnt' work (or just hits the z flag again) then try pushing the z flag slightly down and try again.

I hope I didn't lose you again. I have no way to put pictures on here.

vidtery
02-15-2007, 11:55 AM
Bard...

You didn't lose me...I followed what you wrote perfectly, I believe. I'm going to give this one more shot before surrendering.

Went back to the manual and of course I did have the Ztruck and Ytruck names reversed.

I see the Yflag, I see the metal band you call Zflag.

I have the flex cable 'adjusted' so that the LCD reads blocked when it should.

Now here is what I observe. No matter where I position the carving head assembly...to the left, to the right, anywhere in between, and then press enter to start the process, the assembly moves up and down slightly, several times, then the whole unit rushes to the left side and parks itself...no movement there at all.

I tried some tiny 'adjustments' to that Zflag horizontal piece of black metal...both slightly up and slightly down. NO change in the operation of the truck assembly...rushes to the left and parks.

HOWEVER, if I make a very slightly more than slight adjustment to that Zflag, and press enter, the assembly moves to the center and stops, and the error message Z-axis stall error 246 (rather than 236) appears.

In summary, no adjustment to that Zflag, or slight adjustment (tried numerous times each way) has no effect on the error. Slightly more adjustment stalls the assembly in a different place, with a different error message.

I have to think that this tinkering is exactly the thing that could be detrimental to warranty coverage, and given that Sears doesn't have a repair facility in this city, any attempt to get the machine 'looked at' and repaired seems fraught with problems and delays at best.

Do you have any other suggestions?

Terry in Iowa

The Bard
02-15-2007, 12:38 PM
Carvewright, is the only support facility in the world for this machine. hehe sears technicians don't know anything about it.

So, the only recourse I would say is to call us here and get on the list for a call back so I can talk to you and diagnose the problem.

It may very well be an easy fix and we have just to find it.

Sorry i couldn't help more.

Jeff_Birt
02-15-2007, 12:49 PM
See if this helps...

vidtery
02-15-2007, 01:05 PM
Bard...

On your advice, I have called Carveright tech support, left a voice mail, and will await a return phone call, whenever. I referenced this forum thread as a way to specifically identify the problem I'm having.

Now will wait for a return call.

And here is the real rub. IF -- only an if for now -- I decide to return the machine to Sears, their return policy is predicated at least partly on how long I've had the equipment. For a return because a customer doesn't like the product, there is a15% restocking fee. For a machine not working out of the box...a faulty unit...the fee is waived. The longer one keeps the machine, the more it falls into the former category; a machine dead on arrival would be returned quickly, it seems.

I'm still very hopeful that we can find a solution to this sensor problem.

Terry in Iowa

The Bard
02-15-2007, 02:00 PM
just an FYI..

voicemails do not get call backs. You have to leave a message with a person so it gets to me. I have a two day backlog of calls to make currently so I'll get to you as you get to the top of the list.

sorry i can't go faster.

Bill
02-18-2007, 05:47 AM
Jeff, explains a lot, very nice I am sure this will help a lot of folks understand flags, sensors.

Bill.