PDA

View Full Version : The Woodworking Show 2013-14 Season

lynnfrwd
10-07-2013, 02:24 PM
The 2013-14 Season of The Woodworking Shows is close upon us. They have added a few shows back to their season, so hopefully we will be coming to a place near you.

Show
Dates
Representative

Dallas
Oct. 25-27
Cecil Craft

Costa Mesa
Nov 1-3
Clint Stoutenburgh

Sacramento
Nov 8-10
Connie Ratisseau

Portland
Nov 15-17
David Jochim

Denver
Nov 22-24
Floyd Harris

Baltimore
Jan 3-5
Dave Tingley

W. Springfield
Jan 10-12
Joe Szegda

Indianapolis
Jan 17-19

Columbus
Jan 31-Feb 2

St. Louis
Feb 7-9

Somerset
Feb 21-23

Kansas City
Feb 28-Mar 2
Jerry Prinds

Atlanta
Mar 7-9
Bruce Kinney

Milwaukee
Mar 14-16
CW will not be attending

Tampa
Mar 21-23
Joe Ragsdale

Houston
Mar 28-30
Perry Bonin/Robert Dages (this show is possibly canceled)

If you are signed up to work this show for us or would like to be, please contact me. We are looking for someone in these areas to manage these shows, so if you are interested and have at least one year of experience, let me know.

Connie

myshop1044
10-07-2013, 03:13 PM
Connie where is the Dallas show being held, I will be in the Dallas area that weekend and I would like to
by and say hello.

Perry B.

lynnfrwd
10-07-2013, 03:31 PM
Big Town Events Center
2323 Big Town Boulevard
Mesquite, TX 75149

lynnfrwd
10-09-2013, 04:52 PM
We still have some openings for WWS. Needs to be customer with at least one year experience working with machine and software. Please send us photos of some of your projects, if interested.

cestout
10-11-2013, 06:43 PM
Connie,
If the OC fairgrounds show works out well, I might take the Sacramento show next year. Unless you really want it - your are, after all, the boss. My wife/assistant wants to know if company shirts are included again this year (it has been 2 years since we did a show)?
Clint

Capt Bruce
10-11-2013, 06:51 PM
Thanks for the listing of Shows and the assigned Representatives so we can all plan ahead. Looking forward to this again as the last two years in Atlanta have been great experiences with our customers and new user Wannabees. We'll do our best to keep you and Lori busy in March. Thanks again.

lynnfrwd
10-11-2013, 09:18 PM
We don't have any shirts or any ordered.

I'm so excited about going to No. Cal. My second son has lived there for just under a year. I am adding a couple of days to my trip so I can see him just north of SanFran.

lynnfrwd
11-14-2013, 09:27 AM
We will NOT be at the Portland Woodworking Show. Next show is in Denver with START U member Floyd Harris.

Capt Bruce
12-01-2013, 09:51 AM
In light of the announced new 2" depth carving capability a few questions regarding the rest of the scheduled Wood Working Shows now through 2014.

First, can the demo machine shipped to the shows still be run with Ver 1.187? I'm thinking ahead to March in Atlanta but I have not upgraded to 2.0 yet. Obviously it would be needed on my laptop to demo the newest features. It probably will not be practical to actually run a deep carve project but a carved wood example to show off will answer many questions for attendees.

Are examples of the new long bits going to be in with the show CW machine? Are the new bits on the sales price sheet(s) for the Shows?

Can we please inventory and ensure all the machine parts and pieces are shipped from one show to the next. No hex wrench or cutting bit were sent to Atlanta last year in March so I had to scramble to find tools and drove 45 miles home before the Noon opening.

Connie, you mentioned no new START U shirts are available. Is there a Start U or CarveWright embroidered patch available that can be added to other clothing for the shows? Helps to be identifiable in the booth but my original START U t-shirt is looking sort of threadbare after 3 years.

Floyd, and more photos of your set-up and the Denver show? Thanks

fwharris
12-01-2013, 11:35 AM
Bruce,

Any and all machines are run by what ever version of the firmware that is flashed on the card. The machine does not know or care what designer version created the project file. All it want is a project to run. When I set up for the Denver show the card was empty, no projects, so guessing Connie reformatted it when she closed up the norther California show. I left 2 carving projects on the card that were set up with 2.0.

Yes it would be nice to have a deep carve example in the display box. Problem is though of the box is already loaded up with current examples and display items. If done the project and maybe the new bits would have to be sent to the next person doing the next show.

I also had a similar issue last year with missing some items needed for the machine. But thinking ahead I had already packed in some of my tools as a just in case needed. Since Denver is just an hour drive for me I actually went down on the Thursday before the show to set the booth up. Doing so gives me the time for set up and the opportunity to see if there is anything missed that I should bring on Friday. I did find that there was no split collet with the bit set so I brought mine just in case I wanted to run a V bit carve.

The show pallet this year does have a small folding table but did not have the printer like last year. Be prepared to make your own copies of the pricing sheets. Connie had passed on from her show a good number of sheets but in total I think I ran off about 150 copies of each on my home printer. If you do the same make sure you set the print quality down as AS YOU WILL BURN UP A LOT OF BLACK INK! :p

I also only took one picture of the booth area.

dltccf
12-01-2013, 10:05 PM
Since the Denver show is over it looks like I am next man up. Since this is my first show, Will the display be shipped directly to the show grounds or to me? How early do we get to check in to the show to start setting up? Anything else I should know?

dave

Capt Bruce
12-01-2013, 10:07 PM
Many thanks Floyd,

Pretty much what I was expecting so no surprises in all that. Many thanks for your notes and guidance as always. The problem I was anticipating was projects on the card are unknowns until you turn on the machine that morning and I like to have known samples programed to carve that match the wood pieces (width) I bring to the show. Again will bring my own memory card.

I assume you brought your own table cloths for the extra tables? Is the small table sitting up on the right side long table yours? I use a knock down shelf system for this purpose.

66066 66067 March 2013 in Atlanta

I'll do the same as you did and bring tools/supplies/bits on my own just in case again this year because who knows what will be left by the time it all gets to Atlanta in early March.

Did you have to over ride the cover switches to install and use the dust collector shown in your photo? Geee, I wonder what brand that is?????

Good point on the split collet although I normally run 1/2" shank V bits for Vector carving and Centerline lettering.

As always business cards, business cards etc.

Connie, if you're following this can we please get PDF copies of the Show sales-order sheets and pricing in advance to run at Staples/Kinkos when printing is "on sale" rather than doing this at the last minute. This will allow each Start U Member to add their Sales reference number and point of contact information prior to printing copies. Hope you can assist us.

Thank you Floyd you've helped a colleague again and I hope other Show presenters will add to this thread over the months so we'll all know what to expect when we open the crates.

fwharris
12-01-2013, 11:06 PM
Your welcome Bruce!

Yes knowing what is to be carved from the card does help and always a great idea to set up your own carves based on the blanks you have. I used a sled for my 6x8 pine blanks and used that as a demo for the saving wood on your projects. :)

For the cover I used 3/16" dowel pieces that were cut to the length of the cover tabs, sanded down on the edges to fit inside the two tabs on the cover. I just used a couple of strips of masking tape to hole the dowels to the cover tabs. The DC-INSERT worked very well with my shop vac attached to a 4x2 1/4 reducer. I did have to clean the shop vac filter (used the included LHR vac that was included with the display).

The table cloths are included with the display pallets. The table included with the display was set up on the end of the table across the machine set up. I also brought one of my tables. I think when I set up again I would put the horse shoe with the opening in the area where the machine is set up to have a larger open area for people to step in and view the carvings. Having a booth on the end of the isle does allow for a better set up and crowd viewing area.

Yes business cards, I bet I handed out close to 200. I think using cards to hand out with the price sheets works well plus you do not have to worry about adding your info on the price sheets.

fwharris
12-01-2013, 11:16 PM
Since the Denver show is over it looks like I am next man up. Since this is my first show, Will the display be shipped directly to the show grounds or to me? How early do we get to check in to the show to start setting up? Anything else I should know?

dave

Dave,

The CarveWright booth set up materials travel from each show to the next will all of the other traveling vendors display items. You should check with the venue that the show will be at to verify when you can get in to set up. You might also be able find out where the CW booth location is. For the Denver show I went in about 10 AM on Thursday to set things up. This being your first show I highly advise you do the same as Friday morning can be a mind boggler. Thursdays is when they start un loading the trucks. They will deliver the pallets right to the booth location. After you get all of the items out of the boxes they will pick up the pallet and empty boxes (leave them on the pallet).

lynnfrwd
12-01-2013, 11:56 PM
I used my own memory card in NoCal.

I will send PDFs prior to each show, suggested booth diagram of setup, an inventory list (split collet only item that I know of that is missing, but I didn't need it). Booth includes 2 tables, but I bought a smaller folding table and added it for my show. I didn't have enough room. It is now traveling with the booth.

Capt Bruce
12-02-2013, 06:45 AM
Good morning Connie, Floyd and Dave,

We really appreciate all your input and how this will help everyone who will be presenting for CarveWright through 2014. Thanks for adding the extra small table and cloths Connie and I guess they will make it back to you in Pasadena the long way around. I'm bringing a great little 3' by 5' folding table picked up at Sam's for the Atlanta Show since Perry's worked well here last year to create the U shape display. (Hi Perry and good luck in Houston)

Additional thoughts
1. Extra extension cord(s) with multiple plug ends to be able to have everything plugged in at once (CW, laptop, large monitor, vacuum, beer chiller, cell phone charger, iPad etc. etc.) It sure saves time from swapping plugs when you want to be selling instead.
2. I want to move my PC and large monitor off the CW (right side table) both to cover the outside aisle (left side table) with a looping slide show and mostly to show we are not controlling the CW with the PC when it is carving a demo piece (like other CNCs at the Show). It will also get the electronics away from our dust producer.
3. I need to carve two business card holders both as carving examples and to keep my cards from getting scattered on the tables. They were my best investment for follow-up well after the Show throughout 2013.
4. I'll be adding a simple sled to my kit per your suggestion Floyd both to show how guests can save wood and to ensure every demo has a clean edge to ride the brass wheel and stay under the rollers. (Scottish heritage you know)
5. Clip boards for guests to be able to fill out sales orders and spare pens that work and you don't mind losing.
6. Connie, if you learn where the Atlanta show venue will be before the WWS site publishes it, any advance word would be greatly appreciated. Thanks for the PDFs in advance as well and for everything you and LHR leaders do to make this Show a success for all of us each year.

Dave, we wish you good fortune in January and like Floyd I'll be trying to set up Thursday in advance of my show. We were delayed several hours Friday morning last time waiting for an available forklift operator to bring out our pallet and needed two of us just to get set up in a hurry before the Noon opening. It also helps if you can bring a short step ladder for rigging the banner on the rear wall of the booth area. Not essential but I'll be doing it solo and do not trust standing on a flimsy plastic chair as I get older and wiser. I guess I don't want to be an early test subject for Obamacare.

Thanks again everyone.

dltccf
12-02-2013, 06:58 PM
Thanks for all the input guys. So you get to do actual carves while the show is going on? I figured the machine would be to loud for that to be allowed. Does that mean I need to bring some wood to the show? How much and what sized pieces?

dave

fwharris
12-02-2013, 08:30 PM
Thanks for all the input guys. So you get to do actual carves while the show is going on? I figured the machine would be to loud for that to be allowed. Does that mean I need to bring some wood to the show? How much and what sized pieces?

dave

I cut 1x6 pine into 8" lengths (for my sled size). I think I got a 8 footer and did bring some un carved pieces back home. You can carve on both sides if needed and try to set the carves up to be from 10 to 20 minutes, I did a couple of 30 minute ones. You will find, or I did, that you might get through 3 carves in a day as you will be pausing the carve to talk with the people as the step up to see what is going on.

fwharris
12-02-2013, 09:29 PM
Bruce,

At the complex for the Denver show they had a 4 plex outlet box for the power source. I used a plug strip to run the shop vacs, mine and LHR's, and plugged the Cw into the outlet box. I did bring a extension cord but did not need as there is one in the display box.

Capt Bruce
12-04-2013, 12:09 PM
Thanks Floyd,

Hope Atlanta will provide similar set up but like last year the booth on the other side of the curtain had to share same plug box so we started off short of outlets.

Do you recall if the extension cord happened to have a multi plug head?

Also a caution note, keep your spare bits and parts in a box out of site or they grow feet (at least at my last show). Had to pursue a visitor down the aisle and ask for the cutting bit he had been admiring before he walked on. May never happen to you but better out of sight.

Dave, I second Floyd's advice on sample wood pieces for cutting at the show. I gave some carvings away to kids with their Dads to take home and paint.

fwharris
12-04-2013, 04:05 PM
I do not think the cord had a multi plug head so bring yours. Yes great advice for not leaving anything loose on the tables. I kept all my stuff in my tool bag. It really helped having 2 extra sets of eyes, helpers, in the booth also. I do not know how doing this with one person would work, so if you can get someone to help you out sign them up.

dltccf
12-27-2013, 06:34 PM
You mentioned taking orders. I am not a startU guy so how do I take orders? Will there be show specials to offer?

fwharris
12-27-2013, 07:07 PM
You mentioned taking orders. I am not a startU guy so how do I take orders? Will there be show specials to offer?

There will be show special pricing, basically the same pricing they do for the holidays. There should be sheets in the display box at the show and betting Connie will email you the updated sheets prior to the show.

Since you are not signed up yet for the startu program and not having access to the ordering system you can either fill out the included ordering sheets to be called in during normal working hours or they might give you staff phone numbers so you can call in the order to them during the show. You also maybe/even be given access to the system to orders.

lynnfrwd
12-27-2013, 08:07 PM
We need to get you signed up.

dltccf
12-30-2013, 07:44 AM
Ok Connie. What do I need to do to get it done before the show starts?

Dave

lynnfrwd
12-30-2013, 09:45 AM
Go here to fill out the form to be sent the paperwork to apply: http://www.carvewright.com/startu/become-a-startu-member/

lynnfrwd
02-04-2014, 10:58 AM
We do not have anyone available to demonstrate at the St. Louis Woodworking Shows, so we will need to cancel it.

We are also still looking for someone to do the Milwaukee Show. Please let us know if you are interested.

Connie

(Edited: Jerry aka cnsranch will be doing the Kansas Show.) The Somerset Show has been cancelled for awhile.

Sliverfoot
02-04-2014, 02:56 PM
Really hope you can find someone for the Milwaukee show, been looking forward to it.

cnsranch
02-04-2014, 03:57 PM
I'll be doing the KC show - looking forward to it.

fwharris
02-04-2014, 04:04 PM

Good man Jerry. You should do very well with your background on the system..

lynnfrwd
02-04-2014, 04:35 PM
YES!! Jerry - (CNSRANCH) is doing the Kansas Show!

Capt Bruce
02-05-2014, 08:55 AM
Good on you Jerry. Let us know how your weekend goes please.

cnsranch
02-05-2014, 10:41 AM
Thanks - my first show - any advice is welcomed.

Dan-Woodman
02-06-2014, 09:17 AM
Best of luck at the show Jerry, I hope the weather clears up. I've got 8-9 inches on the ground here, and -4 degrees.

fwharris
02-06-2014, 09:52 AM

Read through this post to see what we gave Dave. Ask away....

lynnfrwd
02-06-2014, 10:23 AM
Ted Sadej will be our START U rep in Somerset New Jersey.

We have added this show back to our EVENTS calendar.

Ton80
02-21-2014, 08:45 PM
Anyone going to the Somerset show tomorrow ( Saturday, 21st ) ? I will be going down and walking around. Be wearing a black hoodie from DYKES LUMBER so stop me if ya see me and say howdy! I will be looking for the CW station to meet Ted.

lynnfrwd
03-04-2014, 05:31 PM
Bruce Kinney will be at the Atlanta Show.

We will NOT be at the Milwaukee show.

Joe Ragsdale will be at the Tampa Show.

It appears that the Houston Show may have been canceled, but we have not been notified.

myshop1044
03-04-2014, 07:28 PM
Connie please let me know about the Houston show I am still committed to do the show.

Perry B.

kcc2012
03-04-2014, 10:11 PM
I think it would be a blast to go to one of the shows. maybe one day I can get enough in airline miles.

WoodenWizard
03-07-2014, 07:03 PM
Saw bruce at the Atlanta show. I could not stop myself from telling folks about the machine.

fwharris
03-07-2014, 07:04 PM
So how was the Friday crowds?

WoodenWizard
03-07-2014, 09:06 PM
So how was the Friday crowds?

The show was actually packed, not sure how Bruce did. I have all the software and stuff so no sale to me :)

Dave

Capt Bruce
03-10-2014, 10:20 AM
Good morning Folks,

This is just a brief update of our weekend and above all I wish to express my sincere thanks to all our CW owners here who took the time to rally around the flag at the booth. This was my first single-handed Show having worked with Jason the first time and Perry Bonin from Louisiana last year so I was a bit unsure what I would face flying solo.

I cannot express how much fun it was to have our current users come by and catch up on what they have been doing with their systems. New and wannabe owners/visitors got caught up in that enthusiasm as their smart phones and iPads were passed around showing off carvings. There were times when five or six conversations were running at once. They talked techniques, maintenance, dust collection and capabilities that even taught me a few things. And I trusted my colleagues enough as I saw them talk with our visitors that I was able to take an occasional restroom break. I don't have many photos to share because the crowds at the booth were too thick and I was acting somewhat like a one armed wallpaper hanger with hives. A great chance as well to line up several training sessions for owners who still have a CW sitting unused in their shops or on the shelf.

68059 68060 68061 68062 68063 68064

The crowds were terrific beginning right at noon on Friday up to about 2:30 on Sunday when things slowed down a bit. It looks like six machines were sold by my orders in-hand and several more to come this week after folks decide which credit card to burn and what accessories they want to add. There is also great interest in the new CW-CX and its features and the Ver. 2 of Designer. Several "other CNC" owners want the Slicer software. We went through my entire printed supply of 250 each Sales and Price list forms and about 300 business cards and C model handouts. My thanks as well to Connie and the LHR team for the last minute shipment of handouts and parts. The machine was functioning fine by start-up on Friday and carved all weekend long. My spare table on the left really helped showing you don't have to keep a PC tied into the CW and the 5' long stallions carving really brought through our long board advantage over all the other CNCs. And that table also allowed for my large monitor slideshow display of projects and carvings from the last few years.

If any of our group have other photos please post them to show off our gathering of the CW Clan in Atlanta from all our surrounding states. Again my sincere thanks to everyone who supported us in getting ready for the Show, talking to our visitors and particularly my friend Don Bedell for his aid to your tired Representative when it came time to pack up our tent and send all this along to Joe for the Tampa Show. It was a blast and I'm already looking forward to next year!

DocWheeler
03-10-2014, 10:26 AM
Looks like you did well Capt, good job.
I'd like to attend a show, but not in the winter.

lynnfrwd
03-10-2014, 10:51 AM
Booth looks better than it ever has. Great displays!!

SharonB
03-10-2014, 11:47 AM
Like your START U shirt. Glad the show was a success.

Capt Bruce
03-10-2014, 12:10 PM
Thank you SharonB,

I had these embroidered just in time to wear them at the show in blue and yellow. Certainly helped me feel more professional in representing CW START U and my little business Kinney deSigns.

fwharris
03-10-2014, 12:12 PM
Bruce,

Great job sir and glad to hear you had a good crowd all weekend. Time to sit back and let your feet and vocal cords rest up.

Capt Bruce
03-10-2014, 12:29 PM
Booth looks better than it ever has. Great displays!!

Thank you Connie and again my thanks for all your help right up to the eleventh hour. That third table was a real advantage since we were not on a corner location of two aisles as in past shows. Also the tip from Floyd and others to go and set up Thursday afternoon was a lifesaver and will be part of my suggestions to others in the future. Thanks again to a great team of supporters.

gwhiz
03-10-2014, 02:27 PM
Bruce--it was great to finally meet you in person at the show! Folks, I wandered by the booth 3 times on Saturday and Bruce was engaged with multiple people each time. About mid-afternoon I was finally able to chat for a bit and keep him from eating his lunch! The Booth looked great and seemed to have great traffic flow!

easybuilt
03-12-2014, 01:31 AM
Nice job Bruce and a beautiful display.

Capt Bruce
03-12-2014, 11:55 AM
I thank you all for your kind comments about the booth and my displayed carvings at the Atlanta WW Show last weekend. I hope Joe Ragsdale will have equal or better success in Tampa several weeks from now. It really was inspiring to meet so many current owners like GHWIZ and WOODEN WIZARD at the show and too many others to name here. Many long term owners stopped by and want to get their unused machines up / renovated / upgraded and to begin carving again so I look forward to working with these new acquaintances and in some cases also providing a day long software/hardware training session.

“My Wife gave me the machine for Christmas years ago but it’s just sitting in my shop. How can I learn to use it?”

In addition to selling new CW-CX systems and accessories I think most START U members who have done a Show will agree this is an excellent opportunity to gain new customers for your carving services even if they are not yet ready to commit and purchase a full system. It may be for a one time gift, a proof of concept piece that will further assure them it can/cannot make what they want to produce with the CW. I was approached by a gentleman who has now commissioned me to duplicate the last remaining example of a Leica camera repair fixture block from the early 1950s. I have several invitations from Woodworking Groups that would like demonstrations and Educators that wish to bring in CWs for their shops since they are safe and tie into CNC education in general. I’ve referred the Teachers to you Connie since they need to deal with “registered firms” to make purchases. Home Depot looks like a likely vendor.

Lori, thank you for all your help getting our new owner orders entered and fulfilled.

May I suggest that all START U hosts who did a Show send your notes on Lessons Learned (Pro & Con, OOPS moments, Customer comments, display items and booth supplies) by PM or E-mail to Connie to share with our Leadership that will make the Show even more successful next year. We were also sought out by reps of the International Woodworking Fair to exhibit there when it rolls into town Aug 20-23, because our booth generated so much buzz. Connie, I have referred them to you folks in Pasadena if there is interest and any arrangements are to be made. I really appreciate everyone who contributed to making the WW Show in Atlanta a success for us and I’m looking forward to the next one.

cestout
03-14-2014, 05:14 PM
Only thing I can say is next year make sure the banner gets made.
Clint

lynnfrwd
03-14-2014, 05:21 PM
The Woodworking Show never was able to produce the custom curtain with our logo on it as planned, so we had to have one made, then it "disappeared" and we had to have a second one made.

farmer
03-25-2014, 06:16 PM
Connie is the Houston show still going to be held on Friday thur sunday?
Steve

lynnfrwd
03-26-2014, 12:39 AM
Sorry, didn't see this until now.

NO. The Houston show was canceled. Not just us, the whole event. The contract between WWS and venue fell through. They are rescheduling in the fall start of the season.

farmer
03-26-2014, 06:00 AM
Thanks Connie