PDA

View Full Version : My Corian projects

Gary Koval
10-06-2013, 11:37 AM
To all,
Please do not be offended by the Calvin peeing, I apologize if I have, it's just a requested favorite here in Northeast Ohio. The Ohio U. "OHIO" script in the logo is in dark green not black as it appears. The "Toledo" skyline is in U of T colors mid. blue and gold.
Not that it matters, but I have been using the same two bits- 60 degree and 1/16 bit for the last 3 or 4 years dedicated to only Corian projects. Replaced the motor brushes at 250hrs., have a homemade downdraft dust collection.
Gary

Digitalwoodshop
10-06-2013, 11:57 AM
Very nice work... The Paint job is fantastic... Corian looks like FUN....

AL

fwharris
10-06-2013, 12:11 PM
Gary,

Great job as usual!!!

JoeinWestMich
10-06-2013, 12:31 PM
Could you share what paint you use on Corian and if there is anything you need to do or apply in order for the paint to bond/stick better? Great work you are doing. Your painting really sets off the quality of your work. Thanks for sharing.

SharonB
10-06-2013, 01:05 PM
Wow! Those came out nice. I don't know why but I would never have thought to cut out Corian like you did with the Butterfly/Hummingbird plaque.

TerryT
10-06-2013, 01:44 PM
Those are beautiful!! Great work.

eelamb
10-06-2013, 02:36 PM
Gary some really nice work there.

Chip
10-06-2013, 04:29 PM
Those are very, very nice.

Canemaker
10-06-2013, 05:47 PM
Great job, please tell us more about your painting techniques. What type of paint do you use? Is it sprayed on, brushed on or a combination
of both? Are you doing any inlay or simply painting? Many thanks would be greatly appreciated if you wouldn't mind sharing. When I try to
hand paint it seems to take forever and therefore not cost effective. John

Capt Bruce
10-06-2013, 05:58 PM
Beautiful work on your Corian projects Gary. I really like the Steelers/Browns divided house analogy and the garden signs.

rcdages
10-07-2013, 08:16 AM
Gary,

Very good on the carvings and painting.

Gary Koval
10-07-2013, 09:36 AM
Because of some of the questions regarding painting Corian, let me share what works best for me... Let me start by saying that my paint of choice is the "Americana" brand acrylics. The little bottles. A little bit more expensive than others but at our local "JoAnn's" once a week it seems, that they have a 40% off coupon for anything in the store, so that's when I buy my colored paints. As far as whites and blacks I usually go to Walmart, or Home Depot and buy a quart of their paint, then refill my white and black bottles. I like flat black and white, they cover well.
When painting, as an example, orange seems to be transparent and would take umteem coats to cover properly. So what I have found is that most "grays" cover on the first coat and being neutral will usually go with most colors, so I mix the color I am using, in this case orange, with the gray, more color than gray, and apply the first coat. When dry, I then apply the original color by itself for a second or third coat ending up usually with the shade and coverage that I like.
I usually wait until I have about 6-10 carvings before I paint them all. Being an impatient person, what I do is go from project to project starting in the middle and working my way out with the different colors, not being to concerned about "staying within the lines" so to speak unless I am near an edge that can not be painted. The initial coats are the most important to me for coverage, I want to make sure the letters and designs are covered well. After the 1st one is done, set in front of a fan, or by the wood burning stove, depending upon the season, to start drying. I move from project to project with the initial coats. Once there all dry and coated well, out to the garage for a sanding and blowing off. Then back in for the final detail phase.
Hardest thing for me to paint- a stinking football helmet, forever on the details. The easiest of course- lettering.
Anyway, hope this helps even one person, then it'll be worth my time,
Thanks for letting me rant,
Gary

Underdog
10-07-2013, 11:27 AM
Neat projects, but don't you get hassled by the collegiate licensing board?

I've made some projects like that, but never did try to sell them... I'm under a strong impression that they frown mightily on that sort of thing if you don't have a license to market such things.

Gary Koval
10-07-2013, 01:24 PM
Underdog,
Mine are made for family members and friends, no sales involved

JoeinWestMich
10-07-2013, 02:39 PM
Thanks for the info on painting, Gary. And yes, I can say you have helped at least one person :)

chebytrk
10-09-2013, 08:27 PM
yup.... he's helped 2 persons. Thanks for the info.

Canemaker
10-09-2013, 09:08 PM
Great thought process, who'd thought of mixing colors the way you have done. This is something
that I'll do to make my projects stand out as well. Thanks for your knowledge and having to reduce
my trail and error. John

Gary Koval
10-10-2013, 12:03 PM
That's what this forum is all about- helping. And thanks for the kind words everyone...
Gary