PDA

View Full Version : how many files

aokweld101
10-04-2013, 07:35 PM
I'm starting to get a lot of files in designer is there a limit that you can have... my computer seems to be working slower.

fwharris
10-04-2013, 07:37 PM
By files are you meaning patterns? If so, yes the more patterns you have loaded into the favorites will cause designer to start slowing down.

aokweld101
10-04-2013, 07:39 PM
so than I need to get an external drive to download them in ?

fwharris
10-04-2013, 07:45 PM
so than I need to get an external drive to download them in ?

If when you downloaded or made them and saved to a location on your computer (and know that location) you can just delete them from the pattern list. With the pattern list opened up in Designer, right click the pattern and select delete. If you have not saved them to a location on your computer you can right click and export out to save them.

eelamb
10-04-2013, 07:49 PM
Are we talking about favorites file within designer, or files saved to your computer? If saved to your computer, it will not slow down your computer. If we are talking about favorites, then yes it will slow down designer (not your computer), and even crash designer, when doing things like importing, or saving to the memory card. (not sure how designer 2.x handles reading of the ptn files and thumbnails, as to slowing it down)

Edit: if you have been saving a large amount of files to your computer, and deleting large amounts of files, then a defrag may be in order. This will speed up reading files from the hard drive.

aokweld101
10-04-2013, 07:57 PM
Thank you Floyd then I need to delete them I'm getting a whole bunch in my favorites, so it won't hurt if I put them in document files?

fwharris
10-04-2013, 08:11 PM
Thank you Floyd then I need to delete them I'm getting a whole bunch in my favorites, so it won't hurt if I put them in document files?

That is where I keep all my patterns. Just make sure it is not the folder created by designer when you installed it. Create a new folder and name it something like "CarveWright patterns" or similar.