PDA

View Full Version : I need help!

jose.salinas
10-04-2013, 10:26 AM
I have a couple of projects hat I have a timeline on and my machine is acting up a bit. I have always tried to clean it properly and keep it well lubricated. But two days ago the head was not cranking level, and it resulted in it basically being stuck in a slight incline position. I read the manual on how to level the head and I was able to do it. I believe the root of the problem is the nuts that hold the head tightly allowing it to travel up and down freely, (on the LCD side) are loose. So i tried tightening them up a little and had no luck. I had to improvise with a wahser to be able to fill in the space that was stopping the screw from not moving. On top of all of this, I keep getting all kinds of different error messages. I am just overwhelmed and could really use an outside perspective. I know there are a couple of guy in the Dallas/Fort Area in Texas, any chance any of you guys could hep a fellow carver out. I am willing to talk about paying you for your time, I just need to get this repaired because I usually don't quit on stuff, but I feel like I am in way over my head here.

Proctorw
10-04-2013, 10:51 AM
I am not an expert like some of the folks here, but I have replaced a number of components. Where are you located?

lynnfrwd
10-04-2013, 11:13 AM
My suggestion is, you call LHR hardware early today, in case you need to place an order for parts we can get it in the mail. Let them help you diagnose, particularly if you are up against a deadline.

jose.salinas
10-04-2013, 11:29 AM
I am located in north Dallas right on the corner of the DNT and PGBT pm me so we can talk about addresses and details

jose.salinas
10-04-2013, 11:31 AM
I might need some parts ordered I will difinitely keep that in mind

fwharris
10-04-2013, 11:39 AM
I would do as Connie suggested. I was having the same issue with the head and what I thought was they loose jam nut on the keyboard side. After total frustration I called in and the lead tech informed me that the top nut on the keyboard side does in fact float.

bergerud
10-04-2013, 12:56 PM
I called in and the lead tech informed me that the top nut on the keyboard side does in fact float.

If that is true, it is a new on on me. I will have to check my machines.

fwharris
10-04-2013, 01:06 PM
If that is true, it is a new on on me. I will have to check my machines.

Yes it surprised me to.

bergerud
10-04-2013, 01:09 PM
I suppose it could make sense if the floating was to compensate for the backlash in the gears below. Hmm.

fwharris
10-04-2013, 01:19 PM
He did say something like that. I can not recall the exact wording so I'm not going to try to explain it.... :confused:

bergerud
10-04-2013, 02:51 PM
Well, thanks for that Floyd. I learned something important today. See the shoulder on the nut. (The right nut has no shoulder and does completely tighten.)
http://store.carvewright.com/image.php?type=P&id=23959

unitedcases
10-04-2013, 03:59 PM
I found that out recently when I had to bring a machine back to life. Subsequently we call it frankencarve. I wasnt really sure if that is how it was supposed to be or not. So I kept quiet but now I know. Thank you as well.

fwharris
10-04-2013, 06:09 PM
Well, thanks for that Floyd. I learned something important today. See the shoulder on the nut. (The right nut has no shoulder and does completely tighten.)
http://store.carvewright.com/image.php?type=P&id=23959

Dan,

Thanks for the update on this and verifying why the keyboard side does not tighten down.

So did you take it apart to verify??

bergerud
10-04-2013, 07:36 PM
I cannot verify that it is supposed to slip a little. Both my B machines seem tight. At least they do not move when cranking up and down. I will have to dig deeper before I can say for sure.

fwharris
10-04-2013, 07:41 PM
Chris Rawls was the one who gave me the info.....

ktjwilliams
10-04-2013, 07:44 PM
Hmmmmm !!!! Interesting ,, Still stuff to learn ...

Digitalwoodshop
10-04-2013, 07:44 PM
A inspection of the underside of the machine is in order... Remember to un plug the power.... We don't want to ZAP users....

The Cross Conect 45 degree gears have a screw holding them together and it sometimes gets loose letting the gears slip...

Rememeber 2 methods of checking head level.... ASKBUD's put 2 boards under the heads one on each side with a strip of paper on top of each. Tighten down the head and pull the paper... If one comes out easy... It's high....

And 2. Same setup but use a bit and Z Data to measure the touch to the wood and read the LCD.

AL

bergerud
10-04-2013, 07:58 PM
Yes it is true. I just took one apart to see. My theory about the backlash is wrong. It does not rotate much. The nut is free to "wobble" in a larger hole. I think it is so that there are no stresses when the head moves up and down. The gear mechanism at the top has to hold the end of the threaded shaft and that could cause a bind if there was no freedom. (On the other side there is no crank and there is some freedom for the top end of the threaded shaft to move.)

bergerud
10-04-2013, 08:06 PM
I believe the root of the problem is the nuts that hold the head tightly allowing it to travel up and down freely, (on the LCD side) are loose. So i tried tightening them up a little and had no luck.

Thanks Al, back to the problem!

That nut being loose is not the problem. That is the way it is supposed to be. The slight movement of it cannot result in the head being unlevel.