PDA

View Full Version : Pattern size vs workpiece

vsman79
10-02-2013, 03:59 PM
Afternoon all,
Can someone tell me how much wider the workpiece has to be than the pattern? I know I have to have at least 3.5" on either end of the length, but I have an oval pattern that measures 11" wide x 6.5" tall and my workpiece is 36" x 8 7/8" and the machine wants to scale it? Do I have to have an extra 3.5" on all four sides of the project?

Sorry about the thread title. It was supposed to say Pattern size...

lynnfrwd
10-02-2013, 04:20 PM
Make sure your ACTUAL board is bigger than your VIRTUAL board. If you say your virtual board needs to be 36 inches, your actual board cannot be measured at 35.9999 by the machine.

When asked if you wanted to STAY UNDER ROLLERS, do you say yes or no?

Yes, means your actual needs to be 7" longer than virtual.

No, means you either 1. you added the 7" into the project design (oval is 11", but virtual board is 18"+) or 2. added the 7" to the actual board length (virtual is 36" actual is 43"+) or 3. one end of your board is going to pop out from under the rollers and either do nothing, cause "snipe" or snap a 1/8" cutting bit.

Scaling can be scale project UP to fit board or scale project DOWN to fit board.

Scale UP should also give the option to CARVE THE SIZE I DESIGNED IT AT or put a smaller board in.

Scale down should also give you the option to put a bigger board in.

vsman79
10-02-2013, 04:32 PM
Thanks, my actual board is just a bit smaller than my virtual board but I thought I still had room to spare on the width. I've only done a few pieces so far, but try to always stay under the rollers and have more than enough extra room on the length. It's extra space on the width that's giving me fits, but I can adjust my pattern and virtual board dimensions to be smaller than my actual board.

Old Salt
10-02-2013, 09:13 PM
your pattern could be 12x5 set board size to 12x5 but put in a board 19x5.5 and stay under roller and center on board.

fwharris
10-02-2013, 10:38 PM
If you are carving with out a sled or jig, on the board width you should allow at least 1/2" of non carved area on each side so that the traction rollers have enough wood to press on.. more non carved area the better...

cestout
10-03-2013, 07:29 PM
I usually rip my boards 1/8" wider than called for if I am not cutting it out. For cut outs I try to leave an extra 1" - 1/2" at top and 1/2" at bottom.
Clint