PDA

View Full Version : Grease used at CarveWright

Chris77089
10-01-2013, 04:39 PM
I have had several customers ask me what grease we use here at our shop for guide post, lead screws, x-drive gear, etc. I found it for sale online and thought some of you might like to be able to purchase it.
http://www.grizzly.com/products/Armor-Plate-with-Moly-D-Multi-purpose-Grease-14-5-oz-/T23964

CarverJerry
10-02-2013, 06:58 AM
I only use "Dry Lube" on the inside of my machine. Wood chips and dust doesn't stick to it and does a really good job. I think I got my last can at Home Depot

unitedcases
10-02-2013, 08:37 AM
For all my gear boxes I use wheel bearing grease. Thanks steve. For my vertical screw posts and corner posts I brush on white lithium grease. Chain lube with moly for the flex and a regular flushing of all bearings with wd40. Dry lube for the y axis plate. If that made sense. Over 1700 on my primary machine. Its named Johnny #1 but its nickname is Hoss.

bergerud
10-02-2013, 09:00 AM
I think you should use at least some light oil in the bearings after you "flush" them with WD40. WD40 is not a lubricant. WD stands for water displacement. It is to stop rusting.

ktjwilliams
10-02-2013, 10:04 AM
Myth: WD-40 Multi-Use Product is not really a lubricant.
Fact:
While the “W-D” in WD-40 stands for Water Displacement, WD-40Multi-Use Product is a unique, special blend of lubricants. The product’s formulation also contains anti-corrosion agents and ingredients for penetration, water displacement and soil removal.

I think you should use at least some light oil in the bearings after you "flush" them with WD40. WD40 is not a lubricant. WD stands for water displacement. It is to stop rusting.

unitedcases
10-02-2013, 10:05 AM
My bad. I follow up with 3in1. Thanks for the corrections fellows.

bergerud
10-02-2013, 11:05 AM
Myth:WD-40 Multi-Use Product is not really a lubricant.
Fact:
While the “W-D” in WD-40 stands for Water Displacement, WD-40Multi-Use Product is a unique, special blend of lubricants. The product’s formulation also contains anti-corrosion agents and ingredients for penetration, water displacement and soil removal.

I stand corrected! Thanks Kevin. My experience with it, however, is that it acts mostly like a solvent. Ok if there is some grease already there. The lubricant that is in it must be only a small amount of very light oil.

Underdog
10-09-2013, 10:44 AM
WD-40 is a blend of lubricants? Yeah... like perfumed kerosene? :-D

TerryT
10-09-2013, 11:22 AM
There is no question that WD-40 does what it was designed to do. It penetrates rust and corrosion to loosen bolts, nuts, displaces moisture to prevent corrosion, cleans, etc. In more than one industry over the years I have heard that it was not designed as a long term lubricant. It evaporates fairly quickly and is not used for more than what it was designed for as far as lubrication goes. That could be wrong but there are alot of good lubricants out there that I prefer to use rather than worry about it.