PDA

View Full Version : OCT 2013 Project of the Month - The Pickle Jar Terrarium!

mtylerfl
09-30-2013, 06:55 PM
Hello,

Here is a preview of the next Project of the Month (for OCTOBER 2013)...The Pickle Jar Terrarium!
Make a cool terrarium using a 1-gallon size glass pickle jar and your CarveWright machine! I’ve had “make a terrarium project” on my ta-do list for awhile, but hesitated because I needed to find a reliable source for a “standard size” and affordable glass container. Finally, it occurred to me that a large pickle jar would make a dandy terrarium, is easily sourced and is dirt cheap...only about $5 for a gallon of pickles at the time of this writing.

The project uses just the1/8" Cutting Bit and no other bits are required.
The finished dimensions of the assembled project are about 9" round x 14" tall.

Main items you will need:
1) The Project Files (included):
• All_Rings-Topper.mpc
• Ring_Supports.mpc

2) Boards with the following dimensions:
All Rings mpc: .75" x 11" x 30.5"
Ring Supports mpc: .75" x 9" x 22"
(Do not use boards that are smaller than specified above unless using an appropriate jig.)

3) 1/8" (0.125" ) diameter dowels, a 1 gallon-size glass pickle jar, silk or real plants and whatever other misc. items you want inside the terrarium (marbles, rocks, driftwood)

4) A dowel cap, a #6 x 1" screw, sandpaper, wood glue, quick set epoxy, drill, clamps, wood stain and/or paint and clear finish

5) A Dremel-type rotary tool with assorted sanding wheels and bits to sand small details and speed up preparation for finishing.

Apply stain/paint and clearcoat of your choice.Here’s what I used on my Pickle Jar Terrarium made from Select Pine:
• Sculpt Nouveau Brass B on lid and entire frame
• Sculpt Nouveau Copper B on rosette topper
• Sculpt Nouveau Tiffany Green Patina
• Sponged on additional Brass B and Copper B after patina fully developed overnight
• Two coats of Sculpt Nouveau Smart Coat Clear Satin overall

rickyz
09-30-2013, 06:58 PM
another cool project that I can't wait to make......

mtylerfl
09-30-2013, 08:29 PM
another cool project that I can't wait to make......

Thanks, Ricky...this was one I couldn't wait to make too! (once I figured out the easy-to-find glass container!)

unitedcases
09-30-2013, 08:56 PM
So...where does the wood come in at? There is no way that stand thing is wood michael.

mtylerfl
09-30-2013, 09:10 PM
So...where does the wood come in at? There is no way that stand thing is wood michael.

Didn't you know? We can carve metal! Naah...just kiddin'. :)

I really love the Sculpt Nouveau products...maybe too much...I look for any excuse to use the stuff every chance I get!

Smoken D
10-01-2013, 08:29 AM
Yep, that is really COOL!

Bigtyme
10-01-2013, 01:44 PM
Very nice project, Michael. Another one I can't show my bride until I get a few more things done :)

dbemus
10-01-2013, 02:07 PM
Just happen to have a gallon pickle jar sitting in my basement, so I'm ready! Thanks Michael, Another great project!

lynnfrwd
10-03-2013, 04:59 PM
POM should be on it's way to an inbox near you.

Smoken D
10-03-2013, 06:06 PM
Thank you Connie, got mine this month:D

rcdages
10-04-2013, 11:49 AM
Love the POM Michael.

Love the finish.