PDA

View Full Version : Sketchup and?

James RS
02-14-2007, 07:04 PM
Hello,
Been lurking about and reading alot, and didn't realyy find an answer to this can Sketchup models be used? And what would be the easiest way to do this as in the picture.

Many Thanks,
James RS

Dan-Woodman
02-14-2007, 08:26 PM
You won't need sketchup for this.
If your referring to the bevel and the dado on this board, it sure can . The bevel feature is done right from the keypad on the machine , and the dado is done thru the software in carvewright.
The only thing I'm not sure of is if the sears machines have the same ability to do the bevals.
I done this the other day , I needed a 53 deg. bevel . Just used the keypad and it's done.
It will do the end of the board and the edges.

HandTurnedMaple
02-14-2007, 10:59 PM
There's no reason the Sears model can't do bevels. Its in the book and the keypad. I just got my 1/4" ballnose bit so I can try it, but forgot to order the adapter so I can't try it yet.

Actually I ordered a 1/16" ballnose for carving, but they sent the 1/4" by mistake. I think I will still be able to put it to use though.

James RS
02-15-2007, 06:04 AM
Thank you for the reply,I realized after I wouldn't need sketchup to do this. But could sketup projects be done,that's what i should of asked.

thanks,
Jim

BoardSilly
02-15-2007, 06:17 PM
Yes... and No. You can use Sketchup to make your own drawing to convert to a 3D model, but you have to stay within the confines of a 2-2.5 axis world. For instance, while you could draw a model in Sketchup that has a curved surface, when you convert the drawing to a .bmp or .jpeg you would probably lose that. CW does not read any formats, yet, that can contain tool path information of that sort. Such as a DXF, RLF, ART, or G code can contain. These types of files can contain the actual X-Y-Z information.

rgant05
02-16-2007, 01:12 AM
I may be reading more into the question than what is intended, but I think I understand what you are asking. I think the proper answer to what you are asking is that no, a sketch up can not be used to do that particular project. The designer program is designed to allow you to do that and many complex projects without a sketch up. In other words you use the Designer to do the sketch up, but in the process you actually have what is needed to upload to the machine to actually do the work. Yes, the machine can do that, but no you can't take a sketch up such as that and convert it to a useable form. (you have to actually create it in designer) However as eluded to in one of the answers, you can use a program such as Corel Draw or others and sketch detailed objects and apply gradient fills etc to be imported and used within a project, but it is not as simple as applying a "3D" effect such as emboss in photoshop. 3D effects make the object appear to be 3d with the illusion of light and shading but that is not what is needed in Designer. In looking through the forum you will find examples of various grayscale vector images as is needed by the Designer in order to produce the 3 dimensional effects on the carver. Hope this answer didn't complicate that matter further.

Roger

James RS
02-16-2007, 05:59 AM
Thanks Boardsilly and Roger,
That's the answer I was looking for was in Roger's explaination.

Jim

ACE001
04-06-2007, 01:25 PM
You can't use the sketchup model file as an import as of yet, but that would be ideal for most as the program is easy and free for non-commercial use.
This being said, you can build a model in sketchup, view it in grayscale, in a non perspective view without edges on, and export it as a 2D graphic. This graphic can then be imported into CW and used. I did a quick example of a frame with two cylinders in it to test this out, which I will attach.

Carvewright would make this machine extremely popular if it opened it up to the import of sketchup and other 3D model files. As an architect, I work primarily in 3D programs and my intention with this machine is to build architectural models. With an import feature, this would be so simple. Perhaps if this program was open source, development and capabilities could grow broader more quickly.

ACE001
04-06-2007, 01:32 PM
here's the image.

Also when doing the model in sketchup set the background to black or transparent.