PDA

View Full Version : Bits ... again ... a bit of a rant ...

Ron Smith
02-14-2007, 04:39 PM
I ordered two carving bits and two straight bits on January 18th this year. I knew there was a backlog, so I was determined I was going to be patient. The past service from these folks has warranted it in my opinion. However, since then, I called two weeks ago and was told the bits were in and staged, ready to ship and that my name was close to the top of the list. The good news was that I should have them in a couple of days and could finish the project I had started over two weeks ago. Wrong. I waited a week and called again last Thursday. Again, I was told they were packaged and ready to ship and, guess what, my name is close to the top and I should get them in a couple of days. Wrong again. I called today and asked them to check for me again. I was told by Sales that "all of the ladies are on the phone, but I will have one call you when they are available". I waited for hours and no return phone call. Finally I called and spoke to one of the ladies (I won't mention her name here) and asked her to please check on my order. The answer came back "we are out of the carving and straight bits at this time. More are due in. Your name is close to the top and should be shipping soon. You might want to allow at least two weeks and call again". H-m-m-m ... all I expect is an honest answer. I've waited four weeks and am being told now it will be six. It wouldn't have upset me if they would have been forthright in the first place and said it will be six to eight weeks before we can fill your order. I have been one of the staunch supporters of these folks to everyone I talk to, but this doesn't bode well for their support staff in my eyes. Okay, I'm done for now. As much fun as I've had with this machine and the great support for servicing, I hate to see the sales group fall short of the high standards I've seen before.

Ron

FdxGuy
02-14-2007, 04:58 PM
[quote="Ron Smith"]I ordered two carving bits and two straight bits on January 18th this year.

Shoot, I'm sunk then. I ordered my bits in mid Feb...

Are they lying to you? Well, sort of, if they went to look at where exactly everyone who called was on the list, I suspect they would do little else and no one would get their bits. So it's a nicer way to say-- "quit bothering us, we are shipping as fast as we fricking can."

I hope you get your bits soon, but I am curious, have you experimented with any substitutes? I am going to have to. I found some Bosch bits that look almost exactly right. But without having an original to compare it to, I cannot know.

If you go out seeking only evil in men, then you will surely find it.

All men are evil, some are just forgiven... ;-)

crawls
02-14-2007, 06:18 PM
Mr. Smith,

I know you have been staunch supporter of the CarveWright system and for that I thank you. And I apologize for the trouble you’ve had in getting the bits you ordered. However, I must defend the ladies answering the phones. They did not lie to you, mislead you, or maliciously skip over you. They have been in a very difficult situation and have done the best they could. When asked questions, they come ask one of the senior CarveWright staffers for the answer. The answer you were given was more than likely relayed from myself. And that answer was based on information that I had at the time.

Unfortunately, CarveWright has encountered rather severe growing pains. From moving locations, to phones, venders, and replacement parts, not one has gone smoothly. In your case, we placed a PO for 1000 bits. We received 200. We placed orders for 2000 bit adapters. We received 400. This is not an excuse, but an explanation of where the supply chain is breaking down. These problems, like any other, will be worked through. We are putting practices in place to ensure orders are handled in the order they are received. Inventory is better tracked, and we’re getting some idea of the amount of inventory needed to keep up with demand. We are still fighting AT&T, and have been told it will be March 31 before the phones are converted and added. Most of the day, it takes me 3-4 tries to get an outside line. Again, these are not excuses, just information.

In the end, it is incumbent upon us to provide the best customer support possible. The ladies answering the phone are doing just that under very trying circumstances. So, I ask everyone to cut them a little slack. Most of your anger and frustration should be directed at one, or more, of the senior CarveWright staff. We are the ones who designed the machines, wrote the software, set up the manufacturing, and set up the procedures for dealing with support. It is with us that you have the beef. So play nice.

Thank you for your support

Ron Smith
02-14-2007, 10:08 PM
Most of your anger and frustration should be directed at one, or more, of the senior CarveWright staff. We are the ones who designed the machines, wrote the software, set up the manufacturing, and set up the procedures for dealing with support. It is with us that you have the beef. So play nice.

Thank you for your support

Chris,
I try to always play nice and I'm not angry with anyone, just frustrated with not being quoted a legitimate time frame. I recommend this machine in my Business Networking Group almost every meeting by showing projects I have completed. I know three people buying this machine just on my say-so. I understand the ladies answering the phones are merely messengers and have no issues with the way they do their jobs. I fully expect the service to be as great as ever when the bit supply catches up with the demand. I apologize if I gave anyone the wrong impression. The CarveWright machine is a great piece of equipment and I think it should be in every woodworker's shop, just like a lathe or other specialty piece. This issue is finished as far as I am concerned now that I know why and how long the wait may be.

The Bard
02-15-2007, 12:46 AM
and the 100 board sensors we ordered and got 10 :?

crawls
02-15-2007, 09:36 AM
Mr. Smith,

The statement you quoted was not even remotely directed at you. I know you were just venting your frustration at the situation. That statement was directed to the large forum base in general. The ladies up front have taken a lot of unjust heat lately. Most of the time the customers are just frustrated with not being able to get through, long lead times and our inability to get an outside line to call customers back (thanks AT&T). And those calls are completely understandable and not a problem. But then there are some calls that are just over the top and down right hateful. Those are the ones I have a problem with. Unfortunately, there has been a rash of those lately, and that is what prompted me to post more than anything. Not anything you wrote, and sorry for dumping that on your post.

Thanks again and happy carving.

forqnc
02-15-2007, 01:26 PM
I ordered some carving bits and cutting bits, plus some adapters 2 weeks ago. I called yesterday and was told they are having phone and credit card problems. I am so amazed with the machine Ill have the patience to wait. It gives me more time to figure out things. Oh and I have always gotten through the twice I have called and found the ladies I talked to very nice and sincere.

On a different note, I brought my machine to work to show some colleages, and I think a few more sales may be coming your way. Do I get commision 8) :D

Skippy
02-15-2007, 04:40 PM
I think CarveWright should take the next shipment of machines destined for Sears and use them for spare parts. I haven't completed one project, burned up cut motor cover switch and cut motor speed sensor. Got an email from DHL on Feb 9th with tracking #, according to the tracking # it is still at yhe shippers door(NO PARTS). :evil:

ohpez
02-25-2007, 04:02 PM
So are the carving bits available for shipment now? If not, is there a suitable substitute that I can find elsewhere? My carving bit plunged about a quarter inch into the wood during a carve and broke. As neat as the machine was for a few days, I'm not really willing to have it sit useless for an extended time waiting for a replacement part.

Aaron B
02-25-2007, 07:47 PM
So are the carving bits available for shipment now? If not, is there a suitable substitute that I can find elsewhere? My carving bit plunged about a quarter inch into the wood during a carve and broke. As neat as the machine was for a few days, I'm not really willing to have it sit useless for an extended time waiting for a replacement part.

TRY THIS AT YOUR OWN RISK
I went a bought this picture you see below. Its a RotoZip 1/4" bit adapter. The part number is CH01. I bought one and some 1/8" bits and it worked. The adapter fits into the collet then the 1/8" bit fits into the adapter. One thing I noticed is that the bit is really long and the first time I put it in the machine it was so long it was messing with the sensors. So I just had to shove it up into the adapter/collet more so it didn't stick down so far.

Its not an approved bit, but it did work for me. I did break one of the Rotozip bits but when you can buy 5 of them for $6-$7 dollars I didn't care. Plus when it broke it didn't mess up my carving so I just let it start over and all went well.

Again, this is what I did to get me buy because I placed an order in the middle of January and still have NOT seen my new 1/8" cutting bit.

I do not endorse doing this and if something happens I take no responsibility, it just an option I found.

Ron Smith
02-25-2007, 07:55 PM
Again, this is what I did to get me buy because I placed an order in the middle of January and still have NOT seen my new 1/8" cutting bit.

I ordered mine on the 18th of January and was told week before last to wait at least two more weeks before I called again to check. I guess I'll call again in March. I have bought some of these other bits to try. Thanks.

Digitalwoodshop
02-25-2007, 08:04 PM
I have a bunch of the 1/4 adaptor to 1/8 inch bits from another project. My fear was how fast it would come flying out of the unit when it broke. (No faster than my hand held router)

I still might try them.... The plastic cover should slow them down.

I saw a picture of a broken router bit, stuck in someone's safety glasses.

As for the 6 inch long rotary engraver bits I WAS going to try, I am getting a used Rotary Engraver from my Laser Buddy.

They are dealing with Customs too with the bits and adaptors.

I have a $600.00 bit order in the system...

AL

HighTechOkie
02-25-2007, 09:53 PM
Geez Al, now adding a rotary engraver to the mix. You are getting quite a collections of cool toys.

As for the RotoZip style bits, I'd recommend looking at their XBits (http://www.rotozip.com/Shop/CategorySubBrowse.htm?IID=66587&HID=188064&BID=18) line. These are 5/32" diameter, but the XB-UL1 Underlayment bit($14.97 at Home Depot) and XB-LF1 Laminate floor bit are both carbide and hold up better. I'll pick up a chuck adapter and have it machined to 5/32" and see what happens.

Rob

edzbaker
02-26-2007, 07:09 AM
Keep in mind that the Carvwright software is expecting a 1/8 bit for "Cut outs" and therefore leaves the "Tab" to hold the piece in place. (This stops the bit from slinging the piece that is cut out) Anything OVER 1/8 will reduce the size of the tab accordingly, and could lead to a problem. Expect the un-expected.

Aaron B
02-26-2007, 09:37 AM
Keep in mind that the Carvwright software is expecting a 1/8 bit for "Cut outs" and therefore leaves the "Tab" to hold the piece in place. (This stops the bit from slinging the piece that is cut out) Anything OVER 1/8 will reduce the size of the tab accordingly, and could lead to a problem. Expect the un-expected.

That was the exact reason I went with the 1/8" bit. I didn't want to weaken the tab anymore that it already is. I have had tabs break out before the carving was done when I was experimenting and it was not good. I knows it on 1/32" but its 1/32" on each side of the tab so that 1/16" loss could be an issue.

HighTechOkie
02-26-2007, 10:19 AM
It is only 1/32" total extra material removed, as the bit would only cut an extra 1/64" from center of the bit to the edge. I do understand what you are saying though, and it might be necessary to add a few tabs manually.

A Rotozip motor is 3/4HP, 30k rpm max vs the CW's 1HP, 20k rpm motor. My thinking is the 5/32" carbide bits would hold up better to the increased stress on the bit than what it was designed for.

Of course the ideal solution would be an 1/8" carbide bit....maybe even stocked by CarveWright and shipped within 1-2days of ordering :D Since their current supplier is not capable or not willing to supply them with the quantity needed, the responsible thing would be to find a new supplier.

Rob

Aaron B
02-26-2007, 12:36 PM
Of course the ideal solution would be an 1/8" carbide bit....maybe even stocked by CarveWright and shipped within 1-2days of ordering :D Since their current supplier is not capable or not willing to supply them with the quantity needed, the responsible thing would be to find a new supplier.

Rob

Always wondered why they didn't have a stock pile of those bits.

Ropdoc
02-26-2007, 03:04 PM
I am not sure why we can not use our own bits. I have not been home long enough to unpack the machine to see what the collet looks like. I have Router bits, but we can I not use them here?

Dave

CallNeg151
02-26-2007, 03:17 PM
I am not sure why we can not use our own bits. I have not been home long enough to unpack the machine to see what the collet looks like. I have Router bits, but we can I not use them here?

Dave

You can use your own bits, BUT there are some limitations.

1. All bits MUST be plungeable. If it is not, the CarveWright will damage itself trying to plunge it into the wood.

2. All bits must have the same size and shape as the expected bit. The designer software is programmed to control bits of a certain shape and size. This includes setting the amount of material that is removed in a pass, feed rate, etc., as well as allowing the designer to correctly display your pattern.

3. All bits must be able to carve at the set RPMs of the CarveWright. Carbide router bits should have no problems, but the sharpness, size, and shape of the bit are still issues.

A search of the forum will reveal people that have successfully used their own bits. You will need to provide the correct adaptor.

Good luck!

ohpez
02-26-2007, 03:59 PM
I'll try the adapter and bits- Thanks for the advice. I have a project for my wife's business that we were going to do in wood and can't wait a month for replacement bits. A quick look at Google shows companies that make custom bits in the United States, maybe CW should consider ordering from one of them to help alleviate the importing problems.

Gman_Ind
02-26-2007, 06:04 PM
I just orderered a compucarve and after reading these posts I think I should get some more bits coming ASAP. What are the dimensions of the factory shank, length and cutting Dia.? I know a tool maker and he might have a source to buy the correct bits or is a collet adapter possible.

woodfish510
02-27-2007, 03:27 PM
Hi all:
I'm new to the forum, just got my machine.

Anyway much talk about bits, has anyone checked out the magnate.net site?
They use a lot of plunge type bits for the Legacy mill.

Just my two cents.....

Dave

Dartman
02-27-2007, 03:53 PM
I just orderered a compucarve and after reading these posts I think I should get some more bits coming ASAP.

You might consider waiting until you get the machine and make sure it functions correctly first by running some projects. I was about to order a bit set and then the board sensor went out so I'd rather wait for the replacement part and make sure I have a machine that functions correctly and consistently before investing in additional bits.

Dan-Woodman
02-27-2007, 05:13 PM
Just a positive note , the carving bits are really good that come with the machine .
I don't know of anyone who has wore them out . Only if the machine malfuchtions or operator error do they break.
I have over 90 hrs. and still on orignal carving bit.

Gman_Ind
02-27-2007, 05:13 PM
You might consider waiting until you get the machine and make sure it functions correctly first by running some projects. I was about to order a bit set and then the board sensor went out so I'd rather wait for the replacement part and make sure I have a machine that functions correctly and consistently before investing in additional bits.
irregardless of the state of the machine when it arrives I will get it working (with the info on this board and Carewright staff) and Will put into use as soon as I get up to speed with it. The Mrs paid for it and I promised the first useful items from it will be her carved pulls for her dresser all 18 of them. Then I have to make 6 matching knobs and a unique crown molding.

Dartman
02-27-2007, 07:04 PM
I guess if the Mrs was paying I wouldn't worry about it then.

Gary
02-27-2007, 10:19 PM
I got an email a month ago that my bit set was in, but I never received them. It turns out the bit adapters aren't available, so the bits aren't shipping yet... I did get the probe, though. Haven't had a chance to try it yet...

Gary

Gman_Ind
03-20-2007, 04:12 PM
I recieved the bits timely enough. Before the first CC came in. the probe is back ordered. Waiting on #2 CC from Sears.

forqnc
03-21-2007, 07:26 AM
I got a phone call Monday regarding bits I ordered Feb 14th, so hopefully they will be coming soon.

Mike
03-21-2007, 09:31 AM
It's probably better to plan ahead (for bits) with this machine. I had to wait longer than I wanted for my bits but they did ship them the same day that they got them. having just one of each bit is living kind of dangerously. I looked at the roto-zip bits at Sears. They look close to the cw ones but I don't think I would try carving with them.

oldjoe
03-21-2007, 12:01 PM
I have not received my machine yet but I have been reading about the problem with the time it takes to get bits. I am not sure what the bits look like but I was wondering if there is a machinest in the group if an end mill will work they come in small sizes, made of solid carbide TiN coated ball ends. 4 flutes. Not sure if they would work but just a thought.
Gotta run.

RC Woodworks
03-21-2007, 07:32 PM
PriceCutters carries a variety of bits that work fine in the CC. www.pricecutter.com and their sister company www.eagleamerica.com

Kenm810
03-21-2007, 07:54 PM
QUOTE -PriceCutters carries a variety of bits that work fine in the CC.
www.pricecutter.com (http://www.pricecutter.com/) and their sister company www.eagleamerica.com (http://www.eagleamerica.com)

My wife glanced over my shoulder as I gleefully look at the two sites you just posted,
turns and mutters as she walks out of my Den " More Toy Stores"

Thanks RC

RC Woodworks
03-21-2007, 08:02 PM
LOL good thing I didn't say anything about www.mlcwoodworking.com or www.rockler.com and www.woodcraft.com!

Opps I did!!!

Kenm810
03-21-2007, 08:11 PM
RC,

Barb probably heard me chuckling to myself just know,
I’m waiting for a smack up side the head any minute now,
with instructions to pass it on!

Thanks

RC Woodworks
03-21-2007, 08:22 PM
LOL ouch not so hard I have a soft head!!!

forqnc
03-22-2007, 07:22 AM
I got a phone call Monday regarding bits I ordered Feb 14th, so hopefully they will be coming soon.

Bits where waiting for me last night when I got Home :)
One thing I will say is, even though my order was back in february, CW DID NOT bill my credit card until Monday when they sent them. They could have sat on my money gaining interest for them for almost 1.5 months.

jchilli
03-22-2007, 03:58 PM
Glad to hear you got your bits , and you ordered them in February. I have had an order on the books since Jan 10,07 and do not receive any notification accept, "you are next on the list when our huge shipment comes in."This answer is what I get every time I ask.
I truely am glad there is some hope out there for the rest of us as you have received a set of bits now. Keep your cc/cw running.;)

Gary
03-22-2007, 09:09 PM
I've had the entire bit set on order since end of Jan. I also ordered extra carving bits and the probe at the same time. I got my probe 3 weeks ago, and the extra carving bits 2 weeks ago, but no set of vector carving bits. When I heard others had received theirs, I emailed Deidre, and my phone rang 20 minutes later to tell me I was still in line to receive the bits, but the holders still weren't in from China. No idea yet when I'll get my goods, but it was reassuring to get the phone call........It looks like they got their phone and email system up to speed??

Gary

I hope Michigan is thawing out, I need to get back there for a visit........maybe some mushrooms??

rgant05
03-22-2007, 11:42 PM
Gary,
I ordered mine in Jan also, and just for some encouragement, talked with them earlier this week and they said they had more ready to go and that mine should go out any day (probably Monday). Of course, they sounded possitive 2 or 3 weeks ago too LOL. I'm sure they are doing the best they can. Importing is not a piece of cake. We ought to get used to it though, since this country is rapidly giving up all control of our manufacturing abilities. Its cheaper now, but just like a baloon payment loan, we will pay big time down the line. Anyway, bits should be forthcoming according to the last word this week.

Gman_Ind
03-26-2007, 02:19 PM
my bits came in before machine #1 so the lead time must be reducing. at least that shipment anyway.
Michigan is thawed in the southern parts but still frozen in the UP, BTW best time for mushrooms is mothers day weekend, shh its a secret.

beaverw
03-28-2007, 06:40 PM
Boy, do you guys have a long wait!

I ordered a complete bit set on January 2nd. You guessed it! Almost four full months later and I still don't have mine.

I can't understand why, in four months, this company hasn't qualified a new supplier. This is ridiculous.

I loved this machine when I received it, and was able to run a few simple projects with some work-arounds due to not having a complete bit set, but I don't think this company is going to be in business very long due to the poor business decisions they are making. Then where will we all be with no support or spare parts.

Jeff_Birt
03-28-2007, 08:39 PM
I can't understand why, in four months, this company hasn't qualified a new supplier. This is ridiculous.

What makes you think they are ignorant of the need for a more reliable supply? It's a rhetorical question, designed to provoke thought...

rjp736
03-28-2007, 09:11 PM
Here's a thought, take China out of the picture. I've been told for three weeks now that my part was coming from China, they have NO idea when it's going to arrive. They keep telling me they are getting a shipment and when it comes the part is never in the mix. How can you not know what is being shipped???

rgant05
03-28-2007, 09:14 PM
Easy, when you get shippments from overseas, you know what you have ordered, and have to wait until it arrives to see what you are getting. Not excusing the process just have seen it before.

rjp736
03-28-2007, 09:16 PM
Still don't know why they don't keep things in the U.S. My wife deals with the overseas crap and says it's not that big of a savings as people think.

pkunk
03-28-2007, 09:18 PM
All this anger will get you nothing but high blood pressure and the ire of others.
Peace :cool:

pkunk
03-28-2007, 09:19 PM
Still don't know why they don't keep things in the U.S. My wife deals with the overseas crap and says it's not that big of a savings as people think.
They're trying, relax.:rolleyes:

rjp736
03-28-2007, 09:19 PM
Too late. I'm watching my machine collect the wrong kinda dust with all this down time for one part. This my first and hope my only problem with the machine. Been waiting 3 weeks.

forqnc
03-29-2007, 05:03 PM
Just got home to find my 1/2" adapter bits have arrived, good luck to all who are still waiting and I hope they arrive soon.