PDA

View Full Version : 1/8" bit slipping in the Rock Chuck

TurtleCove
09-26-2013, 01:30 PM
I know others must be running into this, but I couldn't find a dialog on it when I searched.

I'm having problems with the 1/8" collet holding my 1/8" cutting bit, when cutting, and ruining a lot of patterns.
I tried a 1/4" - 1/8" sleeve, to put the cutting bit into the 1/4" collet, to no avail either.

Any suggestions?

The only thing I can think to try next, is to try smaller bites, as it cuts.
I'm cutting Red Cedar.

dbfletcher
09-26-2013, 01:46 PM
Are you using Ron's inserts? You have to make sure that the slits in the insert is perpendicular to the head of the locking bolt. I have never had a bit slip in my Rocks (or if it did it wasn't noticeable enough to alter the carve.) I know there should be pictures on the forum that demonstrate how the sleeve needs to be positioned for correct clamping in the rock. I'll look tonight if you don't find the images before that.

TurtleCove
09-26-2013, 02:02 PM
I didn't know this, Doug.
so, the slit, needs to go in the center of the locking nut?
And, if I use a sleeve to adapt the 1/8" to 1/4", should I line both slits up?

dbfletcher
09-26-2013, 02:12 PM
Here is one of the posts with illustrations.

http://forum.carvewright.com/showthread.php?17162-Rock-Chuck-Bit-alignment-and-length&highlight=rock+alignment

As far as a sleeve in a sleeve.... im not 100% sure, bit I would think you would want to align the slits. What size rock to you have? I just have a separate sleeve for each shaft size (1/2 to : 5/16, 1/4, 1/8)

TurtleCove
09-26-2013, 05:56 PM
My rock takes a 1/2" bit, when not using any sleeve, Doug.

dbfletcher
09-26-2013, 06:01 PM
well.. as I said, i have never tried a sleeve in a sleeve as I have one sleeve to go from 1/2 to whatever shank size I'm using. Ron should have them all his website.

bergerud
09-26-2013, 06:29 PM
I do not think a sleeve in a sleeve is very effective. Even if you get the splits lined up, the squeeze on the smooth carbide will likely not be good enough when that shrill vibration occurs. The bit will walk out. There may be another option. Use Loctite. I used to use make 1/8 to 1/4 adapters (no slit) and Loctite the 1/8 shanks into the hole (leave overnight). I could not even punch the bits out the next day. They required the heat of a propane torch to get them back out. I never had one slip.

Or, you could get an ER11 adapter!

Digitalwoodshop
09-26-2013, 08:46 PM
I think Ron has the 1/8th inch Rock end that screws on the upper piece.... I would got one....

AL

CarverJerry
09-28-2013, 05:14 PM
An old trick that we used to use in the machine shop when a tool was just being stubborn was to use chalk on the tool, this would help give the tool a little extra grip inside a collet. I always kept a piece of chalk (like your teachers used on the blackboards) in my tool box.