PDA

View Full Version : Just got my CompuCarver but...

Idioteyes
02-14-2007, 03:43 PM
Hey all thank u for taking the time to read this posting. I just got my new compucarve today. I brought it home and ran thur the Operator's Manual on the "Unpacking and Setting Up the CompuCarve'. I have finished all of that and thought that I would have the Machine Measure a board to verify that the X and Y Board Sensor's where working correctly. I have seen on this forum that the Board Sensor's seem to be a point of endless problems.
What happened is that the Y Axis Sensor work's correctly and measured the board's width just fine. However, when I had the system try and measure the X Axis or the lenght of the board I got the following message:
Check Front Roller Stuck Enter=Cont. Stop=Abort

Trouble Shooting
- I restarted the unit 3 or 4 times.
- I try'd to measure 3 or 4 different board's lenght.
- Checked in Compucarve Trouble shooting, for anything that might help.
- Called Carvewright and am waiting for call back.

So at this point I am hoping that one of forum poeple out here may have an idea of what to try next. It does not give an Error code that I can search by. I have also tried to search the forum for "Check Front Roller Stuck". The search results are, well, unrelated as far as I can see.

Greybeard
02-14-2007, 03:49 PM
There was a post in the last ten days I think, that mentioned a roller being stuck, although that wasn't the prime reason for the thread, more of a comment in the body of the posting. I'll start searching as well.
Regards
John

Jeff_Birt
02-14-2007, 03:57 PM
There is a little brass roller, with a black rubber o-ring on it, in the bottom-front-center of the machine. This is the sensor that measures travel in the X direction. It should depress slightly when you press on it and then spring back up. When you load a board into the machine it MUST be placed squarly againt the long black plate above this roller (the 'Squaring Plate') and MUST be in contact with the brass roller. There should be no board defect in this area as that will cause problems with the sensor.

Greybeard
02-14-2007, 03:59 PM
Thread was "Cannot measure board" by Greg. Posting by pine acres workshop, Feb 8th.
I hope it helps.

John

The Bard
02-14-2007, 03:59 PM
could also be a pressure issue.

place a bathroom scale under the rollers. We're looking for 75-85 pounds of pressure.

pine acres woodshop
02-14-2007, 04:14 PM
Mine was the back roller and was caused by me blowing out the machine with the rollers compressed, The issue you are having is the same as the one that Greg posted, fresh out of the box it wouldn't measure a board, he stated he located his problem and it was that the sensor was unpluged, I don't know myself where the sensor is located, but it should be right around the roller. Hope this helps.

Mark

Idioteyes
02-14-2007, 04:19 PM
Well Ok, thank u all for the help. I'm headed out to the shop so see if I can resolve this issue. I will keep u all up to date.

Idioteyes
02-14-2007, 05:25 PM
Well after reading all the threads listed above....

- I started by access the one half of the X Axis switch from under the unit. You have to remove about 12 screws, there is a set of 4 small thin black wires that come into the unit close to the sensor and plug into a connection with about 8 other wires into a circuit board just below the entrance point. The switch side I accessed by removing 2 screws inside the unit itself on the top of the Squaring Plate. U can remove them and turn the plate upright. There is not much to see there, other then making sure nothing is damaged or out of whack.

- I also checked to make sure that the X Axis Sensor was able to be pressed down by the board, not to low for some reason. I used extra wide straight edge across the sand paper drive belts, and on top of the brass sensor itself, it was working also functioning correctly.

- I also tested the clamping press of the unit, it was almost 80 pounds.

So I'm left with an almost $2K desktop paper weight at this point, but it is new. The other interesting thing I didn't find the whole time I was taking apart or even working on this machine. Was any Quality Control markers, No Stamp from line checks, No markings at all that make me believe it was ever tested or even turned on before I recieved it. I find it very hard to believe that this is posible but, see is believing. I also noticed several cable connection while I had the bottom off. These connection where the connection point to the circuit boards and there was nothing holding them into the unit itself. Normally I would expect to see then silcon'd in place, some of the connection had them, but not all. Please understand that I am not un happy with the unit, these are just things that I noticed while working with the unit.

I have also have been waiting for CarveWright to call me back now for almost 6 hours.

So at this point not knowning if Carvewright will call back, I'm going to start with the Return of the unit to Sears.

The Bard
02-14-2007, 05:39 PM
sorry we couldn't help you with your problem.

pine acres woodshop
02-14-2007, 05:48 PM
I might be mistaken but I believe the sensor should be above the front roller , the brass piece between the two drive belts is for measuring the length of the board and to keep track of the boards location, check to see if there is a sensor above the front roller on the LED side. That would be my guess. Good luck.

Don't give up this machine is great!

Mark

Idioteyes
02-14-2007, 05:58 PM
No I never give up, it's all about the adventure and knowledge gained from the adventure that make life worth living. I will get a replacement and I hope, this one will be a winner.

edzbaker
02-14-2007, 06:12 PM
Hey Bard,, I'm no pro here,, but idioteyes didn't mention updating the firmware. Could this posibly cause theproblem ? Just wondering.

Idioteyes
02-14-2007, 08:26 PM
Ok, we are talking about Firmware for the CarveWright Machine here. I just looked out on CarveWright's web site and cant find anywhere to download the firmware from. So what at I missing here ?

menewfy
02-14-2007, 08:39 PM
ok so go into the designer software click on help and there is an option for updates.

edzbaker
02-14-2007, 08:46 PM
The Firmware that controls the CW machine is on the memory card. The firmware is a part of the Designer program. Just make sure you are using the latest version. I got my CW a few weeks back and the CD had an older version on it, so I had to upgrade. (Actually I downloaded the new version from the CW site, then activated it.)
I don't know if it will help, but some of the later versions have fixed bugs in measurment functions. I wouldn't hurt.

Jeff_Birt
02-14-2007, 08:51 PM
Turn the machien on, press '0' then '7', this takes you to the sensor check menu. From here you can test all the sensors with taking anything apart, by scrollling to the correct screen If you press up on each pressure roller you should here a click and the reading should change. Try this and see what you find out.

And, don't dispair, the CW technical guys are tops. They will get you fixed up.

lbirdwell
04-01-2007, 06:10 PM
I just got my machine from Sears and had the same problem with the Front Roller Stuck message. After reading a few of the post here, this is what I did.

1. Put a scale under the rollers and cranked 'em down (85lbs)

2. Right after turning it on, I pressed 0 then 7 for the sensor menu. Went through that as best I could. Here I found that the front roller sensor was not changing value when I would raise and lower the rollers on a piece of wood.

3. I raised the rollers and tried pressing on them from below. On the rear roller, I could hear a micro switch "click". On the front roller, nothing. Soooo, I pressed a little harder on the front roller and walla, finally got a "click". After doing that, I was able to activate the front roller switch with the same pressure as the rear roller. (Note I was pressing on the end of the roller nearest the control panel.

4. Ran my project again and walla, everything worked and I now have my first cutout. Wunderbaugh!!! The piece turned out terrible, but I am figuring it was something I did wrong. I used the dragon project from the download area. The piece I cut out seems to have a dragon there, but very poor detail and lots of "flat" wood around the dragon image where the bit did not cut anything. I used the "normal" quality.

One thing I did notice that after selecting "center on board", the measuring process was PAINFULLY slow. It worked it's way to the right (font) end of the board eventually, but it was creeping at a VERY slow speed.

rjp736
04-01-2007, 07:06 PM
I've had that happen too. Every once in awhile it will move slower than normal.....can't tell you why. Do you have the guide bar to tight against the board?

Dan-Woodman
04-01-2007, 07:37 PM
I noticed mine creeping real slow after I uploaed 1.12.
But , now after a year of running great, I had to send it in for z-axis stall error 246

Jeff_Birt
04-01-2007, 08:42 PM
As I recall (Of course I forgot to make a note of it) it does the slow-mo when measuring if you ask it to center the project on the board. If you choose place on corner it does not. Can someone else try to verify this?

davidwhill
05-17-2007, 04:53 PM
I just received my CC and when I went to measure I also had the "Check Front Roller Stuck" message. After reading this thread I messed around with the roller only to find I was missing that click from the switch. I also spotted a red wire running to the end of the roller and messed around with a little and I got my click. Everything is working great!

Thanks for all your help.

custom_movies
06-09-2007, 12:02 AM
just got carvewright to day and it will not mesure board help front roller

ljdm
06-09-2007, 07:19 AM
My problem with board measurement was due to the board being more than 1/16" wider at one end than the other, causing the board not to move properly to be measured. You mentioned lack of quailty checks - my machine had 20 minutes logged on it - not cut time, motor time. Other than that it looked BRAND new, possibly they run it to check basic functions?