PDA

View Full Version : 30 degree bit

rmock
09-25-2013, 08:03 AM
Is it possible to use a 30 in centerline to achive a clean small font?

dbfletcher
09-25-2013, 08:08 AM
yes.. I have used these before with good results.

http://www.amazon.com/Carbide-Engraving-Uncoated-Diameter-Overall/dp/B00746V5MA/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1380114408&sr=8-5&keywords=carbide+engraving

I have carved legible text smaller than 1/4" high.

DickB
09-25-2013, 08:09 AM
Generally, I would say no. The cut paths are calculated based on the bit selected. If you select 60 degree but use a 30 degree, each cut is going to produce a narrower line than if you used the 60 degree bit. This will in many if not most cases distort the characters.

DocWheeler
09-25-2013, 04:19 PM
As Doug stated, yes you can use a smaller "V" bit to create smaller text.

I have used a 22 degree bit, but at that point, the size of the wood-grain gets important for good results.

Digitalwoodshop
09-26-2013, 09:21 PM
If the text is designed in V90 and a V60 is used a "I" would have a Y top and a inverted Y bottom that is easily seen. I think under a magnifying glass the 30 and 22 degree may resemble the "Y"'s but not be able to be seen in small text.

Another option is same 30 or 22 degree bit using a V60 in designer but use a single stroke font in outline mode.....

A little on the expensive side... The End Mill I use for cutting tags started life as a 6 inch long 1/4 inch shaft bit. I cut it in half with my Chain Saw Chain Grinder. Johnson Plastics and many other vendors sell the 6 inch long bits for Engraving machines like my Star 912. They make a 1/4 and 1/2 cutter designed to clean cut plastic. I have wanted to try one on some small text but have not had the time... Might give you a better finer text... The BUMMER I see is the Force that the bit touches the Bit Plate could make for short life of the fine tip... You may need to put a hard plastic insert on the metal bit late...

http://www.johnsonplastics.com/engraversbible/cutters.html

AL