PDA

View Full Version : Carve Region

campy76
09-24-2013, 10:20 PM
Hello,
Is there any way/trick to get the default bit to change in the carve region? I need it to be the 3/8" straight bit, but can figure out how to do it.
Jon Campanella

fwharris
09-24-2013, 11:24 PM
The only options for bit selection on a carve region or any raster carve are the 1/16, 1/8 and 3/16" bits. If you need/want to use the 3/8" bit then you will need to set up a "pocket cut" using vector lines for the cut paths. Here is a link to the tips and tricks on that subject http://www.carvewright.com/support-page/getting-started/tutorials/pocketcuts

campy76
09-28-2013, 07:09 AM
That information just reduced the carving time from 4 hours to 45 minutes!!!

fwharris
09-28-2013, 10:29 AM
That information just reduced the carving time from 4 hours to 45 minutes!!!

I would say that is a great time saver!!!

Digitalwoodshop
09-28-2013, 10:44 AM
Just don't HOG out more material than it can cut... Select Multi Pass Cutting and take small bites... And using the big bits you need to stay on top of your Y Gearbox... It will be the weak point and anything over 250 cut hours you need to be replacing the 2 inner 685ZZ bearings.... Even BETTER.... if doing this often is to change them every 100 hours....

Why? The Y takes the most abuse of all... And when the 2 little bearings wear out they let the Big Plastic Gear that is already under tension lean toward the center of the machine. In doing so it leans away from the Servo Motor Spline Shaft... While under a Stress Condition this leaning away can let the Servo Motor SLIP in the form of CLICKING..... As in the Servo Motor is telling the Bit to move here.... and due to the heavy work load the servo motor clicks... The Servo Motor ENCODER is HAPPY but the actual bit is now OFF in that direction by every click.... If it gets too bad... You can see it as a offset image in the Y Direction and if it gets EXTREME then when the machine goes to HOME after finishing cutting at a offset the head runs into the Keyboard side of the machine like it does for Homing but EARLY and SMASHES into it.... then you find the project DONE but a Y STALL.... And you remove the board and find the Artwork offset....

Preventive Maintenance.... IF you IGNORE this then the bearing will fail and the shaft will turn in the inside of the bearing and wear thin... The part can be purchased by you at LHR if worn.... IF you ever find a loose Y Belt.... Know that the belts normally do not stretch and more than likely it is really the Y gear box bearings....

AL

papawbummie
10-02-2013, 08:49 PM
How do you make a carve region taper , ,250 depth at bottom depth and taper to 0 depth on top. I can do it with domes but i would like a straight line Thanks, Bert

bergerud
10-02-2013, 09:00 PM
Have you tried feather? Have you tried using a V bit? Otherwise, without the 3d tools, I think you have to create gradients outside of Designer. Maybe one of us could create what you want if you can describe it or attach an mpc.