PDA

View Full Version : Homing Error: Z Axis

flyingemt
09-24-2013, 09:56 PM
Ok, so, I have replaced the Z-truck, and installed the A907 upgrade kit. All connections correct, FSC cable contacts pointing at the terminals. And now when simply testing and just measuring I get the "HOMING ERROR: Z-Axis."

Thoughts before my wife attacks it with my 9mm after what I just spent?

fwharris
09-24-2013, 10:09 PM
From the trouble shooting page on CW site..

Cycle the machine power and retry the project. If the error persists, record the seven digit error code and contact CarveWright customer support.

Have you looked at the Z sensor reading in the sensor check section?

flyingemt
09-24-2013, 10:15 PM
There is no 7 digit error code. Sensor check reveals change with Y axis movement, however moving the truck vertically, Z remains at 0.000

fwharris
09-24-2013, 10:39 PM
During the homing process does the Z move at all? Have you double checked to make sure you plugged the Z motor wires to the to new Z card that mounts on the back of the Y/Z truck?

flyingemt
09-24-2013, 10:40 PM
No movement at all. Yes, all connections accounted for.

fwharris
09-24-2013, 10:47 PM
WAG, double check to make sure you do not have one of the plugs in upside down.

It sounds like your not getting any Z signals at all so it has to be a wire connection issue or bad card?

Was you having any issues prior to doing the update?

flyingemt
09-24-2013, 10:52 PM
I had to change out a board sensor. All went fine till bearing retainer in the OEM Z truck fell out during a routing cut out. Truck started wobbling, bit broke, it was shot. Well as the card is new with the A907, any suggestions which connection?

Also noted, it states homing problem:z axis, not homing error.

fwharris
09-24-2013, 11:09 PM
What version of software and how recent have you updated and re formatted the card?

flyingemt
09-24-2013, 11:48 PM
1.187, reformatted prior to last use.

Digitalwoodshop
09-25-2013, 02:31 PM
And you swapped the boards on both ends of the 14 pin FSC Cable correct? And the Servo Motor connector looks like it is put in correct? It can be pushed in 180 degrees out...

To loose all Z I would double check the way the FSC Cable is facing, you mentioned this... With Plastic on one side that would cause this...

Next since you replaced the board Sensor you may have pulled the board sensor cable and it is shorted... UNPLUG the top Board Sensor Cable and try the Z....

And lastly... Power Off... Remove the Z Motor and plug it into the Y and just do a Encoder Check... See if the Z Motor makes pulses in the Y Spot... IF it does... FSC Cable...

Good Luck,

AL

flyingemt
09-25-2013, 05:11 PM
Al,

Tried all that, no joy. Called LHR, went through a few things, again no joy. Advised to put new Z motor board on old motor to test. Guess what, BAD Z Motor! LHR is sending me another to replace the one I bought already. At least I am temporarily back in business!! :D

fwharris
09-25-2013, 05:13 PM
Thanks for the update... bad z motor did cross my mind...

Digitalwoodshop
09-26-2013, 08:59 PM
Cool !!!! Road Trip today I am late catching up. Got the PM.

AL