PDA

View Full Version : Can't edit patterns anymore

Lobo
09-24-2013, 04:27 PM
Since installing Designer 2, I can no longer edit (in pattern editor) patterns I have created. I get a message saying "Not Allowed. You are only authorized to edit patterns you have created. ... "

I'm talking about patterns I have created completely from scratch (mostly in CorelDraw).

I tried going back to Designer !.187, but got the same message.

Has anyone else experienced this? Have any suggestions? Using Win 7, latest updates.

bergerud
09-24-2013, 04:44 PM
There must be a problem with your license. You should call LHR.

TerryT
09-24-2013, 04:48 PM
That will happen if Designer 2.0 is running in demo mode.

bergerud
09-24-2013, 06:13 PM
But that would not affect 1.187. I think the license has changed.

mtylerfl
09-24-2013, 06:38 PM
As Bergerud says...call LHR to see if the license is causing this.

Also, for future reference...ALWAYS save your patterns as both PTN and the MPW format. The PTN format encodes the copy-protection...the MPW has ZERO copy-protection and you will never be "locked out" from editing your own patterns.

If you change computers, you can get locked out of your own patterns...MPW to the rescue!
Just open the MPW in the pattern Editor and re-save as a PTN when done editing. Remember not to save over or delete your original MPW file, so you'll always have a master backup no matter what.

Lobo
09-29-2013, 07:00 AM
Michael, thanks for the tip about MPW format. All these years, and I didn't know that there was no copy protection in that format! Live and learn!

The problem was with the licenses, but it seems to be nearly insurmountable. The registration server had assigned at least two different IDs to my computer -- it seems to vary according to what programs are running when I start Designer. (I swear, it might also have something to do with what I'm wearing when I sit at the computer, too, but I can't verify that.) I kept getting messages that my program wasn't registered. It took a lot of calls to Carvewright to convince them that I wasn't trying to run illegal copies of the software, but by then I had been through a bunch of IDs and licenses.

In any case, I can always go back to Corel and recreate the patterns -- probably better now that I've learned a little more. Thanks again for the tip about MPW files.

lynnfrwd
09-29-2013, 09:06 AM
I didn't know you could run illegal copies of designer. Thats a new one for me cuz i've never heard of that before. I'm guessing from the sounds of it your using Win 7 with x86 or whatever it's called. You may or may not have used Run As Administrator in installation. Also guessing you run a regular virus scan software that changes your computer ID. May need to run Clean Licenses program or reinstall and reregistered following Run as Admin instructions. Call Monday.

Lobo
09-29-2013, 06:35 PM
Perhaps I should have said "run Designer illegally." I think the person I spoke with at LHR thought I was trying to use my two licenses on more than two computers. (The program was installed using administrator privileges.) You're right that something was changing my computer ID -- at least from Designer's perspective -- because I kept getting messages that I needed to register, followed by "An Invalid License was assigned by the registration server."

lynnfrwd
09-29-2013, 08:37 PM
Did u try what I suggested? Clean license program? (last paragraph of troubleshooting install under Designer downloads.) then try reinstall using Run as Admin and reregistration using it too.