PDA

View Full Version : stl pattrens

aokweld101
09-22-2013, 11:02 PM
When doing a STL pattern I can get the front and back at .75 thick to make a 2-d pattern when it's done It's two .75 boards front and back totaling 1.5 thick or there abouts
My question is how do you get the third piece in there to make a 3-d model? some help please... I get lost on the concept of making a 3-d model I'm getting a little bit better at understanding Greek though...lol

fwharris
09-22-2013, 11:50 PM
It is all about how you slice the stl model.. If you have not viewed the tutorials yet..

http://www.carvewright.com/support-page/getting-started/tutorials/software-tutorials/stl-importer

bergerud
09-22-2013, 11:58 PM
When doing a STL pattern I can get the front and back at .75 thick to make a 2-d pattern when it's done It's two .75 boards front and back totaling 1.5 thick or there abouts
My question is how do you get the third piece in there to make a 3-d model? some help please... I get lost on the concept of making a 3-d model I'm getting a little bit better at understanding Greek though...lol

The number of 0.75 slices depends on the z size you choose just after you import the stl: 1.5 - 2 slices, 2.25 - 3 slices, 3.0 - 4 slices, and so on. You have to initially scale the stl to choose the number of slices.

aokweld101
09-23-2013, 08:21 AM
Thank you gentlemen went over the tutorial again and think I understand a little bit more of the 3-d concept I'll do as bergerud says and play with it for the next 6 months or until I "GET IT" ...I Have it put in my head it's not going to beat me...and it's not, thanks again...

aokweld101
09-23-2013, 09:27 AM
I already have a question when importing the STL file the first box that comes up is a box that shows a scaling do you change the scaling it says in the white box 1 equals a 1000 pixels and in the next box witch is gray says 789000, do I change the settings?