PDA

View Full Version : Winter storage

Mikewiz
09-21-2013, 08:22 AM
Hey,
I live in an apartment and don't use the CW in the winter. I usually store it in my apartment but I now have a shed that is my workshop, it's not heated so will it be ok to store it there for the winter? Thanks mike

Digitalwoodshop
09-21-2013, 08:56 AM
My wood shop is not heated all the time and the machine or machines sit in the cold. Moisture would be the big problem with me when I turn the heat on I need to let the machines dry off from condensation before using them.

For a in active machine stored in the cold of winter.. I would find some of the Desiccant Moisture pouches and after cleaning and lubricating the machine, seal it in a double plastic bag with the desiccant. If Mice were a problem I would build a plywood box to seal it in.

The big issue in the spring would be moisture inside the computer and power supply. A few days in the warm to dry out would be good.

Good Luck,

AL

jaroot
09-21-2013, 10:38 AM
Ours sets in an unheated garage all winter except when we use it. In those cases we use a cat heater and warm the machine up for about twenty mins or so then start carving. I can tell when ours is warm enough when it will clamp the wood. If ours is below about 50° the ratchet on the crank won't lower the head.

That being said the temps here rarely get below 0° so your results my vary.

Mikewiz
09-21-2013, 11:04 AM
Thanks for the replies. Al I was concerned about moisture so I,ll keep it in the house for the winter. Thx, Mike.