PDA

View Full Version : Close cover switch - FAILED?

Don Butler
09-19-2013, 09:36 AM
This is the last of a series of problems that have occurred since trying to use my "B" machine after several months of idle time.

First it was "Clear Board Sensor" and after awhile messing with that I just replaced the sensor. That problem solved.

Then one of the traction belts ripped in two. Replaced the belts and reassembled.

Now I have been getting "Close Cover" errors, at first intermittently, but now constant. Removed the head cover assembly and checked the position and tightness on the cover pivot and the switch. All OK. Then I tried to check the switch with a continuity test, but couldn't get a closed indication.
So I thought I didn't know which of the wires in that little white 10 position connector were the right ones, so I put it back on the machine and used the test procedure from the keypad.
It says cover open even when I depress the switch manually.
So, has the switch failed, or what am I missing? If the switch needs to be replaced how do I get the old wires free from that hard silicone wad in the cover? I tried to move the wires a little, but the cement is too hardened to allow for that.

I sure hope this series of errors can be cleared and I can get back to carving. My client might lose patience with me!

Don

hray
09-19-2013, 12:00 PM
place a jumper wire across left hand swicth go to the key pad sencer check if it reads closed remove the jumper dose it read open then it is a bad swicth

badbert
09-19-2013, 07:07 PM
Make sure the 14 pin ribbon cable is inserted square and fully. A short across the pins will knock out reference voltage and close cover is the first error.

Digitalwoodshop
09-19-2013, 07:22 PM
Like posted above, you need to short the switch and see what the computer is seeing. Since it was intermittent I am assuming that the plug is installed with the white wire facing the center of the machine. If you install the left cover switch plug 180 degrees out you get a open cover all the time.

SO by shorting the actual switch you then half split the troubleshooting. Switch or wiring and computer... I bet it is the switch.. The Switch can be EASILY damaged when you remove the top cover as the clear cover does not have a mechanical stop and the clear cover can rest on the switch and damage it.

I would order the switch with the wires on it.... I have one and I thought it had wires..., but it is from years ago never used.

Let us know...

AL