PDA

View Full Version : carve tight

Elmo Sr
09-19-2013, 08:34 AM
good morning, can I use a 1/2'' shank bit without a collet"

chief2007
09-19-2013, 08:53 AM
Yes you can - just have a way to keep the measurement the same is you have to change out bits.

dehrlich
07-05-2014, 08:18 PM
Figured I would just comment on this rather than starting a new thread. I am going to order a new machine Monday. Question is; can I use the bit adapters for the 1/2" Rock chuck i have in my current machine in the Carvetight chuck? I'm guessing yes if you can use 1/2" shank bits, but thought I would ask the dumb question anyway haha.

unitedcases
07-05-2014, 10:34 PM
Figured I would just comment on this rather than starting a new thread. I am going to order a new machine Monday. Question is; can I use the bit adapters for the 1/2" Rock chuck i have in my current machine in the Carvetight chuck? I'm guessing yes if you can use 1/2" shank bits, but thought I would ask the dumb question anyway haha.
Just have to watch the height. Or length of the bits.

aokweld101
07-05-2014, 10:45 PM
Someone on the forum mentioned using a .25 & .5 feral that is used for copper compression fittings for spacing on the bits.

RogerB
07-06-2014, 06:25 AM
I use O rings.

Digitalwoodshop
07-06-2014, 09:03 AM
Since the machine is tuned to the Carvetite bits you need to watch the length especially on the 1/8th inch cutting bit. The machine will fault out or stall if the bit hits before it expects it with a CT bit.

I am always looking to buy used Rock Chucks.

AL

SteveNelson46
07-06-2014, 12:25 PM

In the past I have used solid carbide bits with a split collet in the Carvetight chuck and most of the time without any problems. The key word here is MOST of the time. Sometimes the bit will slip in the collet regardless of how tight the bit is tightened. I think LHRs official statement is that it is not recommended. IMHO it is not worth taking a chance and ruining the project. However, with 1/2" shanks there shouldn't any issues.

Capt Bruce
07-06-2014, 12:39 PM
My trick for setting a bit in the collet adapter is to match the length of a CarveTite bit below the chuck. Then apply 3 or four wraps of common blue masking tape at that point on the bit shaft. It is then thick enough to register on the bottom of the adapter when it is inserted into your CT chuck. But yes some solid carbide bits will slip up or down in a collet adapter so watch them as the parts heat up in use. Better to pause the carving and using a guage made from a scrap of wood, check how much of the bit is exposed below your chuck just for safety's sake.

caklmk
09-04-2014, 05:28 PM
I use split set collars to maintain the bit depth insertion into the collet. I got them from McMaster Carr supply in Chicago.