PDA

View Full Version : Help with identifying loose parts

mister_zed
09-18-2013, 04:10 AM
Hello, fellow carvers!

Today I was doing a test carve (machine series A, something like 20+ hours on it) and when I looked down on the piece of wood I saw a black piece of plastic emerging between the piece of wood and the compression rollers. Needless to say, the piece of plastic was badly maltreated and "compressed" itself by the time I could stop the machine and retrieve it. At the touch of my hand it promptly became two pieces of plastic.

The machine continues to carve now, seemingly without problems. I believe it might be the cover to the Z axis step motor that I have in my hand. Could somebody confirm it? I am not exactly thrilled with the perspective of once again taking my machine apart... ;)

Btw, what are the implications of running without that cover? (Yeah, I know I should know better that asking stupid questions...)
64796 64795

Greetings from the "other side of the great pond"

/Z

henry1
09-18-2013, 05:45 AM
Yes that sure look like the cover of the Z motor

mister_zed
09-18-2013, 06:06 AM
Thanks! ...and... Ouch!

The image of the motor leaves me wondering what has happened to the motor cover. Must have been some kind of abuse by previous owner. Or vibrations... I replaced QC recently and after replacement I realized that the previous QC had caused quite a lot of vibration.

Next question: is it possible/recommended to vacuum clean the inside of Z motor before putting on a new cover or sealing in place (silicone) whatever is left of the old one?

fwharris
09-18-2013, 09:25 PM
I would first try low pressure air to blow it out. Not sure if they have it over the pond but you might try some JB weld to put the cover back together. When you do put it back on use some caulking to help hold and seal it in place..

Digitalwoodshop
09-18-2013, 09:32 PM
The Z Motor sometimes gets tangled up in the wires from the Right Side Clear Cover Switch and normally just prevents the Y from getting to the Bit Flag... The Tangle might have caused it.... Or.. it's the Y Motor....

Wires on the right switch normally tucks into the far right corner.

Masking Tape will seal the Servo Motor Encoder area to fix it....

AL

mister_zed
09-24-2013, 02:50 PM
Thanks!

I used compressed air to blow the motor clean and then sealed the broken cover with silicone. No wonder the cover fell off, it didn't have any screws to hold it in place.

/ Z