PDA

View Full Version : Having problem with Y motor mount assembly. Can it be fixed or replace it?

Rob Mulgrew
09-15-2013, 10:39 PM
Hello,
My machine has just hit 250 hrs. The white plastic gear on the y motor has a pretty bad wobble to it and makes a clicking noise. Is there a way to fix this or should I use it till it breaks and then replace the y motor? Thanks for the feedback.

fwharris
09-15-2013, 10:51 PM
Sounds like time to replace the bearing in the Y gear box and probably the pulley as well. I would for go doing any carving until you rebuild the Y gear box as you could break a bit.

bergerud
09-15-2013, 11:27 PM
As long as the shaft is not damaged, you can replace the bearings. They are 5 X 11 X 5 mm , a standard bearing 685ZZ.

http://www.avidrc.com/product/1/bearings/170/5x11x5-Metal-685ZZ-bearings.html

Rob Mulgrew
09-15-2013, 11:42 PM
Thanks for the responses. I will take it apart tomorrow and see if I can get away with just replacing the bearings.

Digitalwoodshop
09-16-2013, 09:44 AM
Since the Y gear box is clicking most likely over at the bit plate, then it already has bad 685ZZ Bearings and more than likely has worn the shaft of the big plastic gear to the point that new bearings will not do... You need to get the gear and shaft from LHR. See picture for the part number... Before I learned I wore out a few gears....

The clicking is the shaft leaning away form the servo motor splined shaft and slipping.

I would NOT do any carving until you replace the gear and bearings. During a carve the Y will get off in position and be offset in the middle of your carve.. and the price of Fire WOOD is the cost of the gear and shipping.... Order Cut Motor Brushes and FSC Cable to save on future shipping.

AL

Rob Mulgrew
09-16-2013, 11:58 AM
I pulled the y motor out and as soon as I pulled out the shaft, one of the little bearings literally fell apart. The shaft has no thin spots on it so I found a local bearing company that will have me some new 685zz bearings tomorrow. I am going to order them from AvidRc in the future for they are half the price I am paying but I don't want to lose $300 in signs this week. Thanks for all the responses.

fwharris
09-16-2013, 12:18 PM
Good job of finding the bearing locally.

cestout
09-16-2013, 06:39 PM
When you put your machine back together, put the side piece away (from the keyboard). Gives you access to tuck the power wires in properly so the Y truck doesn't bump into them.

earlyrider
09-16-2013, 08:21 PM
Al, when I tried to buy the gear, CW wouldn't sell it to me. They wanted me to buy the entire Y motor setup. Anyone else have this problem? I don't want to spend $80 for an eight dollar problem.

Digitalwoodshop
09-16-2013, 09:17 PM
That is a OLD Invoice... Things change.... Hopefully LHR will chime in on this....

Sometimes it is the person on the phone.... they may not know... Having the part number may help...

AL