PDA

View Full Version : question about guy and stuff in "main" picture, how it's done, what you'd need

THT
09-13-2013, 03:57 PM
Not sure if this is the right place to post this, but I'm trying to figure out what to include in my "package." I assume he's carved everything pictured with the CarveWright? Can anyone tell more about is needed to make individual things on there? (so it is buying-related, but also capability related)

For example, the screens or rectangles with the animals in front of him that go through. They look deeper than 8/10 inches. And very detailed. So what would it take to do those in terms of bits, software, etc.?

The bust/skull by him? Rotary jig? Still seems deeper than 8/10" in parts?

The lion head also looks deeper, so how is that done? Multiple layers or...?

I tried to search the forums but maybe I'm not using the right keywords. Have a variety of ideas of what I want to do with the machine and just trying to sort out the options, what it takes to do what, if that makes sense.

Thanks again!

lynnfrwd
09-13-2013, 04:23 PM
I assume he's carved everything pictured with the CarveWright?

Our dear friend Robert Dages was here that day and we made him play the role of our "customer model".

This is the photo, BTW:

http://www.carvewright.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/10/Imade_this_dages1.png

the screens or rectangles with the animals in front of him that go through. They look deeper than 8/10 inches.

These were carved into 3/4" material and carved all of the way through the material. There is a "trough" between the rollers, so you don't cut into them when you carve deeper than the wood. We call them "pierced" carvings. Those three panels all used the 1/16" carving bit and patterns from the PatternDepot. The giraffes are carved in "PLYBOO" plywood bamboo...really cool looking. The one on the left was carved into a pre-made cabinet door. The grapes was one of many projects that have gotten off to a good start, but never finished. It was going to be the sides of a wine cabinet.

The lion head also looks deeper, so how is that done? Multiple layers or...?

BINGO!! STL Importer allows you to take 3d models and make "slices".

Look at TUTORIALS under SUPPORT > SOFTWARE at MAIN website.

James RS
09-13-2013, 04:45 PM
Hey speaking of carves, a few years ago someone carved a Ford motor.

rcdages
09-13-2013, 04:56 PM
Hello it's me. The guy in the photo.

I was so lucky to be at LHR that day.

How wonderful it was to be ask to do that.

I am always so pleased to do what ever I can to help promote the LHR / CW CNC and our family of owners.

The CarveWright CNC is one of the very best things that has happen in my life..........

aokweld101
09-13-2013, 05:31 PM
I didn't know that was Robert, it sure impressed the heck out of me at the time when I bought the carvewright I seen me standing back behind the machine....lol....Don't know if I should thank him or give him a kick in the rear..lmao..I do thank you Robert I really like the machine !!!!!

THT
09-13-2013, 05:34 PM
Thank you, great info :) How about the bust, how was that done? Layers with STL?

lynnfrwd
09-13-2013, 05:39 PM
Thank you, great info :) How about the bust, how was that done? Layers with STL? Yes, sir! Each slice is laid out like a pattern on a project board, carved & cut out, then glued back together.

Mikewiz
09-13-2013, 07:24 PM
Where can you get plans for the dinosaur? Would be a cool project to carve

lynnfrwd
09-14-2013, 08:24 AM
Someone needs to write the PDF and do a diagram on all of the parts and how they go together, before we can make it available. Pretty daunting task and not been a priority.

dbfletcher
09-14-2013, 10:28 AM
I thought it already was available??

http://store.carvewright.com/product.php?productid=24370&cat=&page=1

THT
09-16-2013, 08:45 AM
I did find the picture with "annotations" yesterday saying who made what. Didn't find that originally; the site navigation isn't for some reason intuitive for me. I'm finding that everything I want is there if I can locate it :)
I swear I'd been to this page but maybe I was on the pinterest or facebook gallery. For anyone else looking:
http://www.carvewright.com/am_portfolios/gallery/

lynnfrwd
09-16-2013, 03:44 PM
I thought it already was available??

http://store.carvewright.com/product.php?productid=24370&cat=&page=1

Well, proves once again, I could be wrong.