PDA

View Full Version : When is scrap not scrap?

dehrlich
09-13-2013, 07:49 AM
I have been trying hard to come up with ways to reduce scrap. I noticed that sometimes, you can make really neat projects from the left overs of a carve. Here is an example. I carved a neat name sign for my dad's birthday from a pattern I found here on the forum:

The left over board had a really neat pattern in it. So I thought hey, how about if I put a simple frame around that, modified it slightly to remove some fragile pieces, then put a mirror behind it... might make an awesome décor item. Here is the result:

lawrence
09-13-2013, 08:02 AM
that is a a really clever way to reduce waste and get a neat result too- my scraps usually end up in my buddy's burn bin... I like your way better :)

Thanks for sharing
Lawrence

chief2007
09-13-2013, 08:20 AM
Very clever - I can think of a few things I can do something similar with.

aokweld101
09-13-2013, 08:46 AM
I have all kinds of cutouts left, they where headed to the burn barrow now I'll rethink about the burn barrow and fire place. thanks

chebytrk
09-13-2013, 10:34 AM
Great Idea !

dehrlich
09-13-2013, 12:40 PM
Yes, thanks guys. Also think about the ones where you cut out smaller shapes, are those shapes big enough to be suitable as picture frames? I did one of the "box of wisdom" projects a while back. That left me with a board that has 3 star shapes in a row. Great frame for say, 3 kids pictures? I know i'm going to start thinking about this when I lay projects out. The trick is, how do you make it work to put a back on it to hold pictures? Either program the machine to carve a square/rectangular cut out, or do it like I did the mirror project. Make your frame parts wide enough that you can leave a lip on the back to hold your backing material. A few turn buttons and shazam, picture frame.

aokweld101
09-13-2013, 01:10 PM
When making the back and things are already cut out isn't that where that magical thing called masking tape comes in ? lol