PDA

View Full Version : Tracking roller sensor error

zan29
09-11-2013, 10:42 AM
Ok, so I've unplugged and plugged the sensor back again (both ends) but I keep having the back roller on release when testing. Is my sensor done or is there anything else I should check first before ordering the part.

lynnfrwd
09-11-2013, 10:49 AM
Ok, so I've unplugged and plugged the sensor back again (both ends) but I keep having the back roller on release when testing. Is my sensor done or is there anything else I should check first before ordering the part.

So, your back roller is stuck? It that the issue you are seeing?

Go to www.carvewright.com > Support > Troubleshooting > Machine > Displayed Error Messages > Stuck Compression Roller Message

zan29
09-11-2013, 10:53 AM
Yes during the carve, the bit would not move anymore and yes the message was stuck roller. Like I said, I've unplugged the sensor and cleaned the roller like suggested. What else needs to be done??

lynnfrwd
09-11-2013, 11:22 AM
If you have followed those steps and are still having trouble you can call hardware support or see if anyone else on here has any other ideas.

zan29
09-15-2013, 03:49 PM
Well I just finished changing the tracking roller sensors and I still get the same error message "Check tracking roller" and can't get an accurate measurement on my board soooooooooooooooo, I starting looking at the rollers and the rear one is a lot looser than the front one and so is the rubber washer..........is that normal??

fwharris
09-15-2013, 03:59 PM
have you read through the rubber belt instruction sheets to compare things?

zan29
09-15-2013, 04:04 PM
No I haven't but I don't understand what the rubber belt has anything to do with it. I'm talking about the upper rollers. Can you clarify fwharris?

fwharris
09-15-2013, 04:07 PM
No I haven't but I don't understand what the rubber belt has anything to do with it. I'm talking about the upper rollers. Can you clarify fwharris?

ok my bad. I thought you were talking about the brass roller as that is the board tracking sensor. You are working on the compression rollers and the switch on the end of the roller at the key board side then?

TerryT
09-15-2013, 04:12 PM
The tracking roller is the brass roller on the bottom that the boards ride over. The rubber belts, sometimes spread when compressed and interfer with the tracing roller. Also I have seen instances where a stuck roller (upper) switch would cause the "check tracking roller" warning.

zan29
09-15-2013, 04:47 PM
This is so confusing. On the CW page, they refer that error message to the upper rollers if I remember well, by blowing air into the rubber washer and checking the clicking sound on each roller. Well my friend Henry told me to have a look at the bottom rollers which I'll do tomorrow. Thanks all for the info.

fwharris
09-15-2013, 05:41 PM
Do a sensor check, (0,7) on the keyboard. The down arrow will take you to the compression roller reading. With out a board in the machine they both should read open, with a board in and head cranked down both should be compressed. Watch to see when they show compressed. Both should change close to the same time. You can also move the rollers by hand.

Another thing to check on is your head pressure. If pressure is low it can allow the roller switch to go open.

zan29
09-15-2013, 07:39 PM
I did the sensor check and the reason why I changed the sensors cause one of them was always released but still getting that error message. The head pressure I should check for sure. Thanks!

Digitalwoodshop
09-15-2013, 08:23 PM
OK... I am confused....

Like posted above the error messages can get confusing....

If you DID get a "Check Tracking Roller" Error than that would be talking about the Brass Roller. And if you have RUBBER BELTS this is a common problem.... IF the Brass Roller is not Centered between the belts, when you crank the head down on a board, the belts can Compress and BULGE. It is IMPOSSIBLE to SEE when the board is NOT cranked down as the belts bulge like a Radial Tire on your car... And then the belt Brushes against the Brass Roller making Pulses that the computer finds "Confusing".... And TELLS YOU... Remember the X Drive Servo Motor looks just like the Y and Z with different reduction gears... And that motor HAS a Encoder... So I am "Guessing" that the error is generated when the program is seeing a Consistent X Motor but Confusing data from the Brass Roller caused by the bulge and possibly even the JOINT in the belts....

The FIX... Posted many times since the introduction of the rubber belts is to remove the Brass Roller Assembly AND make the mounting holes OVAL to let you mount the Brass Roller more CENTERED between the belts.

Now "IF" you Don't have Rubber Belts.... But have Sand Paper Belts... I would look for a Rolled UNDER belt at the brass roller side. A very hard to see... But look at the other end.... IF it is not even with the forward belt, the one under the cut motor usually rolls under.... IF it is short... It had to go somewhere.... as in rolled under....

NOW... if you get a "Stuck Roller" error.... That is talking about the Rubber Roller that hold down the board on the Sand Paper or Rubber Belts... The Machine uses the Rubber Roller data for IMPORTANT functions like when you measure a board, and the board comes out from under the roller and it becomes un compressed that tells the machine to turn ON the Board Sensor... Time to find the edge of the board... So if a roller gets stuck and never compresses the board sensor never turns on and the board CAN exit the machine.... Waiting for the roller to un compress.... OR is something is WRONG and the Roller is showing RELEASED ALL THE TIME, that should generate a error TOO... I believe you mentioned it.... ????

So like posted above.... Use the Sensor Data and the LCD will show BOTH Rollers, Compressed and Released or Un Compressed just by cranking down on a board and back UP.

IF you get a roller that will NOT show Released, that is usually dust build up on the FLAT PLATE that the roller RESTS on when un compressed. The dust builds up like layers of Filo dough over time. Look at my pictures, one shows the roller un compressed after I cleaned MY PLATE and the switch tang falls into the slot when UN COMPRESSED. When Dust builds up on the plate, the tang cannot fall into the slot... Even though the roller is released...

So when one sensor shows RELEASED ALL THE TIME.... like you mentioned.... Bad Switch or a OPEN WIRE... And will involve a tracing of the wires to the circuit board. LOOK at the board for missing resistors... I am not sure what board as I never traced the wires...

So you replaced the SWITCH?

You can see the RUBBER WASHER on the far side of the Switch on the edge of the Roller... It should spin free I believe.

AL

zan29
09-16-2013, 06:04 AM
OooooooooooooooooooooKKKKK Al, now I'm really confused...........JUST KIDDING! Thanks for all that info, you guys are great!

Digitalwoodshop
09-16-2013, 09:21 AM
OooooooooooooooooooooKKKKK Al, now I'm really confused...........JUST KIDDING! Thanks for all that info, you guys are great!

The life of a Maytag Repairman... WAITING for something to FIX.... LOL....

AL

wingnut
01-26-2014, 02:11 PM
Does anyone have any idea what I should try for a Board tracking sensor that stays at zero when I check to see if it is working? I already replaced the board tracking sendor and when I checked the calibrations it stays at zero when I turn it? Any ideas?

Digitalwoodshop
01-26-2014, 02:42 PM
Did it work after you changed it?

Loose cable or pinched wire.

Can you elaborate.....

Board Tracking Sensor as in the Brass Roller or the LED Board Sensor?

IF Board Sensor it could be a pinched wire between the metal frame and the plastic cover on the track slot. I had that a few times.

4 wires that plug into the top. When you pull the wire down to hook up a board sensor it slides along the knife edge of the track and can cut and short the wire.

The Test is to put a board in and a piece of white copy paper on the board and crank down. Place the head over the paper and with options call up the board sensor. A 156 is perfect.... A zero.... not so good... It measures REFLECTIVE Light from the board, so if it is not over the paper it is like shining headlights off a cliff.... all dark... nothing to reflect off...

If Brass Roller.... Let us know... You can always call me... I will be in the shop tonight after 6 PM. Number in on the bottom of my web pages listed below.

AL