PDA

View Full Version : Fussy about finishing

dehrlich
09-04-2013, 05:30 PM
Hi... hey i'm wondering about you professional sign makers. How fussy do you get about sanding your signs before you apply finish? I mean, do you try to get rid of every tool mark on all the letters and little details, or do you just take the rough off? It just seems like I spend a majority of my time with a dremel in my hand, or sandpaper, or a carving knife. Not only that, but I burn through lots of those little bristle discs, and at almost a dollar each that adds up quick. What say you?

dehrlich
09-06-2013, 05:58 AM
Nobody replies to my threads... am I invisible? Maybe I just don't post interesting enough subjects? Well i'll just reply to my own thread, I am trying to get enough posts to be a "member" anyway.

Old Salt
09-06-2013, 07:17 AM
no one around?
I use the mop on my drill press set at a high speed and just put a small amount of pressure on it .
try putting a background in carves will hide some of the lines.
do very little by hand anymore.

zan29
09-06-2013, 07:31 AM
Well I'm far from being a pro at it but so far I haven't been able to finish a carving perfectly. Spent hours sanding and trying different things and ending up ruining the whole thing and sore arms. To me, as far as signs are concerned, if you use raster text, you have to use the draft tool also. Makes it easier to sand and looks better. Remember, people don't look at signs all that close.

chebytrk
09-06-2013, 07:44 AM
I try to clean as much as I can especially if I'm selling the project. It's true about using up the sanding bristles pretty quick & they being expensive. However after all this time I recall reading on here a way to make them last a little longer. If you happen to have a dremmel tool that you can regulate the speed, slow down the rpm on it when cleaning an area. The only thing that crank's me up about that is that I wish I would have kown that sooner cause it works for me! LOL I also use sanding sealer before carving AND after a carve. That makes it easier to clean & sand. Sometimes if I'm really trying to clean as much as possible, I will use sanding sealer after I use bristles & sander, let it dry and clean one more time. It all depends on how good you want your end result to look. It can be time consuming & we can never really charge for all the labor we put in it so it's really up to you. Always keep in mind that the end result will determine customer satisfaction & word of mouth on the type of work you do. There are different ways to lessen clean up on projects..... type of board used, carving bit setting, detail of the project, overall setup of the project in Designer (feathering, draft, depth, etc). Experience is the best teacher, but just as important I believe is this forum. Learning curve can be shortened by reading & asking on this forum. Hope this info helped you. Also don't get discouraged when you don't get a quick reply on here.... it'll come. Patience grasshopper... LOL

aokweld101
09-06-2013, 08:04 AM
just wanted to say I read your post when you posted it I wanted someone else to key in for you I have hours of sanding and using the sanding mop by you posting this I learned something too, that I haven't done I have not used the sanding sealer witch I have seen over and over suggested on the forum so there has to be some truth to it I myself will try and see how it works and save me sanding time...thanks... by the way 49 more post to go...= MEMBER...lol

dehrlich
09-06-2013, 08:42 AM
Never tried sanding sealer. If I used pine all the time it would be way easy, but I use pine very rarely. I tend to carve more in walnut, maple and oak than anything else. Maple is the worst, so hard but it makes the best carvings because it takes detail so well.

After so many years of building furniture and jewelry boxes, I tend to be a perfectionist. I sand and scrape and so on trying to get everything perfect. It does pay off in a good looking project, just less of them lol.

rcdages
09-06-2013, 09:07 AM
I try to clean as much as I can especially if I'm selling the project. It's true about using up the sanding bristles pretty quick & they being expensive. However after all this time I recall reading on here a way to make them last a little longer. If you happen to have a dremmel tool that you can regulate the speed, slow down the rpm on it when cleaning an area. The only thing that crank's me up about that is that I wish I would have kown that sooner cause it works for me! LOL I also use sanding sealer before carving AND after a carve. That makes it easier to clean & sand. Sometimes if I'm really trying to clean as much as possible, I will use sanding sealer after I use bristles & sander, let it dry and clean one more time. It all depends on how good you want your end result to look. It can be time consuming & we can never really charge for all the labor we put in it so it's really up to you. Always keep in mind that the end result will determine customer satisfaction & word of mouth on the type of work you do. There are different ways to lessen clean up on projects..... type of board used, carving bit setting, detail of the project, overall setup of the project in Designer (feathering, draft, depth, etc). Experience is the best teacher, but just as important I believe is this forum. Learning curve can be shortened by reading & asking on this forum. Hope this info helped you. Also don't get discouraged when you don't get a quick reply on here.... it'll come. Patience grasshopper... LOL

This is great advise from JerryB.

My 2 cents is that I do most if not all my carvings on OPTIMAL, I know it is longer yet it sure cuts my amount of sanding down.

I use the 3m Bristle Discs and with Optimal it saves on them and my sand paper.

earlyrider
09-06-2013, 11:09 AM
You can also get 2" and 3" radial bristle discs. These last considerably longer than the 3/4 or 1" discs.

Proctorw
09-06-2013, 05:20 PM
I just got back from Homer Depot and found the Dremel sanding drum was $8 and it was 80 grit. That seems expensive. I have never used these before so I thought I would price at Lowes later this evening. Anyone have a "Cheaper Source"?

Thanks,
Wayne

RobertP
09-06-2013, 06:55 PM
This is what I use with wonderful results, I found them in the metal working isle at Ace hardware

rcdages
09-06-2013, 10:22 PM
I just got back from Homer Depot and found the Dremel sanding drum was $8 and it was 80 grit. That seems expensive. I have never used these before so I thought I would price at Lowes later this evening. Anyone have a "Cheaper Source"?

Thanks,
Wayne

I get 3M Radial Bristle Discs from http://www.ottofrei.com
Here is their phone numbeer and the fellow I call to place my orders with.
Otto Frei 1-800-772-3456 ext:103 Walt Matlock
Minimum oder is 12 per Grit cost $1.20 for the 1" disc. $14.40 for the 12

Hope this information helps you out. Give Walt a call.

Proctorw
09-06-2013, 11:33 PM
Thanks! I will call him on Monday!!!

badbert
09-07-2013, 02:44 AM
I din't answer because I am not a Professional sign painter! But I will give you my 2 Cents worth, if that's what you want. I knock the fuzzies off, with coarse sanding pads, and then a brass wire brush to open the grains. Then I use a sanding sealer. Water-Based Poly sanding sealer if I'm gonna just clear it. Shellac if it is to be stained. Let it dry, and then sand. You will find the sealer sands much easier than wood. I don't ry for perfecting. Leaving the big low spots. Then I blow it off, tack it off, and reapply. After that hardens I sand it again. It is usually smooth enough to be finished after that.

unitedcases
09-07-2013, 04:43 PM
One thing I started doing was making my own sanding mops. I bought a 10 meter cloth backed roll of 80 grit and a spindle. I think I paid 20 for both. The I cut six inch strips. Then notched each strip every 1/4 inch and I made each notch 2in long. I have had that one made for over 8 months now. Still going. I also made one for 120 and 180. I use the 80 in the beginning then the bristle discs and then the 120 before gloss. Then the 180 in between coats. I could probably make 2 or 3 mops of one roll. But I use the same for the scroll saw. After I cut something out I convert the saw into a scroll sander. As far as the bristle discs though, I use a low speed and I dont stay in one spot. I start out with 80 on hard stuff and if it demands it I use 50 grit. I have a times used 36 grit. Patience is the key for me. Slow and steady wins the race.

aokweld101
09-07-2013, 05:38 PM
This is what I use with wonderful results, I found them in the metal working isle at Ace hardware

do they come in different grits and of coarse do they last long ?

RobertP
09-08-2013, 09:21 PM
They do come in different grits from fine to coarse, and yes they do last a long time. They around $11 each, well worth the price