PDA

View Full Version : most of my shop sold off... all but a couple of stationary tools gone

lawrence
09-02-2013, 06:28 PM
In preparation for our upcoming trip around the US in an RV and move to England afterwards, I sold my lathe about a month ago.

Today was a big day though... the guy who bough my lathe made me an offer to buy the majority of my stationary tools...

Table Saw,
Planer
Jointer,
Router table and Incra LS system,
Grinder and Wolverine Jig
Workbench (it was very saddening to see this go...that thing has a lot of blood sweat and tears on it... and if it had ears would have learned quite a few curse words!)
Drill Press
Scroll Saw

He came today and I gave him a couple of hours of hands-on experience... then drove away with it all... all that remains is my Carvewright, a band saw, dust collector, and hand tools (and hand-held power tools like my domino and track saw etc)

Kind of a bummer, but it is exciting too as this means we really are nearing retirement/our RV trip in November.

In a kind of reverse-gloat- the sale of the tools netted me only $200 less than I paid for all the tools originally (though I couldn't replace them for that now due to inflation/weak dollar etc)

Next up is get the house ready and on the market later this month.

Just thought I'd share... LOML actually teared up a little after he pulled away - I just laughed and hugged her- "on to the next adventure" I said...(besides which, I'm certainly not deprived with the tools (or the family) that I do still have) - In fact, I'm a pretty lucky guy on both those counts.

Lawrence

RogerB
09-02-2013, 06:36 PM
Lawrence your always welcome in my shop if you get this way. Always open door . We could even take you to the big Tool Store. Lol

TerryT
09-02-2013, 07:24 PM
Lawrence, I have no doubt about your family. In fact I believe they may probably like you even more than we do! LOL
But I am sad just hearing about your tools going to a new home. I know how I would feel. I might be inconsolable! Definately 3 or 4, 7 and 7's would be called for!
I hope you and your family has the grandest time of your lives!!!! You deserve it. You can ask IKE, I do have some influence with the continuum. I will tell them no break downs for at least 50,000 miles.

Enjoy, my friend.

aokweld101
09-02-2013, 07:35 PM
lawernce I can understand how you might feel I have spent 20 years to build my shop and to get rid of the things that I have worked for 20 yrs. to get to watch it drive off would break my heart. I don't know if I could do that. So I can feel your pain. but the end result is something good, you get your freedom back you will have no ball and chain to hold you back. but I didn't know about England you will have to keep us posted as inquiring minds will wanna know...!!

Smoken D
09-03-2013, 08:09 AM
Gotta be tough. Still welcomed here if in the area of Central Missouri. Ifen ya get the itch the machine downstairs and could make a lot of dust.:lol: View out back.

fwharris
09-03-2013, 09:22 AM
Lawrence,

Congrats on being able to move your shop to one buyer. Even though you did not tear up like the little women I bet there was that bit of an empty feeling in the gut ;). Good luck on getting the house listed and sold. The market up in Colorado is strong and hope it has picked up in your area as well...

Bigtyme
09-03-2013, 03:00 PM
I can't imagine how tough it must have been to empty out your shop (well almost empty, I guess). I am very glad you were able to find a good buyer. I certainly hope you will be able to slowly get back into a shop even if it is across the pond. You have always been a great resource here not only for CW questions, but for general woodworking as well. Your contributions are much appreciated....

Woodpecker
09-06-2013, 01:19 PM
This sounds great! Have a great trip and enjoy. I did something similar about 10 years ago and now I have shop full of tools again. I only wish I had taken more photos.
Woodpecker

JLT
09-07-2013, 08:09 PM
Lawrence,

Sorry to hear about the dismantling of your workshop. That had to have been gut wrenching. But it sounds as though you kept the most important tool!

All you need now is to add the dustcap with minivac and cyclone, and retrofit a portion of your RV with some sound soak. Then, during those long stretches on the highway, turn over the wheel of the RV to your better half, fire up the generator and carve on wheels!

BTW, me and my better half have vacationed in England numerous times over the last decade. Typically we get a rental, and spent a week or so in the lower countryside, as the village architecture is quaint, the sprawling landscape beautiful with its rolling hills, and the English are quite hospitable (at least to tourists!). Despite the high cost of living and the fact that the English drive on the wrong side of the road, we keep going back for more. Whereabouts are you thinking of settling in England?

Jon