PDA

View Full Version : Flex Shaft

rjp736
02-13-2007, 05:14 PM
How do you take the Flex Shaft apart? I need to lube it but can't figure out how it comes off. Any help?

Aaron B
02-13-2007, 05:17 PM
Pull it out of the drill head, then pull the flex shaft out of the sleeve, lubricate and then install. You might have to turn it when you install it to make sure the first end "seats" itself.

rjp736
02-13-2007, 05:30 PM
Problem I have is that I don't know how to take it off. Is there a clip or something? How do you release it from the head....don't want to force it. Thanks

Skyhawk
02-13-2007, 05:46 PM
The first time that I had to remove mine I had the same problem. The shaft is held in by a spring loaded ball bearing which snaps into the head.

At the head, twist and pull up with a good amount of force...it should pop right out. (I would suggest holding onto the head at the same time so as to not add any extra stress to it)

crawls
02-13-2007, 06:24 PM
Ignore message. If it is not getting hot to the touch, than DO NOT lube flex shaft. That warning message should have been taking out long ago.

How to test: From time to time grab the flex shaft and feel a long the lenth to get an idea of it's nominal operating temperature. All flex shafts get warm, some warmer than others. You want to avoid it ever getting too hot, or hot spotting. It is normal for it to be a little warmer in the center than on the ends. Also, when using router bits, the flex shaft will run warmer than when carving.

We have had way more issues over lubing the flexshaft than under lubing it. So again, if it's not broke than don't fix it.

Thank you all,

rjp736
02-13-2007, 06:27 PM
Ok, I'll leave it. It gets kinda warm but not hot to the touch. Just thought I would stay a step ahead and lube it. But you're right...if it ain't broke don't fix it.

The Bard
02-14-2007, 12:22 AM
wow! THE Chris Rawls posted HERE?

didja see that! didja see?

OMG OMG OMG :shock:

dcurrysr
02-14-2007, 06:29 AM
Hey Chris, don't pay the Bard any attention, Your Post makes the best since yet. Thanks! :D