PDA

View Full Version : SEPT 2013 Project of the Month - The "Just Right" Child's Step Stool

mtylerfl
09-02-2013, 03:09 PM
Hello,

Here is a preview of the next Project of the Month (for SEPTEMBER 2013)...The "Just Right" Child's Step Stool!
Here’s a nice and quick project that will prove to come in handy for parents and grandparent’s alike! This Child’s Step Stool is “just right” to help the little ones reach the “potty” and the sink! The sides have 1,2,3 and A,B,C decorative vectors for the sample, but you can substitute anything you like for the side decor (or delete the decor altogether).

The project is carved and cut out using just the two bits that were included with your machine - no other bits are required.
Finished dimensions of the assembled project are about
13" W x 11" D x 9" H

Main items you will need:
1) The Project File (included):
• Stool_Side_Panels.mpc
• Stool_Top-and-Stringers.mpc

2) Boards with the following dimensions:
Side Panels mpc: .75" x 11" x 30"
Top and Stringers mpc: .75" x 11" x 31"
(Do not use boards that are smaller than specified above unless using an appropriate jig.)

3) 1/8" (0.125") diameter dowels, 9/64" drill bit

4) Sandpaper, drill, wood glue, clamps, wood stain and/or paint and clear finish

5) A Dremel-type rotary tool with assorted sanding wheels and bits to sand small details and speed up preparation for finishing.

Apply stain/paint and clearcoat of your choice. Here’s what I used on the sample step stool made from Select Pine:
• 3 coats Zinsser Bulls Eye Spray Shellac
• several light coats of Krylon Clear acrylic (spray)

Options for this project are endless...you can apply brightly colored acrylic paint to the letters/numbers, or change the design completely. Outlines of animals, cars, trucks, hot air balloons, and so on, are a few ideas. You can even delete the side panel design entirely, to make the side panel mpc a single-sided carve. The stringers offer a nice area for carving a child’s name, if desired. Have fun customizing the step stool!

jab73180
09-02-2013, 06:07 PM
Looks great....another great project Michael.

Smoken D
09-02-2013, 06:23 PM
Will have one coming that can use this. Good project Michael!

aokweld101
09-02-2013, 06:34 PM
nice project micheal, Have a grandson that was born 4 months ago, It won't be much longer he will be using it...give him more things to get into...it will be a grandparents revenge....lol;)

mtylerfl
09-02-2013, 09:25 PM
Thanks everyone! This project was inspired by my own grandchildren (ages 3 and 5 at time of this writing). They come over about every other weekend! I've now made three altogether...one for my daughter to take/keep home, one for our downstairs bathroom, and the one that I photo-documented for the PDF instructions which will go into the upstairs bathroom.

lawrence
09-02-2013, 09:41 PM
That project is truly "a step above" :)

Well done

Lawrence

rcdages
09-03-2013, 10:45 AM
Love the POM.

Even I can use this.

As one gets old one gets shorter................