PDA

View Full Version : head allignment

carpenter
09-01-2013, 04:25 PM
Ok I have tried the head allignment as posted and have not been successful when the head is cranked down the nonkeyboard side is tighter than keyboard side when I start to crankup the head the non keyboard side starts to go up first and I have to pull up the non keyboard side so it will raise up, so when it is down and ready to carve error appears on screen roller sensor error. please help

bergerud
09-01-2013, 04:59 PM
I have fixed a machine with the same problem. In that case it was caused by the nut on the non keyboard side of the head being stripped.

RogerB
09-01-2013, 05:04 PM
Just a guess could it be a cracked block. RingNeckBlues Blog (http://forum.carvewright.com/entry.php?172-RingNeckBlues-Blog)

henry1
09-01-2013, 05:26 PM
Hey roger what you doing tomorrow you working

carpenter
09-01-2013, 06:19 PM
so I'm guessing CW has the nut that I need It is under warranty did you find it to be an easy fix? I guess I will call the on tuesday

bergerud
09-01-2013, 06:57 PM
so I'm guessing CW has the nut that I need It is under warranty did you find it to be an easy fix? I guess I will call the on tuesday

Is it the nut? Have you looked or can you feel it slipping on the leadscrew?

I am talking about the leadscrew nut in part 8 of:

http://www.carvewright.com/assets/service/Service_instructions/CarveWright_service_level_head.pdf

carpenter
09-02-2013, 01:06 PM
Ok got it all put back together tried it this morning same thing roller tracking error I did not have this problem until saturday after a carving when I was cranking up the head and noticed it is out of alignment so I fixed that problem still have the tracking roller error do I need to some how reset the machine recalibrate or what I am at a loss of what to do

bergerud
09-02-2013, 01:40 PM
do I need to some how reset the machine recalibrate or what I am at a loss of what to do

There is no reset, it sounds like the original problem is still there. The tracking roller error means that the brass tracking roller data and the x drive encoder data did not agree. Most likely the problem is with the brass tracking roller. Does the brass roller leave nice tracking marks on the wood? Sandpaper belts can get rolled under and rubber belts can bulge to interfere with the roller. The board can slip on sandpaper belts (try masking tape under board).

Otherwise, check the x drive gears for a missing tooth.

Digitalwoodshop
09-02-2013, 02:12 PM
I went thought all your posts and did not see if you had a Rubber Belt or Sand Paper?

Like posted above, the Sand Paper Belts can ROLL Under on the brass roller side especially the one under the cut motor. I am cutting tags at the moment and as a Pre Flight of my machine I saw the Sand Paper belt under the cut motor was extended slightly over the roller on the out feed side. I got my long nose pliers and poked a hole thought the belt between the roller and tray and using the pliers and Rollin the belt by hand ripped off a 3/8 inch strip. I know then that 1. the belt is not rolled over and 2. that the brass roller will make good contact with the board.

If you have Rubber Belts then it is possible that while cleaning the machine you bumped the brass roller and it is now being touched by the Bulging Rubber Belt. It only bulges when cranked down.

And the Level Problem... A Rolled under sand paper belt will raise the board on one side.

And leveling problems... Look for the two 45 degree gears under the machine and the screw holding them tight, it is known to come loose.

And use the Z Data and a bit to touch both sides of the board left and right and look at how close the head is to level...

I have also had a screw that goes into the bottom of the machine into the smooth post that the head goes up and down on come loose back in the Vibrating QC days. It caused the head to lift when cranked down.

And like above... Check your X Gear Box for a missing tooth.

AL

When I do many narrow or 6 inch boards I get belt creep... It wears the belt on one side loosening it up slightly making it into a cone shape or taper and it walks toward the brass roller. Since 2007 I have only had 2 rolled belts at the in feed side, the rest have been the one under the cut motor. When I Rip the belt it ENDS broken X Gears.... You can see in picture 2 that the belt is even or slightly past the right side edge of the roller... In my pre flight of the machine, I check this and like today ripped the belt back to look like picture 1. Notice all the fine white plastic dust.... From cutting the tags even with a Ringneck blues collector.... Mostly me blowing the dust with the air hose checking cut depth....

carpenter
09-02-2013, 02:23 PM
I have rubber belts if the belts are bulging under head cranked down how to fix that problem. This problem only started after a completed carving When I raised the head up is when I noticed that the head was out of alignment I tried a carving yesterday and found the tracking sensor error before all this worked great.

Digitalwoodshop
09-02-2013, 02:27 PM
This is a common problem with rubber belts with a easy fix... Remove the Brass Roller Assembly and make the holes oval and mount more centered between the belts.

AL

bergerud
09-02-2013, 02:46 PM
Push the brass roller down with your thumb and see how close the O ring comes to the rubber belt. Mine comes very close but does not touch. Another test would be to measure a board without the O ring.

carpenter
09-02-2013, 03:47 PM
Thanks to all who gave me input and thanks to Al I did as you said and moved the sensor a little more towards the middle and it is working now it gave me the same error reading when the board was being fed to the back I put a roller stand back of machine to support the weight that did the trick. Thanks again guys for the help.