PDA

View Full Version : centerline bits

Elmo Sr
09-01-2013, 08:14 AM
i know i have to use 60* and or 90* bits, but can i use a bull nose bit? the ones i see at the store do not have the collar/collet on it. must i buy something else? also will any 1/4 shaft bit work as i have a ton of bits.

add any other info that i might need please

thanks for any help

Elmo Sr

Ton80
09-01-2013, 09:31 AM
You can use any bit you might wish.. I would stick with bits that are officially supported by the software though because you won't be able to get a preview of the project using a bit profile not supported by the software.

Select your text or centerline element, right click it and choose select bit... then assign any of the profiles to see how it will look. In most cases, anything other than the V-bits won't look great but a small round-nose bit can work on some carves.

You don't need to stick with CW bits as any 1/4" or 1/2" bit can be inserted in the Carvewright if you are using the ROCK or Carvetight chuck.. If you have the 1/2" collet chuck then you will need to use a collet adaptor on all 1/4" bits.

John

lawrence
09-01-2013, 09:32 AM
what chuck do you have? The rock chuck has multiple sizes of collets that can be used. In theory you could use any shape of plunging bit, but you'd really need to be careful about the depth as you could be hogging off a LOT more wood. Also, the results would be a bit unpredictable as you couldn't see them first.

If you want to do the same effect without centerline specifically, you can draw vectors using a variety of programs (including the 2d tools) If it is a font you'd like to do (so that you can control the depth), I did a post a while back here
http://forum.carvewright.com/showthread.php?17915-CorelDraw-DXF-Conforming-Vectors-ability-to-mimic-centerline-text-with-bit-depth&highlight=coreldraw

hope this helps,

Lawrence

Elmo Sr
09-01-2013, 12:16 PM
thanks for the information, i was going to stick with the standard bits maybe the bull nose but not sure, i have the C model it is new and i have the new style chuck and the bits that came with an adapter attached.