PDA

View Full Version : My first successful photo carving

lesbaker
02-13-2007, 04:29 PM
This is a "memory board" of my father. I made the project for my brother to hang on his wall, it is fairly large at 30" by 14". The project will ultimately be routed around the holes and I will place in some glass to act as a picture frame. The project was carved in some cheap "edge glued aspen" from Lowes. I didn't want to spend too much until I new how it would turn out. Overall I am very pleased and may carve in a nicer wood to see what the results will be. It is a little fuzzy but some sanding should take care of that. THis is my first attempt at attaching a photo so I hope it works, the angle of the picture makes a few areas look a little distorted but I think it should be fairly easy viewing.

GIZMO1D1
02-13-2007, 04:31 PM
thats very nice!...

BobHill
02-13-2007, 04:47 PM
Another good idea and well done, Les.

Bob

dpowli
02-13-2007, 10:07 PM
Very Nice!
The script looks excellent! Is it the infamous centerline text?

IM2HAPPI
02-14-2007, 03:20 AM
Awesome, so far you have the best photos carved into wood that I have seen, Great job. What program did you use to work on them to clean them up for carving ?

lesbaker
02-14-2007, 05:12 AM
Thanks guys. Yes, this is the infamous centerline text that was used, I actually used an older version of the software just for that purpose (1.029). The photos were touched up using photoshop, mostly with the dodge, burn and blur tools, they seem to work really well. I wish I could say that it was easy and I got it on my first try but it wasn't. I have been working on this project for about 3 weeks and have two other carvings that didn't turn out so nice, but in the end persistence paid off and I am happy with the carving.

Nick Chisel
02-14-2007, 03:38 PM
Les,
Great job. I just pick-up my machine from SEARS yesterday and tried a couple of tests. We now have a couple of machines in the neighborhood!

I tried on photo, but I need some work both on the photo and the Designer, it came out very flat.

Have fun :D