PDA

View Full Version : Maximum Pass Depth???

jbrunot01
08-28-2013, 02:36 PM
Does anyone else have this problem...

When I go to use the CUT PATH TOOL - A dialog box opens called CUT OUT CONTROL...

Down at the bottom is a field where you should be able to enter "Max Pass Depth"...

When I go to enter a number here - the field turns red and the OK button becomes grey and I cannot proceed.

ANY help would be much appreciated.

Thanks,

Jeff Brunot
Marietta, Ga

fwharris
08-28-2013, 02:48 PM
After checking the box input your pass depth in the red block area. As soon as you start typing the red background will go away and the OK button will be active..

lynnfrwd
08-28-2013, 02:50 PM
The amount should be something like .25 or .5 of an inch. It cannot be more than 1" or more than the thickness of the board. If you want it to all cut out at one time, do not select it. Remember if you make it too little, you are putting a lot of pressure on the two ends of the bit and it may snap. Most wood types can be made with one pass. Some may need two or three passes.

keninar
08-28-2013, 05:14 PM
Humm - That raises a question. From previous post: "If you want it to all cut out at one time, do not select it. Remember if you make it too little, you are putting a lot of pressure on the two ends of the bit and it may snap. Most wood types can be made with one pass. Some may need two or three passes."

Am I to take that to mean I can (should?) do my cutouts at full depth? Really? Perhaps I am merely painting legs on snakes, but I've done my cutouts for .75 thick material (usually cherry or walnut) in .25 increments. Any deeper and I fear for the integrity of the bit. (They won't break the bank, but don't have a bunch of them setting around.) Stepping the cutouts in this manner does extend the carving time.

Have I been screwing up for the past two years? (Note to self: Don't pose that same query to the spouse!)

keninar

lynnfrwd
08-28-2013, 06:01 PM
Every wood has different qualities, so it is not an easy question to answer or say full cut this wood; incremental cut that wood.

If it is working for you at .25" passes, stick with it. If you want to try it full depth, don't do it when you are down to your last bit and you've got a project deadline. Or, you can order the 3/16" cutting bit, which is heftier and should be able to handle those cuts.

Dan-Woodman
08-29-2013, 08:24 AM
Any project board is not worth the $40.00 bit price plus $12.00 shipping, when you can buy PGT scrollsaw blades for under $1.00 each and it gives you a "no sanding cut".

Ton80
08-30-2013, 07:03 PM
I would never run the cut out in one pass. Regardless of wood type. Too much stress on the bit and its going to drastically shorten the lifespan. This motor amounts to a light duty trim router and add the flex shaft length into the equation makes all the more reason to not stress the machine and bits.

When I used to have the machine run the cut outs for me I would always limit the cut to 3/16" per pass but that's me and I don't like to watch the flex shaft bounce around. Now I mark my cut path with a shallow vector carve and do the heavy cutting with shop tools more up to the task.