PDA

View Full Version : My version of the Bling box

badbert
08-28-2013, 01:07 AM
When we bought our house in Nov 2011. HUD had cleaned everything, and I mean everything, out of the house and garage. They even threw the remotes for the fans away! Everything except 6 wooden I-Beams tucked up in the rafters of the basement. My beautiful wife, Charlene King Creed (https://www.facebook.com/charlene.kingcreed?directed_target_id=0), brought them to me and asked what they were for? I didn't have a clue. Whatever they were had long since been forgotten and they had not seen daylight in decades. Think 5, 4 x 4's with a 1 inch rabbet cut in both sides. I knew by their color and weight, that it was oak. Ever heard the term Black oak? These boards were BLACK! They stayed tucked away in the rafters, until I thought of a good use for them. When we started cutting them up in strips, I couldn't believe what we had found!
These boards were ancient Quarter-sawn Oak! Quarter-sawn is an old method of cutting logs into boards. In the old days wood was abundant and cheap. So sawmills cut the logs to make the strongest boards possible, rather than the most boards possible. That is also what creates the specked grain you see on the front and inside back of the box.
The ancient trees grew where there parents dropped the seeds. So they grew much closer together. They got less light and water this this way. So they grew much slower than trees planted by man. This meant the growth rings were much closer together. Making the the wood denser and heavier than today.
I wanted to create something for my Daughter's (Marlena Lynn Taylor (https://www.facebook.com/marlenalt?directed_target_id=0)) birthday. I couldn't think of anything special, until my wife reminded me of the Oak beams!I really liked Mike Tyler's Bling box he made. So I tried to create my own version.

zan29
08-28-2013, 05:40 AM
Very very nice!

chebytrk
08-28-2013, 06:43 AM
Looks awesome!

CNC Carver
08-28-2013, 06:44 AM
Nice work Bert!

TerryT
08-28-2013, 07:33 AM
Nice work Bert.

lawrence
08-28-2013, 08:29 AM
lovely little box and your last pic says it all...

Lawrence

Bigtyme
08-28-2013, 12:05 PM
Nicely done, Bert and I really like the story about the beams. Quarter sawn anything is special these days, but you certainly have something to treasure and only use for those special projects such as the box you just did....

SharonB
08-28-2013, 06:33 PM
Bert... it is a lovely box. You daughter is a very luck woman to receive such a beautiful box along with the story about where the wood came from.

henry1
08-28-2013, 06:42 PM
When we bought our house in Nov 2011. HUD had cleaned everything, and I mean everything, out of the house and garage. They even threw the remotes for the fans away! Everything except 6 wooden I-Beams tucked up in the rafters of the basement. My beautiful wife, Charlene King Creed (https://www.facebook.com/charlene.kingcreed?directed_target_id=0), brought them to me and asked what they were for? I didn't have a clue. Whatever they were had long since been forgotten and they had not seen daylight in decades. Think 5, 4 x 4's with a 1 inch rabbet cut in both sides. I knew by their color and weight, that it was oak. Ever heard the term Black oak? These boards were BLACK! They stayed tucked away in the rafters, until I thought of a good use for them. When we started cutting them up in strips, I couldn't believe what we had found!
These boards were ancient Quarter-sawn Oak! Quarter-sawn is an old method of cutting logs into boards. In the old days wood was abundant and cheap. So sawmills cut the logs to make the strongest boards possible, rather than the most boards possible. That is also what creates the specked grain you see on the front and inside back of the box.
The ancient trees grew where there parents dropped the seeds. So they grew much closer together. They got less light and water this this way. So they grew much slower than trees planted by man. This meant the growth rings were much closer together. Making the the wood denser and heavier than today.
I wanted to create something for my Daughter's (Marlena Lynn Taylor (https://www.facebook.com/marlenalt?directed_target_id=0)) birthday. I couldn't think of anything special, until my wife reminded me of the Oak beams!I really liked Mike Tyler's Bling box he made. So I tried to create my own version.
well guest have to post mine bling box out of marble maple had a hard time to find this type of wood thx to my buddy roger that help me find the perfect wood
it was for wedding present

TerryT
08-28-2013, 08:52 PM
Wow, Henry! That is absolutely gorgeous!

badbert
08-28-2013, 11:26 PM
Wow Henry! That is beautiful! I agree the curves of this beautiful design, call for just the right wood! And you and Roger made an excellent choice!

henry1
08-29-2013, 04:13 AM
Thank you for the compliment guys

rcdages
08-29-2013, 10:10 AM
Great job on the box.

Really a wonderful gift.........

keninar
08-29-2013, 10:31 AM
Beautiful!!! Your mention of "Mike Tyler's Bling box " caught my eye. Is this a project that is available in the CW store?

Again - Excellent execution. Makes me want to get back out in the shop!!!

ken

RogerB
08-29-2013, 04:34 PM
It does look good have to save some maple for my carve.Henry nice work. Your welcome. O yours looks great badbert.

eelamb
08-29-2013, 07:12 PM
Bert and Henry, both of your look great.