PDA

View Full Version : Z Stall 06-313

chebytrk
08-27-2013, 08:46 AM

I have a mpc that I'm trying to carve and can't seem to get passed the initial measuring stage to start my carve. The project seems fairly simple. I have a friend that wants to cover up his door bell with a sign so people won't ring his doorbell (renting an apartment). His dogs go crazy when bell rings and solicitors are always coming by.
Anyway, we figured that the back pocket of the sign would need to be about 3/4" deep so it would go over the door bell switch. I believe I've done it right and looks OK to me. The front side, I just made a simple "Welcome to our Home" text. Didn't want it to be a square sign so I redesigned it a little to cut out later with a band saw.
I have a 19" board that's 1" thick and 6 1/4 wide. I used the Al Who "method" masking tape (as always). I center the project, say no to rollers and it measures length of board fine. When it starts to measure the width the bit goes down on the pad side, then touches the board, then goes back to pad side, then goes to edge (width) of board. Goes down once, moves over & goes down and stays down.... z stall... Any recommendations? Board appears fine, flat and straight. The board is oak so it's heavier than what I usually use, but then I've never really carved a 1" board either. I usually carve on 3/4" from HD or LOWES. This one is thicker just so it will cover that door bell switch. Could it be that the edge of the board is not completely smooth? It's still straight from what I can see, just doesn't appear to be a smooth cut along that edge. Here's the mpc... Thanks... "mi familia".:)

bergerud
08-27-2013, 09:02 AM
If I remember, that behavior of stalling at on the sliding plate was caused by the "drilled hole" in the tracking plate. The bit goes down too far on the pad side (into the hole) and then stalls on the plate side. Look for the hole next to the brass roller.

bergerud
08-27-2013, 10:22 AM
Here is a post and some pictures by Smoken D

http://forum.carvewright.com/showthread.php?16840-Z-stall-error-313&p=142653#post142653

lynnfrwd
08-27-2013, 10:40 AM
What version of Designer are you using?

chebytrk
08-27-2013, 11:50 AM
I'm using 1.87
Connie I was also planning on sending you an email cause it's my CW (under warranty)& has started air carving again. I have an old file I got from you a while back to reset my CW. I used it again and reset all & then reloaded 1.87. Loaded fine, but still air carves for first 5-6 swipes before making contact on the board. you think that might have something t do with it? I haven't manually recalibrated CW with document yet cause maybe I should wait to get another "reset" file first? I'll wait til I hear something from you first. Tnx.

lynnfrwd
08-27-2013, 01:10 PM
Same file should work. Doesn't make sense to me to loose calibration. Run manual as well.

chebytrk
08-27-2013, 02:12 PM
OK... I'll try the manual calibration. I also checked and the pad side "cross hair" is fine and has no drill marks whatsoever.

Same file should work. Doesn't make sense to me to loose calibration. Run manual as well.

lynnfrwd
08-27-2013, 02:47 PM
Raster with feather always starts above. Vector would be the issue.

chebytrk
08-27-2013, 03:36 PM
Actually that particular mpc does have feather and raster carving. However, I did notice that when I carved another plaque and used centerline text, it was also air carving when I first placed the V60 bit in. As soon as I saw it begin to carve the first letter as "air carve" I paused the CW and manually moved the bit down the adapter about 1/8" and it then started carving the letter on the board.

lynnfrwd
08-27-2013, 04:21 PM
Check your z-belt.

Do a square inch at .250 depth and then measure.

Call a hardware tech at 713-473-6572.

It should not be loosing it's calibration.

Digitalwoodshop
08-27-2013, 07:43 PM
Try the project with a thinner board and see if you get past that point... don't let it carve.

Hole in the Brass Roller
Dusty Z Encoder
Bad FFC or FSC Cable... (same thing)
Bit installed TOO long or too short?????
Carve will be TOO Deep, machine "Tilt" for the young guys.... It's a old Pin Ball Game thing.... When you shake the machine.

AL

chebytrk
09-06-2013, 08:20 AM
Just wanted to update on my "air carving" issue. After receiving another "recalibrate" file all is working fine (maybe the prior one was corrupt). Thanks Connie! As soon as I reset it all and ran the same ol' project I noticed right away that the bit actually started carving on the board on it's first pass. Thanks again ma'am.

chebytrk
09-06-2013, 08:23 AM
Just asking for a "2d look" at my mpc please. Now that my CW is working fine (no air carves), I'd just like for someone to check my mpc to make sure it looks OK to try and carve. Thanks everyone. JerryB

I have a mpc that I'm trying to carve and can't seem to get passed the initial measuring stage to start my carve. The project seems fairly simple. I have a friend that wants to cover up his door bell with a sign so people won't ring his doorbell (renting an apartment). His dogs go crazy when bell rings and solicitors are always coming by.
Anyway, we figured that the back pocket of the sign would need to be about 3/4" deep so it would go over the door bell switch. I believe I've done it right and looks OK to me. The front side, I just made a simple "Welcome to our Home" text. Didn't want it to be a square sign so I redesigned it a little to cut out later with a band saw.
I have a 19" board that's 1" thick and 6 1/4 wide. I used the Al Who "method" masking tape (as always). I center the project, say no to rollers and it measures length of board fine. When it starts to measure the width the bit goes down on the pad side, then touches the board, then goes back to pad side, then goes to edge (width) of board. Goes down once, moves over & goes down and stays down.... z stall... Any recommendations? Board appears fine, flat and straight. The board is oak so it's heavier than what I usually use, but then I've never really carved a 1" board either. I usually carve on 3/4" from HD or LOWES. This one is thicker just so it will cover that door bell switch. Could it be that the edge of the board is not completely smooth? It's still straight from what I can see, just doesn't appear to be a smooth cut along that edge. Here's the mpc... Thanks... "mi familia".:)

bergerud
09-06-2013, 09:00 AM
It looks good to me. One side is a little wider than the other. 6.618 Vs 7.919 radius. That is all I see that could be tweaked.

chebytrk
09-06-2013, 09:02 AM
Thank you sir! :D

It looks good to me. One side is a little wider than the other. 6.618 Vs 7.919 radius. That is all I see that could be tweaked.